Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For info Digiweb PR

Options
  • 08-09-2005 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

M E D I A R E L E A S E

Embargo: Midday September 8th 2005 GMT

<.cg snipped, until after the embargo>

Ooops just saw 8th September, didn't see the midday bit :(

Thanks Cathal

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

From their website..............
    Introducing Digiweb’s Metro Network

An innovative, reliable, high-speed platform delivering FREE Phone Line Rental and 3Mbps to 6Mbps broadband to Irish homes and business and shortly High Definition TV and Video On Demand.

Coming Soon to Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and Dundalk.

Once more the digital divide widens.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

jwt wrote:
    Ye but now people in "Coming Soon to Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and Dundalk." get to party. If off to celebrate. WHOOOOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

jwt wrote:
    Assuming they don't make a hames of it.

Still it is nice to see Dublin catered for in the list of towns assuming all goes well. I think everyone will agree that what is good for Dublin is good for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

Nobody could disagree with that. Except all the people from Cork who used to write in to A. Murphy on Mailbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's after midday now I believe...

• Advertisement

True enough

M E D I A R E L E A S E

Embargo: Midday September 8th 2005 GMT

Dundalk, Ireland 8th September 2005

Digiweb revolutionise the telecommunications landscape in Ireland with Metro – a world first technology

> Metro redefines entry-level broadband in Ireland as 3 Mbps High speed
    > broadband and full digital telephony with standard phone numbers and
    > free calls Live network simultaneously launched for Dublin, Galway,
    > Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Dundalk today Wholesale network access
    > offered immediately to other established operators

Digiweb today announced that it is revolutionising the Telecommunications and Broadband landscape in Ireland with the launch of its new Metro network – the first and only alternative last-mile access network to compete with the copper local loop for voice and data services.

Metro technology effectively addresses what has been missing in Ireland to date – genuine telecommunications platform competition. Digiweb has been engaged in research and development of Metro for over a year, combining leading technologies and protocols from the Wireless and Cable Modem industries. Metro is Ireland’s most extensive DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem system delivered on one of the most advanced licensed wireless platforms available today.

Commenting on the Launch, Mr Noel Dempsey TD, Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources stated:

“The new service represents a major leap forward in the provision of wireless broadband to the Irish market. It bypasses the difficulties of Local Loop Unbundling and is completely independent of the traditional telephone networks. I congratulate Digiweb for their energy and enthusiasm in bringing the next generation of wireless broadband services to the market.”

In parallel to launching its range of Retail services today, and in stark contrast to the recent highly publicised difficulties in Local Loop Unbundling in Ireland, Digiweb are inviting the other established carriers and operators to avail of wholesale access to the Metro network from day one.

“In essence, Metro will enable selected partner companies to architect, specify and deliver their own services to their own end customers across our network. Those operators may package any of a wide host of services they wish to offer – the Metro network does not impose any fixed specifications, formats, or business model. With its extremely keen cost base compared to other options, we expect Metro will rapidly stimulate many new services and greatly increased consumer choice in the Irish telecoms market” stated Colm Piercy, Managing Director, Digiweb.

Entry-level retail packages on the new network offer 3Mbps Broadband with a full telephony service, FREE line Rental, FREE voice calls to other Digiweb Customers, and in excess of 50% savings on calls to most other locations, for just €35 per month ex VAT; with the option of a second phone line and phone number for only an extra €5 per month.

Enhanced packages include a 4Mbps service with 1Mbps upload with low contention for only €90 ex VAT and a 6Mbps download, 2Mbps upload service for only €249 ex VAT per month.

Based on standard telephony protocols, the phone service allows any normal phone to be used, and customers may opt to either have a new geographic number assigned, or to transfer their existing phone number from their current provider. Uniquely however, the customer does not need to have a traditional phone line installed, and for new homeowners the long wait traditionally associated with a phone service is eliminated.

“Its a unique occurrence in the Irish market to launch a network of this scale and nature simultaneously in 6 large cities. Metro is designed to be exceptionally flexible and scalable, and immediately will also be used to deliver a number of enhanced business services such as Leased-Line replacement technology, MPLS links, E1 and fractional E1 provision. We are now in the planning stages for our Phase 2 build, which will be available in Q2/Q3 2006, with a view to providing 70% population coverage by mid-year”, stated Piercy at the launch event today.

Digiweb will also be launching a full Digital TV service and home security range using the same platform during 2006.

ENDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It's a bit expensive though! The 3mb is good value but the rest are a bit high! I wonder will NTL and Telcos start trying to compete?

It's the usual Irish pricing, I expected nothing else. I suppose in an Irish context, 4Mbps for €90 ex VAT is good. The base package is good value, I just don't understand why the higher speeds always need to be priced in fantasy land.

I wonder will they block other VoIP providers? Will they provide subsidised VoIP equipment?

For some reason I'm quite underwhelmed by this offering. But I suppose if it turns out to be working well, then it's a useful addition to the market. I've heard quite a few not so complimentary things about Digiweb from their existing users, so I'll hang back to make sure it's not another IBB fiasco. IBB might need to do something to counter this, more so than the other providers. I suppose they can advertise higher speeds and deliver the current speeds, which is more less what they did the last time they "upgraded" people for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've never been able to understand the Irish marketer's mentality. They put together a press release that's obviously had time and effort put into it; they embargo the release, thereby demonstrating that they understand - to an arguable level - how dealing with the press works; but then they don't put the press release on their own website. Often for days, weeks or even months. Irish ISP's and technology companies are notorious for this, but it seems to be a distinctly Oirish thing across the board. Are Irish marketers all being taught by Gerald Ratner perhaps?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

IBB now have Ripwave Home priced at €18.95 a month inc Vat and installation of €99 is dropped until Sept 30th. Still speeds are still 512k/128k which isn't too bad actually for an entry level product. If it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Hmm, just saw the services are all capped, the upper 120GB cap is ok but for 249 euro per month it should have no cap. Equally the plus option has a 60GB cap for 90eurowhich seem a bit ridiculous. The 3MBit line doesn't compare all that favourably versus ntl+blueface combo but if it's a swidespread as it sounds it's nice.

Also their pricing seem to bounce between including vat and excluding vat, one way or the other lads pls, make up your mind, oh and targetting consumers with ex vat prices would be a bit misleading, so try not to do that.

jwt wrote:
    Digiweb: We are now in the planning stages for our Phase 2 build, which will be available in Q2/Q3 2006, with a view to providing 70% population coverage by mid-year”, stated Piercy at the launch event today.
    I expect they're using the word "coverage" in the McRedmond sense of the word. You are "covered" if you live in an area where you could potentially get the service if you have line of sight just like you are "covered" for DSL, according to McRedmond, if your line connects to an exchange with a DSLAM in it regardless of whether or not your line can carry it.

Having said that, it is a good to have a bit of realistic competition. Despite the caps, digiweb seem to be going for more than just people who can't get DSL. It all depends on how well the equipment works and how well they manage things. They also need to give realistic install dates and stick to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I thought this was the interesting bit of the release actually:
    Digiweb are inviting the other established carriers and operators to avail of wholesale access to the Metro network from day one.

I wonder will Eircom be tempted to resell the digiweb line of sight product where their own copper is poor? If not will any of the traditional resellers devise an offering that more or less guarantees you either DSL or Digiweb wireless in any of the metro areas?

vinnyfitz wrote:
    I wonder will Eircom be tempted to resell the digiweb line of sight product where their own copper is poor? If not will any of the traditional resellers devise an offering that more or less guarantees you either DSL or Digiweb wireless in any of the metro areas?
    I doubt very much that Eircom will go near them. They have their own wholesale product that they will favour. The other carriers, if they choose to resell digiweb as well as Eircom, I think would resell the one that gives them the most margin first and failing that go for the second or failing that, resell whatever is available.

I don't think they would be interested in guaranteeing anything though.

Maybe if Digiweb goes beyond 10% coverage of Dublin, or whatever they have right now, it could be worth talking about wholesale.

I wonder how many different types of technologies Digiweb have now? I think three types of wireless technologies, they resell ADSL, and they resell satellite, so five in total. Strange strategy but if it works for them, why not.

Does anyone have an opinion on the worthiness of this DOCSIS stuff? Does it bring anything to the end user?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Adam - website now updated as you outlined. Apologies for the delay.

Blaster - Cable modem (DOCSIS) is one of the most reliable technologies in existance and is used by Time Warner, AOL, Cox communications and Comcast. It is how cable co's deliver voice and data to end users in the US. See www.cablemodem.com for more on cable labs and certification etc. on coverage, we never had a wireless service in Dublin so I dont know where the 10% came from? The single device we deliver to the home has 2 phone ports ( RJ-11) , one Ethernet port and one USB port, it's known as an EMTA.

Vinnyfitz - we will talk to any serious & reputible operators who is looking for a wholesale service.

Skepticone - we are doing our very very best to provide ACCURATE coverage figures. we dont want to upset/mislead/misinform anyone. As a general comment ( and as you have recognised) platform competition is good.

Most other Q's should be in my or Chaz's FAQs on the broadband forum.

We are really trying to get this right folks...there is no other product like this out there so we are learning too! :)

crawler wrote:
    Adam - website now updated as you outlined. Apologies for the delay.
    A distinctly un-Oirish response, good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I just ordered the 35 euro per month package. I think it is fantastic.

I live 8 miles from Galway and have been waiting 7 years for this. 8 miles is too far for Eircom to upgrade the exchange and normally too far for wireless like Ripwave.

The speed is amazing (6 times faster than ripwave), I don't have to pay Eircom tax anymore and I will get a fixed ip address. 30GB compares well to other providers as well...
    But most of all: I HAVE BROADBAND!

Provided that it works, I think it is one of the best deals out there.

My phone bill will go from 30 euro dialup + 25 eircom tax + phone calls to 35 euro + cheaper phone calls.

This is Ireland Offline, shouldn't you be happy that yet another (different) product has entered the market?

PS their website is absolutely crap: no tariffs for phone, no details, and is barely updated.
    PPS your own website could use some updates as well, the wireless section was
    Last Updated Thursday, September 11 2003 @ 01:54 AM

Very suspect. Crawler, you'd want to check one of your marketroids hasn't gone all independent on your asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

No I assure you I am not in any way affiliated with them. As said I ordered the package and don't know yet how well it will work. But just upfront, I think it compares very well.

As said: there is no other solution but satellite for me at the moment, so I would have been happy with a lot less.

I was looking for some reactions on this new product but seems most reactions are not enthusiastic, which surprised me.

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    Very suspect. Crawler, you'd want to check one of your marketroids hasn't gone all independent on your asses.

I did Adam - not guilty! :)

Fair enough. I'm not sure why the OP decided it was ok to "turn the tables" on IrelandOffline. I very much doubt IrelandOffline was attacking Digiweb, merely pointing out issues. And IrelandOffline is a not-for-profit organisation with volunteer staff, if the OP feels the website is out of date, their time would be better spent volunteering to update the site than bitch about it here. Why don't you submit a story OP? Follow the link right up the top of the page there. The one that says "Submit Story".

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Fair enough. I'm not sure why the OP decided it was ok to "turn the tables" on IrelandOffline. I very much doubt IrelandOffline was attacking Digiweb, merely pointing out issues. And IrelandOffline is a not-for-profit organisation with volunteer staff, if the OP feels the website is out of date, their time would be better spent volunteering to update the site than bitch about it here. Why don't you submit a story OP? Follow the link right up the top of the page there. The one that says "Submit Story".

adam

As you know Adam I have nothing but respect for Ireland Offline - and that is not PR, that's me personally.

And you know me crawler, I just wanted to say "gone all independent on your asses" in a Sandra Bernhardt voice. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and 8 miles from Galway is ummm emmm ummm more than 10km . Amazing how this technology naturally works better in the fresher air we have here in the wesht :) .

While I am delighted that another operator is providing competition,its a pity that smaller urban areas and rural are still suffering (not digiwebs fault I know).

What I would like to know is the coverage expected from a base station LOS notwithstanding.

for example a mast in the midlands would have good los for 20 miles in any direction. (picking the midlands as an example for purely selfish reasons :) )

I noticed in the other thread in the broadband forum mention of Phase 1, Phase 2 etc.

Any idea of what thess phases cover location wise and rough timetables or best guesses?

John

dahamsta wrote:
    And you know me crawler, I just wanted to say "gone all independent on your asses" in a Sandra Bernhardt voice. :)

A battle of witts or similar is something I am just not going to have with you - even if I was right, I'd be wrong. I dont mind - I'm far too easy going :) Life is short and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

To the OP:

An embargo is not a legal thing, you can publish an embargoed press release before the time stated on it. It will just p!ss the sender off a bit.

example- FM104 allegedly broke the news of the IRA Disbanding at 12.30pm while the other news organisations didn't have the news until after the 1pm embargo.

S

crawler wrote:
    A battle of witts or similar is something I am just not going to have with you - even if I was right, I'd be wrong. I dont mind - I'm far too easy going :) Life is short and all that!
    Humour crawler, humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

slumped wrote:
    To the OP:

An embargo is not a legal thing, you can publish an embargoed press release before the time stated on it. It will just p!ss the sender off a bit.

It's got nothing to do with the OP. I decided to enforce the embargo! I'm well aware of the legalities (or, rather, the lack of) on the issue, thanks. For the sake of a few hours, I decided it was fairer to the company involved and better for IoffL's reputation, to enforce the embargo. If you still have a problem with that PM me or the other mod, Seamus.

.cg

Advertisement