Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will this work?

• 08-09-2005 9:24am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok just got my psp yesterday and looking for a bit of help in setting up a net access point.
    Current setup is Eircom bb with the netopia modem that has a usb and ethernet connection on it.

Also have a spare Wireless access point which Im not using(pc uses the ethernet cable to connect to the router)

What I want to know is this.

Can I connect my pc to the usb port on the netopia and connect the wireless access point to the ethernet port on the netopia so the psp can pick up the net connection.

If the above isnt possible then could I use a small switch to share the connection with the WAP.
    Thanks
    Richie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the short answer is yes you can use both at once.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

[edit]
    Actually, forget what was here before. Complete crap. Just plug it into the router.

[/hungover rant]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I used to have the PC using the WAP as a connection point but the pings were terrible at times(gaming etc) so I went back to a wired connection which is 10 times better.

Its just that the WAP is sitting around doing feck all and I thought I could make use of its 802.11b for the PSP ie Surf the web anywhere in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

exactly what I did with mine initially.

zyxel modem (the one BT use) and a wifi AP. PC used the USB, and the AP used the ethernet port on the modem.

worked okay, but the modem really didn't like organising all that traffic at once, so I got myself a Linksys WRT54G all in one Wifi Router.

works a treat, and well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I also use a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router with my BT modem, my pc is hooked by cable into the router and my PSP and Laptop connect using wireless.

Also if you put the 2.0 firmware on your PSP you can connect to your wireless connection using WPA encryption rather then the older more vulnerable WEP encryption.

• Advertisement
Advertisement