Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl, Aldi prices rising?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Has anyone noticed the difference in prices in Tescos depending on where it is? The one in the new Dundrum Shopping Centre is much more expensive than the one I used to go to down the road.

I bought Tescos brand Blackcurrant drink (the one like ribena that you dilute) for 89c (I think, it was over 80c anyway). That same day I was reading the paper and Tesco had an advertisment for the items they had on sale for the week. They had a picture of the very same drink I had just bought with a price of 68c crossed out, now selling at 45c. First of all it wasnt selling for 68c as I had the receipt of it for around 89c and secondly, it wasnt on sale. If the sale is only in participating branches shouldnt the ad say that? Also, why the huge price difference between the regular price of 68c and what it was priced at in dundrum 89c? I understand they have to make money on their new store but 20c?? I'm not going to shop in there again, in fact I wouldnt shop in tescos if there was a cheaper alternative, but in my area its either that or Superquinn which is outrageously expensive.

I wish Lidl would open up and bring in some competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

homeOwner wrote:
    Has anyone noticed the difference in prices in Tescos depending on where it is?

Standard retail practice called price banding. Different causes:

1) The property is more expensive to rent they charge more at that location
    2) The local area has no competition
    3) The area is particularly affluent

That is in a single country so maybe it makes sense they charge more here.

They also range product to certain areas based on similar criteria.
    homeOwner wrote:
    I wish Lidl would open up and bring in some competition.
    I have found the local shops are cheaper and better quality. I go to the baker,butcher and veg shop. I thought I was loosing my taste buds but it is just the processed foods and I don't mean ready made. The chicken in any of the super markets have no taste either do the veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Man I love Aldi.
    those weekly specials are fantastic, I have bought shed loads of bike gear in the last few weeks and its great quality at a crazy low price.
    Aldi tried to open up on the Grange Road (old Glaxo-Smithkline factory ) but PP was refused. Wish they would open somewhere nearer to me (Belgard Rd is closest)
    I think they are better than Lidl...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

I've noticed a not-so-cheap thing going on in both Aldi and Lidl too. Particularly with some of the 'specials'. Granted, the larger items (laptop, pc, monitors) can be very well priced but the smaller things, in particular the foody type stuff has gotten more expensive.

It's just their way of lulling everyone into an early sense of 'value for money' then gradually charging more and more. And any 'inflation, fuel prices, etc' blah-deh-blah is rubbish, because the rises aren't proportional.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I havent noticed any increases, the example above regarding a litre of orange juice isnt what I have noticed, in fact I saw the same item for ~65c
    Way cheaper than anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I can't believe there's an investigation into profiteering at Lidl and Aldi when the duo have been responsible for for massive cuts in prices at Tesco and other traditional Irish supermarkets.

These 'traditional' supermarkets are the ones that should be investigated for keeping their prices so high for so long. Someone mentioned wine. As a big wine drinker, I ve seen the price of wine tumble in the past five years. This has been mainly due to the Aldi/Lidl invasion. Even Spar has offers around the 6 euro mark now when you would be hard pressed to find a bottle under 10 euro 5 years ago.

We must also remember that Lidl/Aldi are businesses here to make profit and operate a pricing system not unlike that of Ikea who also price their individual products in each country based on the price of their competitors; ie if a French loaf is 50c in France, Lidl sell it at 45c; if it's €1 in Ireland, they sell it at 95c. Using market forces, they can sell cheaply and still make a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Tazz T wrote:
    I can't believe there's an investigation into profiteering at Lidl and Aldi when the duo have been responsible for for massive cuts in prices at Tesco and other traditional Irish supermarkets.
    When Tower Records entered the Dublin market CDs dropped in price as they sold cheaper. As time went on they brought there prices up and are no longer cheap.
    Aldi and Lidl seemed to realise they can make a larger profit so they do.
    Standard retail practice is sell at a reduced margin compared to standard. Once they get a market share they bring it up to standard and if the market allows it they go above.
    I can't believe people fall for this all the the time and then you get people defending the practice.
    Just because they made things change at the start doesn't mean the are still doing good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gonker wrote:
    In drogheda the local traders have banded together and objected to a lidl and an aldi opening in the area. competition my ass. I wouldnt mind but the local tesco and dunnes are a joke.
    what about Trim where one woman got upset when she saw one of the councilers shopping in the Blanchardstown branch of a store he banned in Trim that she got 5,000 signatures out of an adult populatoin of 7,000 to sign a petition to allow the store there ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

what about Trim where one woman got upset when she saw one of the councilers shopping in the Blanchardstown branch of a store he banned in Trim that she got 5,000 signatures out of an adult populatoin of 7,000 to sign a petition to allow the store there ?

Would this be the story ?

http://sarahcarey.blogspot.com/2005/08/eddie-hobbs.html

The above article would seem to contradict ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

parsi wrote:
    Would this be the story ?

http://sarahcarey.blogspot.com/2005/08/eddie-hobbs.html

The above article would seem to contradict ...

I remember hearing that there was a very contradictory account alright, but unfortunately, work have blocked blog sites. Any chance you could post the relevant text?

thanks,

Eoin

• Advertisement

Here ya go:

"On the first show he did a piece on Trim, near to my home. The council refused planning permission to LIDL, a discount food store. A local woman was incensed and began a local petition to campaign to make the council change its mind. In a town with a population of 7000 she collected 5000 signatures and faced with this overwhelming will, the council changed their policy and granted the permission. AT LEAST THAT'S THE WAY EDDIE TOLD IT.

Now, the "missing" week of my column, was when I was asked to cover the "liam fay" spot which is a newsy section on the back page. One of the articles I submitted concerned my discoveries about the truth behind the claims.

Firstly, the council did not "change" their minds. An Bord Pleanala granted the permission. They could do this where the council could not because the land was not zoned correctly. This part of the article was published.

Unfortunately, I presume due to constraints on space, the second bit was not published. I checked around and quickly discovered that the maximum estimate of the signatures on the petition was 2000. Far short of the 5000. Two councillors I spoke to believed there were only 800 signatures. The guy who actually had the petition was on holiers. I got confirmation from him today that there were no more than 600 or 700 signatures."

source: http://sarahcarey.blogspot.com/2005/08/eddie-hobbs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks Parsi. Hopefully, it is just a case of "Rip off Republic" not doing any research, rather than just an outright lie...

Tazz T wrote:

These 'traditional' supermarkets are the ones that should be investigated for keeping their prices so high for so long. Someone mentioned wine. As a big wine drinker, I ve seen the price of wine tumble in the past five years. This has been mainly due to the Aldi/Lidl invasion. Even Spar has offers around the 6 euro mark now when you would be hard pressed to find a bottle under 10 euro 5 years ago.

Yeah ? There was cheaply priced wine in Ireland before Aldi/Lidl arrived. Roches used sell JP Chenet (cheap and drinkable and same quality as Lidl cheapies)) for around a fiver long before the Germans arrived.It was the Celtic Tiger which brought us a better range of wine not Lidl..

Advertisement