Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Text file conversion Help?

• 08-09-2005 4:33pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a large text file with numbers in the format 6.693.769,40
    My problem is that the . is the thousand seperator and the , is the decimal point.
    I need this changed (Switch . & ,) so I can work with the report in a different program.

Is there any way to do this?

(The file is too big for excel)

Thanks

Michael

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi Michael,

Notepad should do the trick - open the file, find and replace the , to (say) : (temporarily), find and replace the . to , and then find and replace the : to .

Any help ...? obviously won't work if there are . or , or ; elsewhere in the file.

Can you post a snippet of the file...?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

If it is a problem that the file will not convert properly, assuming there are no + or * in the text change the . to + and the , to *.

When you have converted the text do a search & replace and change them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

Dr Spock,

Great minds think alike

My first visit to this topic, I usually reside in News & Media.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I can't post a snippet of the file, confindental work stuff :mad:

But cheers for the suggestion of fina and replace, only problem is that the file is about 3500 pages! and notepad didn't really like the find & replace.
    It was going very slow :(

It works ok on samller files but I dont want to break up this file if @ all posible

I'll give it another shot tmrw, work over now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have a look at TextPad or Notepad+... Textpad has a trial version and Notepad+ is free

Use TextPad over Notepad+

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Whichever editor you use, the speed at which they work will depend on your machine. Is this a job you could start at 16:59 p.m., lock the machine and come back to in the morning..?

Weclome Brendan...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers for the relpies,

in the end I got one of my programmer guys in the US to have a look at the report again and the parameters were not set correctly, thats why my report wasn't right.

Thanks

Mik

Advertisement