Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N.I. Vs England

• 07-09-2005 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Holy ****, as a life long England fan that was **** the team was **** and Sven should be sacked, fair play to NI who deserved the game and played there socks off.. well done N.I. no complaints

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lol cant wait to watch your on sky sports if they lose should be class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Quite possibly the funniest result ever. When Sven was reduced to bringing on Owen Hargreaves to try and rescue the game, that's where I had to be carted off in genuine hysterics. Quality :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

it would be hilarious if we didnt lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

England steeped that Austria only drew in Azerbaijan tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bizmark wrote:
    Lol cant wait to watch your on sky sports if they lose should be class

should be very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

It was funny England were a joke of a team. The only player worthy to play a game was Wright-Phillips. the rest were a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What were the odds on the North winning? I heard talk of 25-1, although I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Rooney is a feckin idiot. Who does he think he is. He should talk with his feet and not gob off. Now hes booked, well done.

Fair play to Beckham, at least he tried, some people couldnt even be bothered.

I agree with the first post, N.I. deserved it on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus sven is going to do well to talk this one away. Hes going to be the master of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They need to be brave abd get rid of him for the good of the team. They have the potential to be a genuine world class team but sven seems determind to **** it up for them.

They need a strong manager with a will to pick the right team not the best eleven players. They could really do with a roy keane too, Carrick seems to be the closest they have. He needs to become a celebrity like Gerrard or Lampard, maybe then he'll get a proper run and they can be a proper team.

On a different note, holy crap, scotland won. Are they actually going to pull it off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go
    Sven Must Go

er Sven Must Go.

Mike.

ps g'wan Kenny Miller.

Rooney is a feckin idiot. Who does he think he is. He should talk with his feet and not gob off. Now hes booked, well done..

He really does need to learn to shut up. Plus his petulant (sp?) arm leading jump was very similar to what mido got sent off for last week. Very childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Great result for the north. :) Healy does it again... legend.

Lee Dixon (on the bbcni) kept calling northern ireland - 'ireland' so at least one irish team can win.

<also i was waiting for them to play the 'national anthem' twice ... it didnt happen. :confused: >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The tabloids should be hilarious tomorrow.

England in their last 2 games were awful, and IMO, were very very lucky to beat the Welsh.

What a way for Svens undefeated streak in qualifiers to go!!! May the witch hunt begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hahahaha....

Where are all the "England are world class", "Rooney is the next pele", "Beckham is world class winger", "they might win the world cup" lads now??? :D

Look at their performances and results over the last few years....they're sh!te and over-rated, and this kind of result was a long time coming. Their 3rd seed team couldn't even beat azerbajan....if they had a group that was only half retarded they wouldn't even qualify....they're in a group full of retard teams...and they'll probably only make the play-off.

Sven must stay !! we all want England to keep losing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

England are ****e and so are Northern Ireland :D

And the Republic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

DubGuy wrote:
    Hahahaha....

Where are all the "England are world class", "Rooney is the next pele", "Beckham is world class winger", "they might win the world cup" lads now??? :D

Look at their performances and results over the last few years....they're sh!te and over-rated, and this kind of result was a long time coming. Their 3rd seed team couldn't even beat azerbajan....if they had a group that was only half retarded they wouldn't even qualify....they're in a group full of retard teams...and they'll probably only make the play-off.

I agree it's funny. But we have to say well done to Northern Ireland.
    I don't think we can laugh at any team losing tonight, when we are forth in our group and we lost tonight too.

sjones wrote:
    I don't think we can laugh at any team losing tonight, when we are forth in our group and we lost tonight too.

England and Northern Ireland!

What's the difference? They both sing the same national anthem :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well , done to Northern ireland and David Healy in peticular he often plays up front alone for Northern Ireland with no support and little quality of service to him yet he still manages to score goals and is NI's record goalscorer (19 goals ?) the man really is quality .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    What were the odds on the North winning? I heard talk of 25-1, although I'm not too sure.

There were 100 - 1 at one stage. But who would have thought...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Sven seems to have some sort of hold over the British Media. He's had 2 very public affairs, has led some very talented players to mediocrity and he's foreign. Previous 'English' managers have suffered from the press for a lot less. I think it's hilarious though. If the England team had the same menatality as the Irish they'd be World Cup winners more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

England and Northern Ireland!

What's the difference? They both sing the same national anthem :rolleyes:

Northern Ireland wear green and have Ireland in their name.
    England don't.
    Some would say that's reason enough to support them.

Do you not consider the Six Counties as Irish?
    Who would you say Martin O'Neill or Gerry Armstrong were cheering for in that game?

From flicking between the channels tonight I didn't see one Rangers shirt in Windsor Park. Pity I can't say the same for those muppets in Lansdowne who feel more loyalty to a Scottish club than their own country and can't keep their mouths shirt when an ex-Rangers player takes the field.

The Northern Irish team unfortunately don't represent the 6 counties of Northern Ireland.

Not after what happened to Neil Lennon. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

sjones wrote:

True, Well done to Northen Ireland, they deserved it, but there's a slight diference in losing to France (with a few players in the team with world cup and european cup winners medals), and losing to N.Ireland. (world ranked 116...107 places behind France). Also, we'll still make the play-offs from a imeauserably tougher group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Northern Irish team unfortunately don't represent the 6 counties of Northern Ireland.

The actions of a minority who boo/abuse players shouldn't be used to condemn the whole support. I know a number of guys who work for the same company as me who continue to attend N.I. games and they are Catholics. They simply support the country of their birth. The fact that it may be a statelet formed out of bigotry is not the point - and the Republic does not represent them either.

Booing Rangers/ex Rangers is no different. The fact is that some N.I. fans booed their own player because of the club he played for, not because of his religion - just some of the aforementioned ROI fans do.

Why hasnt there been outrage over Lennon's position?

The England team threatened to go on strike over Rio Ferdinand missing a drug test.

What is worse a death threat or a missed drug test?

BTW, those people who boo Rangers players at "Republic" matches are sad pathetic ****ers. I agree with you there.

However I know 2 lads from Derry that totally turned away from the N.I soccer team after what happened Lennon. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

think i've supported england on more occasions over the years than norn iron
    but was delighted to hear they won. biggest cheer of the night when the latest score flashed across the screen in the pub tonight(just after henry's goal).
    Just watched the game and they deserved it,
    well done norn iron!!

not too worried about the french result, we'll beet the swiss at home and get a play-off against some beatable teams like turkey, norway, slovakia or england ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

daveirl wrote:

Very true, give me England any day over that crowd.

exactly. Look at what the england side did when ferdinand was messed about with his drugs. They all striked. What did northern irish players do ? continue on as usual. That attitute alone is a fúcking disgrace. No wonder nationalists cant support norn iron.

Norn Iron may have won last night and we lost but at the end of the day we are going to qualify and they havent a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

jubbly wrote:
    Norn Iron may have won last night and we lost but at the end of the day we are going to qualify and they havent a chance
    I'm sorry, what Ireland team have you been watching in the last few games?

yes I have seen them all,

time to be positive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does anyone have a clip or a link to the Healy goal? I hear it was a sweet strike. Google has turned up nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

they were 25-1.

i stuck a fiver on them before the game.....easy money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I stuck a fiver on them and Scotland double, looking at a 450ish return.

I stuck a fiver on them and Scotland double, looking at a 450ish return.

Sweet!

This site has most of the latest goals but doesn't have the English ones yet. Might be up later today sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

daveirl wrote:
    Perfect summary. It really irritated me that so many people wherer I was watching were cheering when they scored. I had to push a few of them out of the way so I could continue to watch our match.

I would have loved to see England put six past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

daveirl wrote:
    I couldnt agree more.
    Well said.
    It's just typical... we cheer on our enemy's enemy, no matter who they are...

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveirl
    The people in the pub I was in cheered too and all I could think of is how the
    people at the Northern Irish match were bloody delighted we lost. They hate us,
    anyone who thinks otherwise is being pretty naive. At least the English would
    have wanted us to beat France.

All I think of when I think of Northen Irish football is the match in Windsor
    Park when trying to qualify for USA '94. We were treated like ****. Then you
    have the Neil Lennon incident. Or the constant sectarianism at Windsor Park. Or
    how about the fact Northen Irish football is so bigoted that Derry play in our
    league. I'm so far from a Republican it's not even funny but how anyone can
    support Northern Ireland is beyond me.

A sad state of affairs. Makes me angry about last night

Just thinking about the north, they have nothing up there. Its a desolte place with little hope for anyone. No decent jobs, high violance, religous hatred etc, stupid parades, they have nothing else. They are never going to make a world cup again so you kinda feel sorry for them. All they can ever hope to do is pull of an amazing victory when a big team isnt on top form and cheer on who ever is playing Ireland.

Anyone else hear the story on the radio this morning of NI fans from the Shankhill road going to the match . They were listening to the fields of Athenry and republican songs on the way to Windsor...........they're not all bigots .

Big Ears wrote:
    the fields of Athenry and republican songs... not bigots .

lol ;)

in fairness they are all bigots bigears
    Soccer predictions(year 2) : Ireland to top their qualifiying group , Shelbourne for the Eircom League , Chelsea to retain the Premiership , Bryan Robson to be sacked as a Premiership manager . Andy Johnson to disappear into the abyss by the middle of the season .
    not going to well so far :D

jubbly wrote:
    in fairness they are all bigots bigears

not going to well so far :D

on the contrary , 3 of them are on course to happen .
    Are all Irish (Republic of Ireland) people bigots because of those idiots who boo former Rangers players when they play against Ireland ?........obviously not and most of us are against those people . Sure there is probably a higher percentage of bigotry from the NI fans but I honestly don't beleive 100% are like that .

Big Ears wrote:
    3 of them are on course to happen .

Depends on what you define as 'the Abyss' though.

Just to clarify, were you saying that because people showed up to the Northern Irish game last night listening to Republican songs that they aren't bigots?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Depends on what you define as 'the Abyss' though.

Just to clarify, were you saying that because people showed up to the Northern Irish game last night listening to Republican songs that they aren't bigots?

Depends on what you define as 'Republican songs' though
    I reckon people sometimes class all Irish ballads as 'Republican Songs'.
    The Fields of Athenry is about a guy who is sent to Australia as a convict for stealing to feed his family.
    Fair enough he rebelled and they cut him down but he he is not singing about any great victory over or harrowing loss to any other section of the community in 1850s East Galway.!!!

What makes people think the Fields of Athenry is a republican song are those idiots who like to shout 'Sein Fein, IRA' in the middle of it, and they are no better than any bigots at Windsor park.

To be blatantly honest, I couldn't care less about what the Fields of Athenry is about. Its a Republican song and nobody can deny that. I'm sure there were the "Sinn Fein / IRA" chants thrown in last night.

I know that this is totall OT but i have to post
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    To be blatantly honest, I couldn't care less about what the Fields of Athenry is about. Its a Republican song and nobody can deny that
    If you care less about that it is about how can you know if it's a Republican song or not.

'Get out ye Black n Tans' is a Republican song, 'Sean South ' is a republican song, you can tell by the lyrics but the Fields of Athenry is not a republican song, I'm sure Ian St John cringes evertime he hears it refereed to as a republican song and hear the iditioc 'Sein fein, IRA' thrown in.

You know why so many people think it's a Republican Song, or like to think it's a republican song
    Cos it was first sung at football matched by Celtic fans
    Celtic = Irish, Catholic, anti Rangers = Republican = Up the RA !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LFCFan wrote:
    Sven seems to have some sort of hold over the British Media. He's had 2 very public affairs, has led some very talented players to mediocrity and he's foreign. Previous 'English' managers have suffered from the press for a lot less. I think it's hilarious though. If the England team had the same menatality as the Irish they'd be World Cup winners more than once.

He has a hold over the FA who are, to a man, cowards. The press would keel haul him from Lands Ends to Hadrians Wall in a flash.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement