Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another speeding query

• 08-09-2005 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

My GF loaned her car to her American cousin for a family wedding last week, we were coming back from it and on the naas road I saw a gatso van, however the GF's car whizzed past me (60kmph zone) so I am expecting her to get the points letter etc.

What is the procedure for telling the cops/DOE she wasn't the driver? Her cousin was driving on her own insurance and US licence btw (so i'm told anyway).

Any advice/help gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

GF was away for 2 months and for a while her car was in garage to get repaired....while in garage owner or one of the guys must have been driving it around becasue she got a speed fine....went into garda and they just told her to bring in flight details and the name of garage and they will change it......maybe just drop into station when it arrives and explain!

Oh yeah as well why did she let an American of all people into her car? they cant drive at the best of times in America without letting them onto our roads!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nuttzz wrote:
    My GF loaned her car to her American cousin for a family wedding last week, we were coming back from it and on the naas road I saw a gatso van, however the GF's car whizzed past me (60kmph zone) so I am expecting her to get the points letter etc.

What is the procedure for telling the cops/DOE she wasn't the driver? Her cousin was driving on her own insurance and US licence btw (so i'm told anyway).

Any advice/help gratefully accepted.
    Complete the rear of the form naming the actual driver. No use in complaining to the station concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Nuttzz wrote:

whats a gatso van? forgive my ignorance :rolleyes:

laoisfan wrote:
    whats a gatso van? forgive my ignorance :rolleyes:

Van with Camera in back! takes pic of you speeding!

if one was speeding going past a gatso van, how long would it be until you receive some post from them?

not saying i was speeding now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

and another one....how many gatso vans are there operating in ireland? roughly?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think there are either three or five Transits in use. There are also unmarked cars floating around and according to a sarge friend there are also unmarked bikes in existence which will soon have similar capabilities for speed detection.
    I also saw a small white car-van (with no signage) the other day pull someone over on the Con Colbert Rd in Dublin. The only way of knowing it was a garda vehicle was the blue light he put on the roof. The garda was in casual civvies.

The one I usually see if a large green van and they always have it on differnet spots of the N3......alot of the time on the section after Little chef there on way into Dublin where the speed is reduced to what used to be 50mph not sure what it is now in kmph! they also can leave it in Virginia and aroudn the Navan area!!!

Also a few unmarked Modeo's on Blanchardstown bypass!!! used to be a silver one but I think they got a new fleet in last few weeks so could be a black one now!!

Havent a clue how long it takes but they have quickened the paper work up in last while....was a story a while ago on paper where a woman had picked up so many tickets she was banned from driving but hadnt received any of the tickets in post yet! not sure what happened in that case!!!

Also did anyone hear yet do they have to send out in registered post? a friend of mine got let off on points and tickets because she never received the letter and was just sent a court summons.....when she went in the judge just dismissed it along with 10-15 other cases that day that where for the same thing! something was going on in European courts about the posting out of the tickets.......havent seen or heard anythign since!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Big Nelly wrote:
    Havent a clue how long it takes but they have quickened the paper work up in last while....was a story a while ago on paper where a woman had picked up so many tickets she was banned from driving but hadnt received any of the tickets in post yet! not sure what happened in that case!!!
    She was from Leixlip and judging from her excuses to the media, we are probably better off having her off the road. Anyhow, she was caught speeding 6 times and recieved the garda notices for the offences a few days after the offences (1 week IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Send the bill to the american cousin - she pays the fine and signs it. Your GF gets no points once the cousin is named and signs (make sure she used her USA licence in case she has an Irish one!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

laoisfan wrote:
    if one was speeding going past a gatso van, how long would it be until you receive some post from them?

not saying i was speeding now :rolleyes:

Average time is 2 months.

Advertisement