Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can I Buy Laser Sights?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

does anyone know if you can get a laser sight like this in a bricks and mortar shop, or an online shop.
    i wanted an adjustable laser with an on off switch not a cabled pressure switch, it doesnt have to be high end, just didnt want to have to wait for a shipment from hongkong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Okden,

Not sure what you want it for but if it is for shooting then I bought one online at cabelas online shop, had it shipped to friend of mine in NY who sent it over via his wife when she flew back here. It cost $49. Not bad, you will still need to fine tune your scope after & it will accommodate from .22 up .250. Other than that try stationary or hardware stores if not for shooting.....

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Just to let you know ,it is illegal to have them mounted on a firearm here.
    They are not brilliant in bright daylight or rainy/foggy conditions.
    But if you want one to a google search on them,almost every US gun website has them for sale.
    try www.cheaperthandirt.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Okden
    Legal issues aside, I think that item looks more like an Airsoft laser and despite it saying "for shotgun" it might not be up to the stress of mounting on a real firearm, but I could be totally wrong.
    I tryed these and thought they were pretty cool.
    http://www.crimsontrace.com/ but not cheap :mad:
    or as flattop says "not legal"

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

sorry should have said, its not for a firearm, i was just looking on ebay for lasers one step above the laser pointer keyring things, and it brought me to the laser sight in the link, then i thought someone on boards might know were to get one.
    (to be honest i didnt even know you could own handguns in ireland until i searched boards, so not being allowed put a laser on them seems strange to me, i presume its ok to import them?)

babble, if airsoft is what i think it is, thats the kinda thing i was searchin for, on/off switch, no major stresses, cheap. so an airsoft laser sight makes sense.
    none of you guys probably use airsoft guns, right?

thanks for the info anyway, im gonna search the stickies on how i can get to shoot a handgun, thats something ive always wanted to do, thougth id have to do it while abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

The spec's on the laser you found on ebay are almost identical to the power of a laser pointer.

• Advertisement

i presume its ok to import them?

No, I could not import direct from the website as they are restricted, they suggested to have it mailed to a friend in the states who would then mail it on to me.

TJ911...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

These are good AFAIK but unl;ess u spend some cash u wont get anything better then the cheap pointers.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a47/

What's the point of a laser sighted shotgun?????

sounds as useful as a mini with bull bars.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

What's the point of a laser sighted shotgun?????

sounds as useful as a mini with bull bars.....

Bad person attitude readjuster?? :D:D After hearing the shuckshuck action of a pump shotgun ,a goblin seeing a red dot on the chest or forehead might just convince the goblin that surrender or departing the scene would be most benefical to it's health and continuing existance.Has been reported by numerous LEOs in the US that just those two actions have been enough to end a few armed situations by either police or civillians.

Trojan
    No the sights are not restricted for sale.They either dont know the law or just dont want to sell to you as they might be worried that they might be ripped off on an international sale.
    direct enquiry from those who know in the State dept;Anything that is a firearm acessory that is available to the general public in the USA is not under restriction for export.Apart from items that are classified as vital components or current milspec equipment fall under munitions of war export laws.You may purchase per annum $100 worth of firearm components apart from finished recivers [and barrels??] from a manufacturer.
    So what does this mean for us?
    EG a standard gun mountable laser that you can buy in Wally world or K mart is OK. A Class one infra red laser, or thermal image sight currently used in Iraq isnt.
    A first gen Vietnam issue nite sight is proably not exportable,but second gen nite sights made in Russia are.Dunno why,but I cant get even old US technology scopes from the US.But Russian stuff of the same quality is exportable.
    It is just a question of shopping around till you find somone who will ship to you directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

i was wondering if a possible import restriction was related to the lasers power rather than anything to do with firearms, with some lasers damaging eyes quicker than others depending on how many mW's they were.
    anyway, im draging your shooting forum off topic a bit, so thanks for all the info and links its been v. helpful.

• Advertisement

Cheers Flattop,

I was not aware of the info you gave there. It's interesting to know......

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

With regards to the laser sights, eg. ones that clamp to a barrel.

Is the legal interpretation that they are illegal when mounted on a firearm, or if they are illegal if they can be.

Example, is a laser with a barrel clamp or rail mount on its own illegal, or is it illegal only when it is currently fixed to a firearm?

I find the law a bit confusing, so any precedent or experience is much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

okden wrote: »
    i was wondering if a possible import restriction was related to the lasers power rather than anything to do with firearms, with some lasers damaging eyes quicker than others depending on how many mW's they were.
    anyway, im draging your shooting forum off topic a bit, so thanks for all the info and links its been v. helpful.
    They are restricted for the very reason you have stated.... its their power that has a EU ban on class III laser products,,. I'm not 100% sure of the exact definitions but i am 100% sure that restrictions exist due to the strength of lasers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

More like panic law of the firearms&offensive weapons act 1990[?]
    Courtsey of Mr Burke and O Dea.In it you will find this thing about lasers,nite sights,Silencers Crossbows,martial arts stuff,blow guns,switchblades and other junk weaponary.Bascilly banning it.:(

All cos some gurrier took a shot at a Garda with a pistol Xbow[glorified toy] with a DIY bolt made from a meat skewer in a post office raid. So we are now not allowed to go putting lasers on our firearms.after playing around with them ,it isnt worth the effort for sporting purposes. Home defence,different story.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Motosam wrote: »
    With regards to the laser sights, eg. ones that clamp to a barrel.
    Is the legal interpretation that they are illegal when mounted on a firearm, or if they are illegal if they can be.
    There hasn't been a court precedent that I know of. From reading the Act, it's if, but it would have to be shown to be made to mount on a firearm only, and not just anything - ie., if it clamps to a round cylinder, then it's illegal when clamped to a barrel; if it's a pitacinny mount, then it's illegal from the get-go.

This is illegal as in "illegal unless you have a letter from the local superintendent", you understand. Same as for sound moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

To go slightly OT.But do these letters from your Super authorising you to posses these things,Do they have to be renewed every year, with your FAC,or now three years.Or do you have it for life????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just in case you feel like getting a letter form your super, ebaybanned.com do green lasers (usually more powerful than red) for $60ish a pop, the are all made to be mounted to rails, so don't go getting them unless you have the necessary paper work.

ebaybanned.com Laser section

Shipping is included in the shown price.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    To go slightly OT.But do these letters from your Super authorising you to posses these things,Do they have to be renewed every year, with your FAC,or now three years.Or do you have it for life????
    Depends on what's on the letter. I don't know if there's a standard time, as far as I can tell, it's the same setup as with authorisations - some places need them renewed every year, some only every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was under the impression that lasers were useful for training purposes as an aid to the instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

there might be somthing on www.scopeandrod.net its new and irish , worth a try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement