Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD wireless internet

Options
  • 08-09-2005 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just moved in the dorm today, found the internet speed's grand at midnight, say now, 2:56 am. But seems all the P2P software can't work properly, and FTP as well. Is it that only http connection are allowed or sth? Any one used P2P software and FTP using the UCD internet connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

The only thing you can do on wireless is http and connect to UCD mail servers.

No FTP, no P2P, no gaming etc..... nothing but the above.

No way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I was waiting for the inevitable 'how do I use p2p programme on the UCDD computers' posts. Yes there are ways around everything, after all computer services are incompetitant monkeys, but no-one will say how to do it on a public forum like this since if they did lots of people would use it which would make computer services notice and stop it. Plus computer services could be reading this thread. You either have to know stuff about computers, or know someone who knows stuff about computers.

I'm just waiting for some of the netsoc machines to be reinstall so I can use ssh over the wireless. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

to say theres "no way around it" is untrue

there is in fact one computer in ALL of UCD that you can use p2p, messenger, ftp.

haha wouldnt you all like to know!!!

but its a closely guarded secret

mmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooohahaahahahahahaha

well jsut a word of warning. Computer services are actively monitoring for P2P activity (including thru ssh). They've caught a few people over the summer.

Apparantly they've gotten wise to it all and have safeguards in place.

Trust me! I'm in a position to know about this. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Sorry to go off the subject but since I know nothing about p2p or shh or that kind of (Connemara accent) "moderdn technology", has anybody ever noticed how threads tend to have an almost exact 10:1 view:reply ratio?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Indeed, there are ways around. Be careful with the VLAN's as they can see exactly who's sending what packet on the network. There's always the trusty rewritable CD/DVD. If a few people in ucd pass them around (with no copyrighted material of course) you're getting much more stuff and saving bandwidth for computer cough cough services.

Oh and syth, why debian as opposed to OpenBSD - no hot failover there! And are you resuscitating utopia? I get a "connection refused" from it, it's not just dead anymore :)

Red Alert wrote:
    Oh and syth, why debian as opposed to OpenBSD - no hot failover there! And are you resuscitating utopia? I get a "connection refused" from it, it's not just dead anymore :)
    Neraly all the machines are OpenBSD, we thought it'd be a good idea to have some variety so we are puttin debian on zen. utopia is down at the minute. It's a sun e450 that was running OpenBSD. We're putting Solaris 10 onto it. First we need to format all 20 of it's harddisks. :)

Getting files off friends is the much easier options, especially with so many laptops around the place now.

You nailed my research! I just randomly typed in zen.ucd.ie one day and the lovely blue page changed. I tried FreeBSD at home for my server and haven't gone back, my OpenBSD system is still in bits on the floor. Debian's a good choice tho', that and solaris will make a good variety.

Do ye have physical access to the computer centre or a serial console or is it just the LAN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Are ya able to save mp3's onto the computers on campus? And is there any sound on them? lol. I presume there's an earphone socket on the computers, that you can lash some into!

yea you can. Don't see the point though as u'll prob never use the same PC twice. Better off listening to them on your mp3 player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh good point. I guess you could save a few on your memory stick thing, or on the UCD connect memory, and then just bring some earphones along... hmmm

well thats one way to quickly fill your 50Mb of space.... ;-)

you could leave them on your pc at home and use webfolders to connect if you're that way inclined :)

Works very well for me!

Red Alert wrote:
    Do ye have physical access to the computer centre or a serial console or is it just the LAN?
    NetSoc have a room in the computer centre for our machines. We can go in there if needed. We rarely need to. We have a console server so we can reboot machines etc without requiring physical access. The last time someone went in was when larry went in to put the debian install discs in zen.

Some of the machines used to have delibritly warped sound, the sound came out too high pitched. But on the newer machines it works. Last year computer services put new machines in G15 in science. Each has a CD burner. They did not install CD burning software (might as well buy the hardware and not use it right?). You can use windows media player to burn music CDs with it though. That's an option.

You can use you're H:\ or *cough*NetSoc 2GB of space*cough*. Though you can't put mp3s on your website. Someone did that, it was noticed, computer services being dicks woud have shut us down, so we've set it up to block files ending in mp3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

wma anyone?

it's a bit of a joke that they'd put cd drives in and not put on software. they should just put it in NAL, it's not like they ban CD burners as there was a pc in deadalus with one.

didn't have a choice about the drives. CD burner was min spec. and therefore cheapest!

PaulDoh wrote:
    wma anyone?
    *hacker zealatry sense tingling*
    read alert wrote:
    it's a bit of a joke that they'd put cd drives in and not put on software. they should just put it in NAL, it's not like they ban CD burners as there was a pc in deadalus with one.
    That's a sensible suggestion. Come now, we can't have computer services being sensible now can we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PoiBoi_Patch

well if someone had doen their homework in ucd with computers they know there is a very somple way around wlans without even getting a packet shown up and a very quick way of doing it.. the only thing you gotta watchout for is to make sure that there is no honeypots setup in the school...

should i tell you?, hmmmmm

security+,Network+,CEH,MCP,A+,CISCO and Penetration testing certified..

it involves hard work and studying but i know do you?.

Advertisement