Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visible updates

Options
  • 08-09-2005 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

May I suggest if it is possible to create a visibly prominent updates/maintaince area controlled by admin only. Which will contain changes to boards to prevent people from asking the same questions such as "where is the new post link gone” that way members will know what’s going on and why.

Dave
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No-one would read it. Pretty soon there'd be posts on feedback about "why can't I post in the updates forum?".

I'm not saying your idea is a bad one, but experience shows us that some people decide it's easier to post a new thread asking a question instead of bothering to read the first thread in that forum, never mind reading an entirely different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

seamus wrote:
    No-one would read it. Pretty soon there'd be posts on feedback about "why can't I post in the updates forum?".

Idea wouldnt be a forum, therefore ordinary members wouldnt post asking questions about something different with boards, because boards would post up the changes. it would prevent loads of the same questions being asked in different forums.

dbnavan wrote:
    Idea wouldnt be a forum, therefore ordinary members wouldnt post asking questions about something different with boards, because boards would post up the changes. it would prevent loads of the same questions being asked in different forums.
    Ah ok. Still doesn't solve the problem of laziness. Ultimately people continue to post these things because there's not a big pop-up in their face telling them what's going on. Even if there was, I'd say a few people would continue to post about it.
    Why would people be any more likely to read an updates bulletin than a thread in a forum?

seamus wrote:
    Why would people be any more likely to read an updates bulletin than a thread in a forum?

Well granted some people post to get attention or out of laziness, but if I am wondering where something is gone, or why something changed and i think i can get the answer somewhere there and then I would prefer to check there rather then post a question and sift through, silly response in order to get the correct on, not saying it would stop some people asking but would stop people that dont have time to wait for a correct answer. plus these posts would be 'official' so wouldnt be a matter of " i think...." or "maybe..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I know this may have been asked already elsewhere but why is the search disabled?? :(

Ry

• Advertisement

Ry wrote:
    I know this may have been asked already elsewhere but why is the search disabled?? :(

Ry

You picked the wrong thread my friend...........this is typical of what the initial post idea sets out to combat.

dbnavan wrote:
    Well granted some people post to get attention or out of laziness, but if I am wondering where something is gone, or why something changed and i think i can get the answer somewhere there and then I would prefer to check there rather then post a question and sift through, silly response in order to get the correct on, not saying it would stop some people asking but would stop people that dont have time to wait for a correct answer. plus these posts would be 'official' so wouldnt be a matter of " i think...." or "maybe..."
    Ah I get where you're coming from. And separately, that is a good idea. But it would never prevent people from failing to spot it. Ry gives us a good example here. There's a thread, not five links down, entitled "Searching is disabled", and yet he still posts here, trying to find out what's going wrong, despite the existence very closely of a thread with a title relating exactly to what he's asking his question about. He even acknowledges that it's already been asked, which means that he very blatantly didn't bother trying to find out, he just picked some random thread from the new posts list, that's in Feedback, and asked his question there.

The problem is a human one, not a technical one. I don't think any amount of update alerts can prevent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I actually did check to see if it had already been posted as a thread at the time and if there were any I just must have missed them. The reason I asked within this thread was to keep it here rather than going and starting a whole thread about it. I had good motives for keeping it here and it wasn't just OI OI OI through a door "WHERES THE SEARCH GONE OMG!" I wanted to keep it in here instead of splashing a load of the same threads onto the forum.

Ry

Advertisement