Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up network

Options
  • 07-09-2005 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Looking to setup a home wired network. The electrician quoted 6k to get the whole thing done included equipment. :eek: :confused: So I'm gonna buy the components myself.

350m Cat6 cable
    16 port gigabit switch
    crimping tool
    rj45 plugs

Anything else needed? ie setting up the wall sockets etc. Any help on cheaper pricing or useful ideas are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

6k yikes!
    I'm assuming he was going to be running the cables under the floorboards and inside walls for that kind of money?
    Are you planning on doing the same, or is this an under-the-carpet jobbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

You should get rj-45 sockets. unless you want cables sticking out of the walls.
    Also the sockets don't require a crimper either.

Also do you really need a gig switch?
    Here is a 100 meg Linksys
    I doubt you would notice the difference and in a couple of years you could buy a gig switch when they the cost €50 and hard drive technology has caught up

Also a patch panel may be handy

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yep, underfloor upstairs and downstairs. A gig switch is not really needed, but the cat6 cable is for future proofing. ie not tearing up the house again to relay cable.

rj45 sockets sound good, where would you get them? And what's a patch panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

6 grand is a bit steep. What did this price include? Is this a new house? Sorry bout the questions bu im interested in getting this done. It's definatly the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

make sure when laying the cable it must not be pulled as it damages the cable. no right-angle bends! when laying the cable it must not run alongside electrical wires and if crossing wires must do so at right-angles to cut down on electromagnetic interference. hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

if your going near electrial wires specifications decitate that the minimun distance you should maintain is 1m! Infact I would put the cable into conduit to cut down on electromagnetic interference...

Looking to setup a home wired network. The electrician quoted 6k to get the whole thing done included equipment. :eek: :confused: So I'm gonna buy the components myself.

350m Cat6 cable
    16 port gigabit switch
    crimping tool
    rj45 plugs

Anything else needed? ie setting up the wall sockets etc. Any help on cheaper pricing or useful ideas are appreciated.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE them RJ45 plugs. They are Cat 5 rated not cat6! You need special RJ45 plugs for cat 6 to work properly! They contain a little black thing in the plug that seperates the wires and cuts down on interferance. I cant be arsed finding a link for the right now! Will do later! CT Electric stock them! Think they are €15 for a box of 50 or something like that!

Sweet galwaydude thx. That would of been a major cockup.

I'm not sure what that included spartacus. It was a general estimation. I'm assuming cables, sockets and hub and maybe a server and of course labour. Also it's renovating a old house. The floorboards are being ripped up so it's a chance to lay down some cable. The wireless is unreliable. ie some good days and some bad days even though the router is in exactly the same place.

greglo23 wrote:
    make sure when laying the cable it must not be pulled as it damages the cable. no right-angle bends! when laying the cable it must not run alongside electrical wires and if crossing wires must do so at right-angles to cut down on electromagnetic interference. hope this helps.
    if your going near electrial wires specifications decitate that the minimun distance you should maintain is 1m! Infact I would put the cable into conduit to cut down on electromagnetic interference...
    Ok, lol that's exactly what I was going to do cos I remember the network sockets being close the the plugs in college.

also the wall sockets need to be cat6 rated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

This is a guide but Its a bit old but the basics are the same
    http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/networking.php

I've put cat5 around my house and some of it is running along side power cables. and i've on had these running cables running at 100% capacity with no problems. But cat6 may be more sensitive

Dec

Advertisement