Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many miles per set of new tyres?

• 08-09-2005 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

For how many miles, typically, should a set of new tyres last before needing to be changed again?

I bought my car -Audi A6 1.9 TDI - in June '04. The garage put a brand new set of tyres on.

Now 15 mths later, its in for a service with the same garage - a main dealer - and they ring me up to say it needs two new tyres.

I've put on about 14k miles in the time since the last set? Does this sound odd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

14K and new tyres? wat u driving like? haha! I wouldnt think you would need a new set for just 14K miles.....get the dept checker and see if they are ok, also swap the tyres from back to front on car.....wear on front is alot more than back tyres so to make a full set last longer I would switch them after a while....I do on my Passat which is similiar to the A6.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

would that apply to all cars Big Nelly? Nissan Micra for example...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

cormie wrote:
    would that apply to all cars Big Nelly? Nissan Micra for example...?

Swapping the tyres like?

Yeah I do it on all cars/jeeps I drive.....even an old Peugeot 205 that my little bro is learning in! swapped them around a while back!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have about 15k on my fronts (and this includes ~70 miles of track driving). I still have about 50-70% of the tread left!
    [rear tyres were only recently put on]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like the rest of your car, how long your tyres last depends on how you treat them. If you brake heavily, accelerate heavily, corner heavily and spend a lot of time on poorly conditioned and wet roads, then your tyres won't last you very long at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

As said above, it really depends on how you drive! In my first car which I had for 3 years I went through at least two sets of tyres:
    * new set of alloys with new tyres
    * then 2 new fronts
    * then rotated them, back to front
    * then 2 new fronts
    And I only covered about 45k miles in those 3 years!
    Ok, i was a typical young lad in his own first car doin a lot of messing- this has stopped since gettin my Jap import Levin! Just too expensive to replace anything if it goes, so seriously have to take care with how I drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Mredmond wrote:
    For how many miles, typically, should a set of new tyres last before needing to be changed again?

I bought my car -Audi A6 1.9 TDI - in June '04. The garage put a brand new set of tyres on.

Now 15 mths later, its in for a service with the same garage - a main dealer - and they ring me up to say it needs two new tyres.

I've put on about 14k miles in the time since the last set? Does this sound odd?

If you drive heavily as seamus has said that's a reason, also, the A6 isn't a light car, and a heavy diesel over the front wheels adds to that. Btw I'm assuming you need fronts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Along with the type of driving that is done it also depends on the type of roads you are driving on also.

You should be getting more than 14k from a set of front tyres even though a diesel engine makes the front of the car heavier than a similar petrol car.

I got around 32k miles on my previous set and that included rotating them back to front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Kersh

It really depends on your driving style.
    My Nissan has done 8000 miles, and the rears (Toyo T1R) turned into slicks.
    I never whellspinned it off the line, as its an auto (the box would overheat), and since I race and instruct racing (not in the car), I dont drive like a loon on the road, I put it down to the tyres being soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Like everyone has said, it is mostly down to the way you drive but it also has a lot to do with the car. You have a 1.9 tdi, which although hasn't huge bhp, it has huge amounts of torque. And torque is a real tyre shredder. Every time the turbo cuts in at 1900 rpm in 1st,2nd or 3rd gear, your tyres are being asked a lot unless you're being very light with the pedal or have a TCS. I have a TDi Golf tuned to 140bhp which isn't much but it has over 250 lbft of torque which is enough to spin the tires in second in the dry and third in the wet. When I first got it I was caning it a lot and only managed 8000 miles out of a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s. After paying 280 yoyos for a new set of front tyres I calmed down a good bit but the most I have ever got out of a set is 11 or 12000 miles and at that they are fit for spinning in 4th in the wet.... :D

Make sure your tracking is correct as well cos if it is out of alignment it will wear your tires quicker and unevenly as well.

The type of tyre as well will play a part. Economy tyres will last a lot longer than performance tyres cos they are made from a harder compound.

I don't really see the point of swapping tyres either. You put off buying tyres for a while longer but you end up paying for a set of four then so you don't really end up saving anything in real terms. i have put up about 30000 miles on my car and have never changed the rear tyres....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

It also depends on what type of tyre you buy. Soft compound tyres will wear quicker then hard ones. But you'll get more grip with the soft ones. Get a set of Matador, they are a really crap tyre but should last you for a good while.

Advertisement