Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonicStage

• 07-09-2005 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

yeah I know this programme sucks before I get berated for using such a piece of crap. But I've a sony nw-hd1 and I've lost my disc and my laptop died, taking sonicstage version 2.0 with it, so I'm wondering if I download version 3 will it still be compatible? I cant find any info regarding this query on the sony website

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Cant answer you question (I'd imagine it is compatible though)

But SonicStage is far from the piece of trash its made out to be (at least the 3.1 version I have isn't)

It transfered my 1,500 song on to my NW-HD5 fine (40 mins or so), its easy to group songs into artists etc (So Red Hot Chili Peppers && Red Hot Chilli Peppers are easily put into one group)

Making playlists is easy. Conversion from wmas to Atrac3 is fine.

Whatever about its history, I think its a grand bit of software! (And it'll soon be replaced by 'Connect Player' announced today along with a few new walkmans (Nice OLED displays)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There may be comaptability issues with the firmware on the the HD-1, and I'm not sure if there is an update. If your unit is able to play native mp3s without conversion to atrac (I recall something about a firmware update to make it like the HD-3) then it *might* work with 3.1....if not you'll have to use the 2.0 or 2.1 versions as anything from 2.3 upwards is for mp3 functionality.

[edit]
    Here's info about the hd-1 upgrade;

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=NWHD1&news_id=63

You have to send the unit to Laredo Texas (wtf?)

I might have my original install disc for 2.1 lying about somewhere...I'll take a look.

[edit 2] Oh you may be f*cked as reinstalling SS on any PC other than the one the player was originally "bound" to will likely make any music on your player non-playable....there may be a workaround for it or something but I remember reading about people having problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

I read on engadget Sony's going to scrap the SonicStage program.

I'm not really in a position to comment on SonicStage's useability so i won't, suffice 2say i would never buy a sony MP3 player anyway so i'll never experience it

I read on engadget Sony's going to scrap the SonicStage program.

I'm not really in a position to comment on SonicStage's useability so i won't, suffice 2say i would never buy a sony MP3 player anyway so i'll never experience it

I dunno...it comes in for a lot of criticism but I've used it and it's predecessors with my MD player for years and haven't had anymore trouble than I've had with any other program. Granted it's not an intuitive UI and takes gettign used to, but I've never had the crash problems or freezes that you hear so much about.
    For my vaio pocket I use the Vaio Transfer utility to move my mp3s to the player and only use sonicstage for putting CDs on to the player or editing the stuff already on there.

All that aside, I'd like to see Sony ditching the DRM thing and just going for the drag and drop external disc method, but since one of their sister companies is a big record label/producer, they kinda have a vested interest in trying to curtail music piracy....but it's like pissing in the wind at this stage.

Wertz wrote:
    it's like pissing in the wind, at this stage.

Pun intended?? :D

• Advertisement

Pun intended?? :D

Heh...usually it would be but I honestly didn't even spot that one lol

The unintentional ones are ALWAYS the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've only ever used 3.2 with my HiMD and I haven't had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

hey I dl'd version 3.2 and it worked fine. Its 100 times better than version 2.1 that came with the HD1.I didnt have any probelms with the unit being "tied" the original PC, thank god. Thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've always been a MiniDisc owner, have an Hi-MD RH-10 now. Made some live audio recordings and uploaded them to SonicStage 3.2 last week. This upgrade to 3.2 has abolished the DRM issue so you can upload your live recorded tracks an unlimited number of times. I then burned the tracks out on to audio CD and the quality amazed me. I'm still a firm believer in the MD being #1 for recording live.

As for sonic stage, I've had it since 1.5 and had very little complaints. The latest version is very good, and I've never had a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I have Sonicstage 3.1 and it runs fine,but is there much difference between 3.1 and 3.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Beekay wrote:
    I have Sonicstage 3.1 and it runs fine,but is there much difference between 3.1 and 3.2.

Yeah the main difference is the abolition of the restrictions on uploading tracks to your PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Can anybody give me a link to where i can download the 3.2 version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Beekay wrote:
    Can anybody give me a link to where i can download the 3.2 version?

this is where I got it http://www.connect-europe.com/IE/en/website/static/node942.html. to download, click the link on the top right hand corner. It'll scan your pc for system requirements first, then it'll download

Advertisement