Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Stamp Duty Legislation

Options
  • 08-09-2005 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if where I can find all the info I need about this legislation which came into effect in April.

According to the Indo today you only have to pay one fee no matter how many credit cards you have. MBNA appear to think otherwise.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi Tazz,

Some basic info is here (see Financial Cards section) on the Oasis site and the exact legalese of it is here on page 206 of the Finance Bill (2003).

AFAIK you do have to pay the duty per card, but only once per year i.e. if you switch providers you don't have to pay the stamp duty charge twice (but I am open ot correction on this).

HTH

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

OK. Found the information I need over at the revenue's site.

The Indo is in error. You pay the charge on each CC account.

Mind you, that opens up an grey area, where you can show a statement of closure from your old credit card account to each new credit card provider.

Interesting!

(Thanks for the info Spock. Think we posted at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Tazz T wrote:
    Does anyone know if where I can find all the info I need about this legislation which came into effect in April.

According to the Indo today you only have to pay one fee no matter how many credit cards you have. MBNA appear to think otherwise.

whats changed is that you cancel one card and get a new one , and still only pay once (i think you get a refund on the first one)... as long as only one card is active at any time...

Advertisement