Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapid broadband

Options
  • 08-09-2005 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

Anyone use rapid broadband yet ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Brand new company

Formed 26/04/2005

Handed over to the directors 6/05/2005

Address is

BURGATIA
    ROSSCARBERY
    CO CORK

Covers following towns
    Bandon, Ballineen, Enniskeane, Rossmore, Clonakilty, Rosscarbery, Skibbereen

Sounds like a small business (not that that is a bad thing) recently set up. I would be looking for exisiting installs, references etc before committing, find out what their backhaul is, how much, contention ratio, secondary/backup backhaul.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Their download CAPS are far too small!!!

2m/2m with a download CAP of 20GB(its probable combined)!!!

Prices are pretty good and as its a small company, word of mouth will get them business, so screwing over people like IBB will cause them to go bust very quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Ok - live out in the middle of the countryside in West Cork and had heard of Rapid Broadband so called them a few days ago and they came today and did the install. Now we haven't a landline and can't get landline broadband out here anyways so this is a great option for us!
    The lads were very professional and did a really neat job (And didn't laugh when I pointed to the mobile home and said that's where I wanted it)..... €150 euro for the install and €25 per month for 512 up & down with a 10 gig limit. 10 gig is about 10 times as much as I'll ever use in a month as don't download music, etc. :p
    Contention ratio is 40:1 but seem to have been getting most of the 512 all day :)
    I know this is only the first day but fingers crossed - If it stays the same as this it'll be great value for money!
    Oh yea - and there is absolutely no latency that I've noticed which is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Excellent. Any company who gives someone brodaband at a reasonable price is always welcome and very welcome when they do it in an area where nobody else was bothered to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damo605 wrote:
    €150 euro for the install and €25 per month for 512 up & down with a 10 gig limit. 10 gig is about 10 times as much as I'll ever use in a month as don't download music, etc. :p
    Contention ratio is 40:1 but seem to have been getting most of the 512 all day :)

Sounds excellent for the price especially as they are a small localised carrier . You get the whole lot for only €0.80c more than Eircom would charge you every month for a landline on its own.

Rural Ireland needs lots of Rapids .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hopper28

trying to setup router but cant figure out the settings i need for my router its looking for something like isp router gateway any ideas or help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Typically your ISP uses Dynamic IP, in which case the DHCP takes care of Gatway etc.

The on PC the GW is the IP on the LAN side of the router for static IP LAN (best if using inward port forwarding) or automatic if DHCP for LAN too.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Have been using rapid broadband for about 2 years now. I will say its a great price and perfect for surfing the internet... but surfing the internet is about all its really good for. i have 2M/bit up and down with 24:1 contention ratio and 20GB cap and they also provide us with VOIP phone with free calls to irish and uk landlines all for a set bill of 55 euro a month. i use the internet for downloading music and films alot and also playing games on the PS3. i have noticed that a file will start downloading at the full 2m/bit per sec for a while but will drop back to about 700k/bit and then stay there. Also when playing games online with the PS3 it keeps dropping connections with the host or client if i host a game after about 5 minutes which is very frustrating. Also they do not allow you to have access to the fixed router they install in the house so you cannot configure it yourself. i found this annoying as im doing a couse in networking and would like to be able to set up my own port forwarding which they failed to do for me. All in all though, they are a great option if you live in west cork and cant get bb from anyone else. i think eircom broadband have a great connection but they dont provide here and prices are outrageous!!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement