Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal of Honor European Assault.

Options
  • 07-09-2005 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

So, finally got this on xbox after a few odd plays here and there. (a lovely surprise present)

First thing that struck me - and I don't know how I didn't notice really before - the visuals are absolutely muck. It looks:

a) Ropier then Frontline, a game MoH game released in 2002.
    b) Ropier then nearly even Red Faction, an FPS game released in 2001.

Whats the deal? Why are the visuals so crap and ugly? It really takes away from the game. I loved Frontline, I loved the original, Rising Sun was not great at all but playable, but this is just horrible entirely. What the hell went wrong? Was it developed by different people but still published by EA or what's the story?

Ugh. So damn annoyed. I turned it off after 10 minutes. Ugly, horrible, stupid game. I have played it before, but only briefly and didn't really think it was THIS bad....guess I'll have to pop the excellent Frontline back into the box and leave EA to the bottom of the pile...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it looks a little better than frontline (play it again, after the first 3 levels it gets really ropey). The graphics are decent enough for a PS2 which the game was designed to run on. Remember the game was designed to have as many enemies and AI friendlies running around which really taxes the PS2's meagre ram which means it's low quality textures and dull geometry the whole way through. Thought european assault was a decent game, much better than frontline, which ran out of steam after the first 3 levels imo. Frontline was only well received and seemed good because it was the best the PS2 had to offer at the time. It is now severely outclassed. MOH:EA has it's flaws but over all I enjoyed it. Just because the graphics aren't up to Halos quality don't write it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Retr0gamer wrote:
    much better than frontline, which ran out of steam after the first 3 levels imo.

Bigtime. Though it did pick up a bit with the 'arnhem knights' level, but overall there hasnt really been a great moh console game since the original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have been playing Frontline in and out the odd bit, and I think it's much more fun, let alone visually superior to European Assault.

Frontline had fantastic character models, and nice enviroments. Weapon models were good.

European Assault has low detailed characters with appalling textures. Weapon models look clunky and poor. I'm not one to slam a game for its visuals, I am more of a gameplay man, but when you are coming from a line of visually decent games its a bit odd to take a step back for the latest installment. Gameplay over visual, but it would take a bit away say if Halo 3 had worse graphics then Halo original? Just as an example.

I don't know, I've yet to get fully into it, I'm sure I will like it nonetheless but I still think it's awful poor, even for a ps2 (I have the xbox version). Brothers in Arms, Call of Duty, Frontline, Rising Sun, Killzone etc, all recent enough FPS games bar Frontline for the most part, and stomp all over EA visually. I know the ps2 is struggling along now, but it can do better then what European Assault offers.

And for the record, the best Level in Frontline is probably Arnhem Nights or the one where you are rambling around the Dutch countryside shooting Germans. ;)

I planned going home and playing European Assault for a few hours after work, but now I think I've involuntarily made myself decide to go home and play Frontline. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Just get yourself a copy of brothers in arms, much better ww2 game than any moh game :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And for the record, the best Level in Frontline is probably Arnhem Nights or the one where you are rambling around the Dutch countryside shooting Germans. ;)

I liked those levels but it was only because michael giachiannos music for those two levels was superb. Arnhem was really ropey. Lots of enemies spawning in from nowhere.

Don't be put off by the graphics, the game is great fun.

Didn't really get into brothers in arms myself. Have to boot it up and it another try.
    Gameplay over visual, but it would take a bit away say if Halo 3 had worse graphics then Halo original?

Can't agree less. Halo 2 looks far better than Halo 1 and I much prefer the original.

• Advertisement

Ah yes Retro but thats sorta the point - Halo 2 looks better. As its a sequel. Surely EA should have been the same. But on that note actually, I much prefer Halo over Halo 2 myself. And besides, for Halo, it goes from great visuals to fantastic tweaked visuals. MoH goes sadly from Great to rubbish.

Anyway, I'll play it a bit more tonight, see how it goes. Suppose no point passing such severe judgement after a few levels. Might surprise me. :)

As for Brothers in Arms, yes I had that on the xbox before, great game actually. Nice change from MoH.

Did Michael Giachiano do the score for EA? So far, I've noticed nothing quite as amazing as the music in MoH or Frontline, which really makes the series for me.....I still think the music in the first game is my favourite, I've even caught myself humming it during work before even though I hadn't played the game in about 2 years. :o

It's a different composer for European Assault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm... I gave up on the Medal of Honor series after the farce that was Frontline.... The first two were good back in the day, but theyre really a pale shadow of what they used to be.

Which, in the words of Rivers Cuomo, is such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. Why did you even buy a MOH game? I thought we (the internet) had finally agreed that EA are evil, and any series with regular-as-clockwork "sequels" was really evil :mad:
    2. Why even keep a crap game, when you can just demand your money back?
    3. Why try to play FPS on consoles, when its natural home is with a mouse & keyboard??
    Gahh!!!

On a sidenote, stop buying the magazine that recommended this travesty to you, and read something better.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    1. Why did you even buy a MOH game? I thought we (the internet) had finally agreed that EA are evil, and any series with regular-as-clockwork "sequels" was really evil :mad:
    2. Why even keep a crap game, when you can just demand your money back?
    3. Why try to play FPS on consoles, when its natural home is with a mouse & keyboard??
    Gahh!!!

On a sidenote, stop buying the magazine that recommended this travesty to you, and read something better.

1. Moh on the PSone was the greatest FPS ever to hit the 32bit consoles, and possibly that entire generation. Secondly, Frontline, the ps2 sequel, is a fantasic game and is widely considered from middling to excellent. You'll find no bad reviews generally speaking of the game. So naturally I had to buy the latest installment after the slightly crap Rising Sun. Also, companies don't make sequels for a loss. They make them because the consumer, you and I, buy the sequels and believe it or not, want more.

2. It was a present.

3. After half the day on a computer at work and at home, its nice to be able sit in front of my plasma with a controller and relax. Also, the best FPS I have ever played, Halo and its sequel, are 1 - home on the xbox and 2 - Halo original is actually better on the xbox then it is on pc.

Btw, I don't actually read many magazines. The last one I bought gave European Assault 5 out of 10. Hardly what "recommended" this game to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement