Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Email Setup,

Options
  • 08-09-2005 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

At presnent out college dont provide Student Email accounts the college has its own Email server but the IT Master said its to much work to set it up, I was thinking of Setting one up, i Was going to go with www.letshost.ie which provides Unlimited amount of pop emails accounts........Is there another way around to do this or does this seem like a Good ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Must be a small college?

Would there be a possibility of setting up your own computer society in college, running its own network? I know certainly the bigger universities, UCD for example, have societies with their own network providing email, alternative proxy services (for chat, etc) ftp services, etc.

Provided it's managed competently, and with regard for overall seurity (in this regard the college would need to be allowed a certain amount of administrative control over your network), there's no reason why it shouldn't be OK. You could get corporate sponsorship to source the hardware and use Open Source OSs on the machines. Minimum cost, most benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

The College has roughly 5k Students but i say it would use 1.5k Email accounts that roughly though. See the IT guy in the college is VERY Strict and i mean Very! I say the chances of the soc Network would be slim.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Go to his superiors, to heads of school and things. Tell them its a farce that they don't have student email accounts - because it is! What would look better on your CV, powerhousedan@hotmail.com or daniel.powerhourse@respectableuniversity.ie ?
    It puts the college in the minds of potential employers if they pick on a good student and the email address contains the name of the college. You should point all this out to people with authority and they may be more inclined to make sure that student email accounts are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

The college should provide you with email. It's not acceptable in this day and age, especially if there are 5,000 students in the college, that it would be "too much hassle" to set up email.

Anyway, if you personally are thinking about setting it up and managing, I think you are a little crazy :p. It's commendable that you are willing to provide email for thousands of students, but think of the bandwidth costs (and time spent managing it) of even providing 1,500 email addresses.

Setting up a society is a good idea though if you can get your own network.

Can you expand a small bit more on "Computer Society" What is needed etc i would be interested in coming with them with that idea all the same, I actually think there is more than 5k students prob alot more and i would have no problem tryin to set it up etc would also look good on my cv.....
    seamus wrote:
    Must be a small college?

Would there be a possibility of setting up your own computer society in college, running its own network? I know certainly the bigger universities, UCD for example, have societies with their own network providing email, alternative proxy services (for chat, etc) ftp services, etc.

Provided it's managed competently, and with regard for overall seurity (in this regard the college would need to be allowed a certain amount of administrative control over your network), there's no reason why it shouldn't be OK. You could get corporate sponsorship to source the hardware and use Open Source OSs on the machines. Minimum cost, most benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Just to also mention that while the lethost site say's 'unlimited' email, I am very sure that if you created 1,500 mailboxes, each one with (say) even just a measly 10Mb quota, that the 15GB you would require on the (shared) server would probably not make the host happy ;)

Can you expand a small bit more on "Computer Society" What is needed etc i would be interested in coming with them with that idea all the same, I actually think there is more than 5k students prob alot more and i would have no problem tryin to set it up etc would also look good on my cv.....
    Computer Society would be like any other society - people join and get invited to sponsored piss ups, and the like.
    Check out www.netsoc.ucd.ie and email the sys admins there. In my time anyway, they were very friendly guys and may be able to give you a few pointers re: getting the society started and getting the network/hardware organised.
    Technically, it's a very simple thing to organise. There would be nothing stopping you from setting up a single POP/SMTP mail server and a web-based frontend, using open source stuff. Then you could write or modify an existing script whereby a student submits a request for an email address giving his name and student number. If you were allowed access to some college systems, it should also be possible to set up valid john.doe@student.yourdomain.ie email accounts using just the student number (stops messers registering mail_admin@yourdomain.ie or I_love_cock@yourdomain.ie ).

Ya i am going to look into setting one of these up, Thanks for all the Help hope its a success! and that they will actually allow it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

What college is it, anyway? Most colleges that big would already have a netsoc.

Its a College in Cork, Its the Biggest Non Cao College in Ireland...

• Advertisement

Just one point to add with the letshost package, The Monthly Bandwidth is 99GB so i am guessing that wouldnt be a problem with the email address, I am interested in using it as a backup if the Netsoc idea doesnt happen

Edit: Rang Letshost he advised me to setup a netsoc to cause it would Kill the Bandwidth as ye pointed out.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Whats the mail quota / diskspace allocation either per mailbox or overall? If you were eating 15-20GB of our mail server for that kind of money, you'd be getting a phone call :)

Well he said you can set it to however much you want but 999mb is your max so 1000+ email accounts just wouldnt happen....

Its a College in Cork, Its the Biggest Non Cao College in Ireland...

There are non-CAO Colleges in Ireland? That's a new one for me. Are you connected to HEANet? (You can check by looking at http://www.hea.net) You don't seem to be; only UCC and the Cancer Research people are. Since you're not (assuming you're not) you might have trouble getting the bandwidth for a netsoc.

There isn't much advantage to having a college email from a CV point of view, anyway. My TCD one expires a year after I leave college.

Right here is the story Contacted the College, The Person i was talking about was keen in sponsoring it, he didnt seem the email necessary but was keen on the idea of a ftp service for students just needs someone to take on the Mission....Its a Start. I was in contact with IT Carlow which gave me alot of ideas and help about starting it up.

:) Cool. If you need any help, there's a few people from the various netsocs knocking around here (I'm treasurer plus an admin for TCD Netsoc)

Good to hear Dan. Email not necessary? Wtf? Is this person living in this decade? :)

Well my argue with that is the college teachs students how to use "email" but email via Yahoo........ Sure if there ever going for a job they need to use Outlook etc.... I say i will get around him on this one, He said there was a Student Soc before and they disappeared they actually couldnt find them but i figure with alot of hard work it could be a success! An Ftp service would be very handy for students As there best excuss is "my floppy broke"

Outlook

*hisses*

Is this going to be the country's first Windows-based Netsoc? :)

There maybe a chance yes, But the IT person i am in contact with is a LINUX Head so More than likely not...........Guess i will have to have a meeting with the IT when i go back.
    rsynnott wrote:
    *hisses*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

seamus wrote:
    If you were allowed access to some college systems, it should also be possible to set up valid john.doe@student.yourdomain.ie email accounts using just the student number (stops messers registering mail_admin@yourdomain.ie or I_love_cock@yourdomain.ie ).

Oh - that's a cunning plan! I have a friend working in registration the university I'm going back to next week - I wonder if I could register i_love_cock@universityname.ac.uk (or similar)

Worth a shot for the laugh I think...

Never know till you try :)
    Oh - that's a cunning plan! I have a friend working in registration the university I'm going back to next week - I wonder if I could register i_love_cock@universityname.ac.uk (or similar)

Worth a shot for the laugh I think...

Looks like the chances of a Windows Based Netsoc is more than likely..... Which suits me down to the ground!
    rsynnott wrote:
    *hisses*

How dreadful. The best bit about a netsoc is the ssh availability, IMO.

:o .
    rsynnott wrote:
    How dreadful. The best bit about a netsoc is the ssh availability, IMO.

Advertisement