Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money to Invest,but where?

• 08-09-2005 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I've got €25,000 to invest for about 12 months. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What kind of returns do you want? How much risk are you willing to take? Can you afford to take a loss?

You need to give more information mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

For a term of 12 months, I'd be inclined to invest in a 'high' yielding deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CYOF

One of the main rules in trading is not to take advice from anyone, unless of course they are willing to show you actual details of all their successful trades and explain how they work - I intentionally left out the word investing.

One option, with 25K, is to make a decision to learn how to trade the stock markets yourself. 25K Euro is a little tight, as you need 25K dollars in your account at all times to do daytrading, but it can be done. You can do Position Trading with a short to medium term period, but it may be a lot harder to learn about risk mangement and also hard to develop some high probability strategies. With daytrading, you can trade small lots of 100 shares for a total cost of 2$ per round trip. If you are wrong, get out quickly with a SMALL loss and wait for another opportunity to trade. By the time you have lost $500 - $1000, you will have learned a lot about trading. You must, of course, do some basic study first - same as any job one would undertake. If you dive in without knowing what to do, then your $1K loss could easily be $5K or even $10K in a relativetly short period.Upside, once you know what you are doing and have got over the initial learning curve the proability of making some money becomes a reality.

Why give your money to so called experts, who will make money from your INVESTMENT no matter what way the market moves. I don't think one needs to be a genius to see which approach is the best, but in reality, very few are willing to make the commitment that is required to learn what they need to know.

CYOF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't consider getting into day-trading on money that you're going to need in 12 months. If you are not willing to put your capital at risk, stick it on deposit - NOrthern Rock offer the best demand rate at the moment.

Advertisement