Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing an Electric Fire or Stove

Options
  • 08-09-2005 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I'M thinking of installing an electric fire or stove in the sitting room in my new build house but not sure if it's a good idea or not. Herself doesn't like the mess with an open fire but still wants some sort of heating appliance. My questions are, has anyone done this lately and if so what type did you go with, are they very hard on electricity, would a gas fire be any better than an electric, the one i mean is fed from a large gas cylinder out the back..?? Any thoughts or feedback on this option greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Gas would be more economical & cleaner.If its a new house do you have gas central heating? & if so is it piped to your fire place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bill2

No, unfortunately we're not on the gas line, and my preference is for an electric fire anyway.. just concerned about excessive elertricity use.. anyone know about this..??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I put in an old style stove in my sitting room. One of the ones with a glass window on the front. It is a wood and coal burner which we are finding great now. It is a powerful (9kw) rated stove which in theory will heat 65m2 (the entire house is 60m2), but I don't think it has ever run at full whack - not even in the depths of winter!

Anyhow, the main reason was because we didn't want to deal with the cost that an electric heater would have if we were to heat the rooms with just that. The house is an old stone (mid)terrace and there is no central heating whatsoever.

Efficiency wise, I am hesitant about electric heaters mainly due to the Heat used to generate Electricity used to generate Heat theory, but I am open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

we have a gas fire and I thought it was great when we moved in, click-> instant fire.
    I found it a bit heavy on the gas though, the central heating seemed a better return.
    also once you turn it off the room cools down very quickly, witha stove/open fire you get a couple of hours of hot embers etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if you're going electric it'd be 2 or 3 kilowatt. otherwise prob go with the same fuel as your central heating so you only have one tank outside .in your case maybe oil or else solid fuel.if you're concerned about electric usage you could wire for a storage heater in a corner and go for day/night metering but the heat dies out from them in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

recomend a solid fuel stove.....lots of heat!!

you can different sizes too...small up to fairly large....

it would add a lot of life to the room... electric is just that...no life!!

imagine a cold winters day...what would you prefer to heat your toes off...electric heater or flames in a stove..i know which one i would choose...

also not much cleaning to be done..!!!

if near dublin anytime soon recomend antique fireplaces in kilternan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I would rule out the LPG stove or even a fire because LPG is a lot more expensive than natural gas.

A wood burning stove or the more expensive pellet stove might suit you better because the pellet is a cleaner option.

I will be changing our stove soon, it is a good unit works directly off the central heating like a radiator, it's a bit underpowered for our room so it's in with the pellet job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bill2

Thanks for the feedback folks,
    Rooferpete, what type of wood pellet stove are you going for, boiler type or standalone and wht kind of prices have you been quoted..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Bill 2,

The stove for the main room will be stand alone, the boiler is going in later.

Regarding price and other details I must disclose that I have an interest in the business and it may be pushing advertising beyond all fair and accepted limits.

Advertisement