Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in buying a widescreen TV

Options
  • 07-09-2005 10:00pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to apologise at the start of this and say that I really don't know anything about TVs, I'm posting this on my mother's behalf. Basically, our television stopped working a couple of weeks ago because we had a powercut - it is five or six years old and we were told it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to try get it fixed. The problem is that my mother doesn't know which type of television to go for.
    She's looked in a few different shops and cannot decide what is the best deal. The choices are:
    - A Bush television for €329
    - A Philips television for €409
    - A Samsung television for €410
    - A Sony television for about €480
    - A Panasonic television for about €480

I don't know the exact models of these televisions, but they are all 28" widescreens. The Samsung, Sony and Panasonic televisions include stands, the Bush and Philips don't but have a stand to go with them that costs about €65. The Bush one seems to be the best price but it's so suspiciously low that we can't help thinking it might be really basic or something. We are getting Sky Digital in a few weeks and my mother said she doesn't want to find that she buys a TV that isn't compatible with the system - I don't even know if that's possible, but it would be better to find out first. I just want someone to give some advice on what would be the best option to go for - which brand would probably make the best televisions? None of us really know much about the different brands so I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me. Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm.

Firstly, avoid the Bush, and if possible, avoid the Philips too (with their sometimes iffy CRT tubes).

The Samsung's are pretty good this past few years, they've well improved and would have no qualms buying one myself. Their reliability seems grand.

The Sony and Panasonic also are fantastic sets, and are just about worth the extra few quid. Though I absolutely loathe the current style the Sony model has, but I suppose looks aren't everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I agree with Byte re: the sony styling on their TV's - really terrible in my opinion.

Also in relation to the Bush - I would stay well away from them.

I would be tempted by the Phillips if you were tight with the cash and I have never had any problems with them, but to be safe I would recommend the Panasonic (hence the price)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Reccomend the Panny to, always thought their image quality was the best when I was demoing them a few years ago.

Any of those TV's will have no problem with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

So where's a good place that offers Widescreen TVs?
    I'm looking for at least 32" (not necessarily LCD or Plasma), don't need a stand, prefer to have none. And do they all have S-video in? Love to be able to hook up my PC.

Power City?
    Buyandsell.ie?
    Did Lidl or Aldi ever have any dood ones on offer or were they all cheap crap?
    I saw a 42" Plasma in Aldi for 1,499 the other day, seemed like a good deal.

Advertisement