Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows updates

• 08-09-2005 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I have recently done a clean install on winxp pro but found i needed to download all the updates (including SP2) to get back to where i was before the reinstall . Needless to say this has taken hours/days as i'm on a dialup connection. Is there a way of backing up the downloaded updates so that if i have to reformat again I can just reinstall them? If i can which folder would they live in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The concept is known as Slipstreaming

You can create a version of Windows XP that has all your updates and drivers for you to plug into your original install

See http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm

Or this one http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Windows-Slipstream-Guide_1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Thanks Ginger, that's exactly what i was looking for. It's not quite as simple as i imagined but i'll give it a try. I can't face going through all that downloading again as i'm lucky if i get a 28k connection most nights, but i guess that's what comes of being halfway up a mountain in Mayo!
    Thanks again, you're a star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I know about the whole slipstreaming thing but I was wondering is there a way to backup the updates without having to create a slipstreamed disc. Like, is there a folder somewhere in Windows or someway of just taking each of the individual updates and burning them onto a CD. Just the updates and downloaded patches and things on their own, without having to integrate them into a slipstreamed Windows installation disc? Anyone know if this is possible? Anyone at all? Ginger? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Windows downloads these updates to a folder off the root called WUtemp
    but it deletes the files after it has installed them. you can copy the updates after they are downloaded and before they are installed.
    Also download the network install of sp2, Its a single file.
    all these updates can be downloded off the net.
    U can run windows update on ur computer take note of the required updates. by kb******.
    then u stroll down to ur local internet cafe. download SP2 and google for the other updates downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

http://www.autopatcher.com/ does this with out the slipstreaming. Just one executable and its kept up to date. Auguest version out now. No real point getting the full version, lite version will be enough for most. (70ish mbs) Fantastic program to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

As I have said in a previous post you can also use the windows update catalog for getting your updates onto one disk.

Just select your OS and you can get the relevent updates, patches and addons sorted by topic

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DigiMarc

Why not just create an image of your primary partition using Ghost or similiar products. That way if you want to start from scratch you put on the image that contains your OS and all your updates.

It would be quicker than installing your OS never mind all the updates. Just a thought...

Advertisement