Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameSoc Halo tournament

Options
  • 08-09-2005 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

Well after a little bit of discussion... it looks like the GameSoc Halo tournament is going to be on the 3rd of October, either at 6 or 7pm.
    So if you're interested...
    -turn up!
    It's going to be Halo 1 that we're playing... so concentrate your practise on that until then :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

I'll go to this :D but why Halo 1 over Halo 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good stuff but I don't have an Xbox. Is it easy to get the hang of Halo? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

rasher_b2 wrote:
    I'll go to this :D but why Halo 1 over Halo 2?
    I think kirby doesn't like halo 2. :)
    Good stuff but I don't have an Xbox
    You don't need to bring anything, all the hardware will be provided. Granted you might get whipped....

There will probably be a LAN party the week after freshers week (ie the week before this halo tourniment, ie then week of the 17th of September). Details will be forthcoming.

Syth wrote:
    You don't need to bring anything, all the hardware will be provided. Granted you might get whipped....

There will probably be a LAN party the week after freshers week (ie the week before this halo tourniment, ie then week of the 17th of September). Details will be forthcoming.

I think I'll sign up for this, even if it means getting whipped! Now if it was Pokemon, I'd be unbeatable! (don't laugh)

How come GamesSoc has finally gone down the computer game route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it on the Xbox? I'm not too good on the Xbox, lol... Will you guys be doing any other tournaments in the near future? Like maybe Pro Evo 4 on the PS2! :p I would sooooooooooo whoop anyone's ass in that game :p SOOOO.

;)

What does a LAN party entail, also? Do you need to have a laptop or something? Or is it through the campus computers? What games will be played?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'll probably get whipped in Halo but if it were pro evo 4 or super smsh bros. melee I might be able to hold my own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Do you play any old-skool games in GamesSoc Kirby like the classic Mario Kart or Street Fighter 2?

The SNES fugging rawks til this day!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

Syth wrote:
    I think kirby doesn't like halo 2. :)

:eek: But it's so good! *Blows dust off Halo 1*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*cough*
    Kirby traded in Halo 2. Because it's crap compared to Halo 1, and I wanted Burnout 3 but had no money.
    But another copy of Halo 2 *can* be acquired if that's what y'all want.
    *go working in GAME* :)
    Good stuff but I don't have an Xbox. Is it easy to get the hang of Halo?
    The controls are pretty generic console FPS controls. So fairly handy to pick up. Think TimeSplitters, but with jumping. :)
    I'll probably get whipped in Halo but if it were pro evo 4 or super smsh bros. melee I might be able to hold my own...
    I'm actually a HUGE Super Smash Bros Melee fan... The reason I picked Halo for this is because it's one of the most popular multiplayer games on ANY console and we'd like to see some of you freshers getting involved. :)
    If the interest is there... I'll see about running an SSBM tournament in November or January.
    Same with a Pro Evo night... but it'd have to be the Xbox version because I've only got a GC and Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

*go working in GAME*
    You work in GAME?
    I was in the one on Dawson Street today.
    The inside has been redone since the last time I was in there.
    It looks much better. Brighter.

• Advertisement

It looks exactly like the one in Dundrum tbh. Very generic and no character to it imo... but then I'm used to Dawson St being the relatively pokey branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

Do you play any old-skool games in GamesSoc Kirby like the classic Mario Kart or Street Fighter 2?

The SNES fugging rawks til this day!
    And its very easy to download an emulator and a version of Super MarioKart - a snes (via PC) night might be a good idea.

I have a SNES :)
    It's pretty bashed, but it works...
    Ah, memories... I'm starting to think a retro night would be fun at some stage too :)
    I'd bring the N64... Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

Ah, memories... I'm starting to think a retro night would be fun at some stage too :)
    I still have a commodore 64 but I think the tape deck went AWOL. The nostalgia...
    Unfortunately I traded my SNES in for a Playstation One back in about 1997. Biggest mistake ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

*go working in GAME* :)

Wow, you really are a nerd :p;)

I'm sure you'd be able to get a loan of a PS2 from some members of the soc! Tis no big deal really.

I may join this soc after all! :cool:

EDIT:

aww dude, get those babies and you have my eternal membership! :eek:

Wow, you really are a nerd
    lol :)
    *puts nerd hat on*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Spectrum rules all.
    Well... After you give it about 3 hours to load... But then it rules all! :D

Anyway, I'm up for this. Haven't played Halo in f**kin ages, so I'm v rusty, but I'll give it a go.

good good :)
    The more the merrier :)

I got 'elected' to the gamesoc committee to be webmaster (hey I updated the website today! go me!). I like console games and don't play much/any table top RPGs. The GameSoc auditor (Brian Wilson) asked me to do more console stuff. Since Kirby will have a lot more free time than me. (Hmmm final year vs 2nd year...), I asked her to come up with an event, she publicised it here and hence it's getting popular. Of course there will still the same old gamesoc events, it's just that none of those gamesoc committee members are on boards.

As for LANs, there have been a few last year but they were basically not advertised unless you were in the gamesoc clique. There's an internet cafe in dun laoghaire called nethouse that we go to. Mainly cause the auditor knows someone who works there so can get it cheap. The machines are oooooooold (yay windows 98!) and there ain't much space. We'll have to see what the interest is for this.

The few I've been to we've played Battlezone, Natural Selection, Starcraft, that sort of thing. Computer Services certainly wouldn't let us use their machines (hey, they're dicks!). Plus all the buildings are close at 10pm!

College societies are run by students, completly volutarily, if there's some event you'd like to see and can organise it, speak to one of the committee members for that society and odds are they'll be more than happy to rubber stamp it for you. Societies need fresh blood, after all the committee changes each year, and lots of societies have died because noone was able to take them over, so we're always happy for people to get involved.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Wow, you really are a nerd
    And she's a girl too. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

i'm up for it... i'll roxorz ur boxorz as they say in internet slang

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention that if you like games, netsoc will be running it's tetris competition again this year. You basically play tetris and it records you high score. Last year we gave an original game boy (with tetris) as first place. You have to be in netsoc to play. Great fun, a great sense of competition since the contest lasts for a few weeks and you can see the score board all through that. The person with the highest score at the end wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Now you're talking. 4 player Goldeneye was simply one of the best multiplayer games ever, same with Mario Kart 64, or two player on Super Mario Kart.

But playing PES on anything other than a PS2 is wrong.

I'm sensing some good vibes about a retro night :)

We need a Street Fighter tournament at some stage.

Hadoken! Shoryuken!

Mortal Kombat was always better really.

We need a Street Fighter tournament at some stage.

Hadoken! Shoryuken!
    I'll consider all suggestions :)

Slash/ED wrote:
    Mortal Kombat was always better really.

No way. Give me Ryu and Ken over Scorpion and Reptile any day. :cool:

No way. Give me Ryu and Ken over Scorpion and Reptile any day. :cool:

Hurray for schoolyard arguments again :D

Definitely Mortal Kombat was better, and I was a Snes man myself and the best MK was on the megadrive but it was still better. Sub Zero and Scorpion was just far cooler than any street fighter character, and Raiden just ruled. He could teleport ffs, the best street fighter had was someone who could stretch a bit.

PS Oasis or Blur? :)

Slash/ED wrote:
    Hurray for schoolyard arguments again :D

Definitely Mortal Kombat was better, and I was a Snes man myself and the best MK was on the megadrive but it was still better. Sub Zero and Scorpion was just far cooler than any street fighter character, and Raiden just ruled. He could teleport ffs, the best street fighter had was someone who could stretch a bit.

PS Oasis or Blur? :)

This argument has been settled in some style right here. ;)

Take that Raiden!

Oh, and as for the other thing, definitely Oasis. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bah... I wish I was going to college these days....

Back in the 20th Century when I was in college all we had was food poisoning.

Advertisement