Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Kerr was to go?

• 08-09-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Now i know this isnt going to happen and i dont think it should (he should get the next qualifying too in my opinion) but im hearing a lot of murmurs or discontent and id like to know, reallistically who would you like to see in the irish job next (say after the world cup). im not gonna give anyone to choose from just pick a name, its gotta be a possible though not Jose Mourinho.
    ill go with Dave O'Leary itd be tough to get him to leave a premier league club but its possible. More realistically though id probably opt for Chris Hughton.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I want Kerr to be given another shot and what more I think he deserves it but if they did get rid of him Martin O'Neil would be the best man.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

good one actually never thought of him, hes unattached at the mo too. Amazing how you forget bout managers when they're not around.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I don't think we could afford O'Leary or O'Neill.
    I'd like us to try and get someone with a knowledge/experience of continental football.
    Troussier?
    Hiddink?

Someone link that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I don't think we have enough strong options in each position , especially up front.

Bring back a recuitment drive like there seemed to be in the late eighties early nineties, anyone with Irish heritage should be considered.

On a separate note that young Kearney lad from Cork City would have perfomed better than Duff last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i wouldnt want any foreign manager and think kerr deserves another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Martin O'Neill always said he wanted to be Ireland manager someday.
    If Kerr doesn't get us to the World Cup then He may consider it. Although he did take time out of the game to spend more time with his family.

since it's a part time job anyway maybe it would suit him, give him more time at home with the family.

Kerr shouldn't be fired though, He was brilliant with the underage teams, knows how to develop players that are younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bring back a recuitment drive like there seemed to be in the late eighties early nineties, anyone with Irish heritage should be considered.

On a separate note that young Kearney lad from Cork City would have perfomed better than Duff last night.

Omg .... if you do the 1st line the 2nd one will NEVER happen, why not support england or france if you want to see good players playing.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Roy Keane

i'd love to see him as assistant or involved in some form, but not as manager till he proves himself. whats needed is someone who can get the best out of the players and has the tactical clout.

martin o'neil
    rafa benitez ;)
    roddy collins....mwahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

DubGuy wrote:
    Roy Keane.
    There's a few things about Roy taking over -
    1 - A few managers have gotten their break in international management recently (Hughes, Rikaard) before moving onto club management, traditionally it was the other way around
    2 - Can you see Roy Keane working with the FAI, or the FAI working with him?
    3 - Mick McCarthy took a lot of flak for living in England and not seeing Eircom League games, and never picking any players from the eL, Roy would be the same
    4 - Kerr knows more about the underage setup, and is still involved in it in a minor capacity (AFAIK) - would Roy be the same

NB: These points could be levelled to any new manager, Roy's just an example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pat Dolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Pat Dolan.

If he was never allowed speak to the press and only allowed talk when the payers were around , not a bad choice :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Martin O'Neill is the obvious choice, whether he'd be interested at the moment or even in the near future is another question. If he quit Celtic recently because of his wifes ill health it's unlikely that he is ready to return to a job in the near future. Maybe by the time the 2008 Euro qualifiers come around he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

How about John Giles or Eamonn Dunphy just to see how they get on :D:D

On a serious note i wouldn't mind seeing someone like John Aldridge. He did a decent job with tranmare iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

What about Roy Hodgson. Did a good job with Switzerland

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

How about John Giles or Eamonn Dunphy just to see how they get on

Giles could never be manager again, he capped Dunphy for **** sake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If we don't qualify, Kerr should get the boot.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Dirty Sanchez. Himself or Martin o Neill would be top of my shortlist, but I'd give all the interviewees a chance to impress, just like any employer would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Pat Fenlon !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

jubbly wrote:
    Pat Fenlon !!!

I think this thread was looking for serious answers. :p

Nutsy plays proper long ball in the champions league and we all know how sucessful we were with that in the past:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What about Roy Hodgson. Did a good job with Switzerland

And then helped to ruin Blackburn. Ireland need a manager who can get the most out of limited players. I would of said Joe Kinnear years ago before he fell out of the limelight.

Seriously, if Martin O Neill is available then he just might be the man for the job.

When Martin O'Neill said he'd like to manage Ireland though, did he not mean Northern Ireland?

nah, i dont think so. Ireland is the republic of Ireland. Norn Iron is something else... besides what nationalist do you know would want to manage the loyalist regieme ?

When Irish people talk about Ireland, we mean the Republic. We call Northern Ireland the North usually.

But O'Neill is from Northern Ireland and when he refers to Ireland I would take it as meaning Northern Ireland. He would call Ireland the Republic as Northern Ireland people tend to.

He played for Northern Ireland and I'd imagine he would want to manage them. It'd be great to see take over from Kerr though. He brings alot of passion to the job.

In fairness people from the north never say Ireland when they refer to Northern Ireland, Its always norn Iron. Im almost 101% he is refering to the better team - Ireland.

Kerr has been knifed in the back by the FAI Lemlin, they wanted him to fall flat on his face from day one. Its a disgrace the way things are in this bog of a country. Kerr is being made the fal guy for the decades of foul ups and mis management by the FAI and the public seem happy to go along with this sham.

DELANEY SCÚM OUT NOW :mad:

This is another sham by the FAI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I think all this talk of kerr going is absolute rubbish and anyone who thinks it's time for change clearly dont understand football.... We are a small nation with some very good talent....duff, the keanes, given, people like that, who would walk onto any international team, but then we have people like Stephen Elliot, Cunningham, Breen, who wouldnt.

But they are the best we have, even if Ferguson, Benitiez, or Wenger got the job. they cant magic players out of thin air. I have no complainants at all about Kerr, he lost his first home game in 2 years to the France one of the best teams in Europe, and came away from their place with a nil all draw!

All these people taking of change, what would you do if you where in charge. I dont see many alternitives!

That's why I say we need a manager who can get the most from limited players. A manager like O'Neill who can show passion and get players to play out of their skins. Lawrie Sanchez did it for Northern Ireland the other night.

I'm not happy with Kerr at all. Fact is that his tactics have let us down in the two games against Israel. Both of which we should have won. Then we wouldn't be in this predicament.

If we can't beat Switzerland at home though, we don't deserve to go to the World Cup. After all, they went to Euro 2004 ahead of us and were hammered by every team they played.

the only thing I can fault Kerr for is that the players dont really seem up for it... motivated and the like. Tatically I think he did ok, we made some mistakes but he was very unlucky

• Advertisement

If we win the next two games people will compare him to Jack Charlton, and the french game will be seen as a blip, thats the way football fans are, people have short memories. I really really hope for his sake we qualify. Give the man a chance

Even if we win those two games, it'll be another play off. And with some of the opposition we could face, I wouldn't fancy our chances at all.

Lemlin wrote:
    Even if we win those two games, it'll be another play off. And with some of the opposition we could face, I wouldn't fancy our chances at all.

if france and swiss draw and we win both games we top the group

I see Kerr got a real slating in the newspapers today. Most of it is, Kerr is too cautious, Kerr has to go if he doesnt win the next two games, Kerr is responsible for our poor performances, We dont have the players and how can we expect to continue to keep punching above our weight, etc etc.
    if france and swiss draw and we win both games we top the group
    are you sure ? I thought France had to lose against the Cyprus for that to happen. Plus we need 6 goals against the Cyprus.

jubbly wrote:
    I
    are you sure ? I thought France had to lose against the Cyprus for that to happen. Plus we need 6 goals against the Cyprus.

My mistake, ur right. Damn I was wrong (yes i admit it!) only a play off place is in our own hands!

Advertisement