Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards-lite?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been pursued before.

Lately Boards has experienced a few slowdows, a bit of downtime and various other problem. In fairness though the traffic can be very high at times - so it is to expected - expecially given the somewhat bloated vbulletin load.

Would it be possible for a text only version of boards? Similar to thread tools "show printable version". This "boards lite" in effect if used should decrease the load on the servers (?) and also would probably mean that using the site with say, a psp (somewhat selfish, I know) - would be a lot quicker.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Something like this -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/ ?

Hardly perfect though.. threads are listed oldest first, and there's no reply (or any other) button. Could be alright if you're just browsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Me likes.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The performance issues are top of our agenda at the moment and are getting action as I type.

Meanwhile you might want to think about using the "Minimalist" style, as thats probably what you are looking for.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I was under the impression (from use) that the minimalist style offers very little in the way of reducing the page size. Its just kinda grey and there's no boards.ie logo in the top left.
    The archived version is certainly more in line with what i had in mind. Obviously retaining some of the vbulletin functions would be good - like "reply" for example...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You tried the mobile style? Even more minimal than minimal.

Also try switching off sig's avatars and images in User CP.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A mobile version is being considered at the moment but we have plenty of infrastructural change to be getting on with!

DeV.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The mobile is grand for the psp i think. I only use it to check a few things so features mean feck all to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You tried the mobile style? Even more minimal than minimal.
    Wow, this is light!
    Almost too light :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

When you use the mobile style it gets rid of the nav bar on top, any chance of a mobile style theme with the dropdown still there?

Could we get the PDA style installed or a style that has nothing but the drop down, username, message, reply, quote buttons?

Should be very simple to make if you've time which I guess you don;t

Advertisement