Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Take ownership of unformatted HD?

• 08-09-2005 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a Maxtor TouchII external hard drive for backup.

Backuped my HD fine, & then reformatted my boot disk & reinstalled Windows XP.
    I left the maxtor connected while doing this.

Apparently during install XP removed (or changed?) the SID of the maxtor.

Now I can view the maxtor via computer management, but it appears unformatted.

I've checked the Maxtor web site & the suggestion is to take ownership of the files/ folders, except i can't do that unless I create a new partition, which could erase/ damage any data (my backup file :( ).

My question...is there a way to change ownership without reformatting?

I have simple file sharing disabled.

ANY suggestions really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Uncable the drive and restart Windows..

Shut down Windows and recable the drive. Bring it back up and and resinstall the drive.

Should be able to get it then .. (this might work.. not really thinking it will tho)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Hi Ginger,

thanks for the help, but no joy :(

alright

Only thing i think you could do, is see can you use it on another machine ok. Or else attach it to another USB port (only reason for this suggestion, i have stuff reinstall when i change USB ports when I have had issues with them)

nope, tried that already :(

Can you view under a different machine.. have you threathened it with cold electrodes and a hammer yet???

• Advertisement

I tried hooking it up to my Laptop, with the same results - viewable under computer management, but with no partition :(

I hadn't threatned it as yet - but I was planning to drive over it if I had too!!

Hi all,

I've had to take the plunge & repartition the HD. Unforutunately, I couldn't recover the backup file - so I'm no in the process of recovering files, off the HD that I deliberately formatted - I haven't got everything, but better than nothing.

One question, I'd like to throw out to the masses. Why did this happen? The drive appears to be functioning correctly. I ran fdisk - no problems, I ran Maxtor diagnostics - came back clean too.

Is this a "Windoze" thing - should I disconnect the HD everytime I reboot my comp? Or am I safe?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks againg for all the assistance.

I havent had much dealings with external hard disks .. but i am guessing you should be safe when rebooting.

I would also propose that you disconnect when doing rebuilds in the future. Also once you have everything that you need back it up to DVD as well

Advertisement