Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike - recommendations

• 08-09-2005 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi All

Looking to buy a new bike - have had scooters before but it got nicked!!

Am 32 yrs old looking for a second hand bike, 250 cc or up, what would people recommend in this size category that wont kill me on insurance? What should insurance be roughly??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

bros 400, great little bike that is ultra-reliable, looks cool, and has a bit of poke in it

group 5 insurance, so its one of the best value power Vs price of insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

madrab wrote:
    bros 400, great little bike that is ultra-reliable, looks cool, and has a bit of poke in it

group 5 insurance, so its one of the best value power Vs price of insurance

Do they still make them? If so I'd be interested myself because I was thinking of something along the lines of a Honda CB500

no the bros was stopped back in 93 (i think) but they kept making the hawk (american 650 version) till 1996

most dealers have a few, all imported, you just have to look out for the courier'ed ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Yeah I know a lot of them are used by couriers so that really puts me off. That's why I was thinking the Honda might be a better bet.

well i had one for nearly 3 years, never had a problem with it, all i had to do was oil change (every 5000km), chain replace (twice), & new rear tire

i would defo recomend one, but if you are worried, look for a freshly imported on, so that no irish courier could have got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Despatch wrote:
    Do they still make them? If so I'd be interested myself because I was thinking of something along the lines of a Honda CB500

I have a BROS myself and I think they are great too. The single sided swingarm is a little awkward for adjusting the chain - one of those "knack" things.

Similar to the CB500 is the Kawasaki ER5 which is another popular commuter. A friend of mine has one and says "it's grand if not a little bland". These will be a little cheaper than the Honda mainly because they dont have the Honda badge but also anecdotally being shown to rust a fraction more. (For a contra argument to this check out the Kawasaki GT550 - the old Garda bikes, they run for ever).

Bit of a Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda theory but anyway.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 windy

thanks all - anyone know what sort of cost insurance will be???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Depends on your age, sex, type of licence and location.
    Dublin is more expensive than elsewhere and if you can "store the bike in a garage" then you can get better cover (CN wouldn't give me TPFT or FC because the bike wasnt garaged) AON are nicer to me now but I will only go that route when I pass my (rospa) test.
    All bikes discussed are in and around group 5/6.
    Full licence does make some difference.
    Being Female makes a difference too.

32, in dublin, with eg 2 years on full licence should be (complete guess) less than €700 TPO.

Check out the insurance/quotes thread in the motorbikes section - there may be some user experiences that match yours.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There's a 00 reg Kawasaki ER-5 for sale in in Galway. Ring 086 6003131 and ask for Paul - tell him John Moylan sent you. He's keen to sell, so you could possibly get a deal on it.........

If you've no luck contacting him, let me know......

Personally, having been on the CB500 and ER-5, I prefer the look and riding position of the Kawasaki. All pot-ay-to/pot-ah-to I know......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

I recently got a ZZR400, big bike space but not so much power to do too much damage. They are quite well priced, most parts the same as the 600 and easily available. Insurance isn't too bad either.
    Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Windy - how about a big scooter?? Yamaha Xmax 250 or Piaggio X9 500 or Aprilia Atlantic 500?
    I sold my 04 GS1200 and bought the Aprilia....should have done it years ago !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

nereid wrote:
    I have a BROS myself and I think they are great too. The single sided swingarm is a little awkward for adjusting the chain - one of those "knack" things.

[off topic]personally i think its alot better and easier adjusting the bros' chain then any other bike i had[/off topic]

you could always look at the 400cc transalp, its a big bike but very easy power, my borther-inlaw started out on one of them recently, he loves it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

at the mo I am on my second CB-1 400 and I have to say its a sweet ride. It looks well is completely reliable and has plenty of power with its super 4 engine, the ER5 is a god bike aswell, several mates have one and they swear by them,as a first bike you can't go far wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Windy, you're about 6 foot 2, right? The Bros is quite a small bike.

A 2nd hand TransAlp, Dominator or something simillar might make more sense, although it can be difficult to find clean, reasonably priced bikes..

RedLine in Rathdrum usually has some nice grey imports..
    Have a look here.

Bear in mind, anything over 33bhp should legally be restricted if you're not on a full license..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭2142

i would recommend the honda hornet 250. looks like a 600, fun to ride, cheap to insure and run and loads in buy and sell

Advertisement