Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameSoc Halo tournament

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Well of course Ken will win if he has Chun-Li hopping on for him :rolleyes: And she had a gun bigger than his body too, and yet he still took it to the wire and really would have won on points anyway.

In a fair fight we all know Raiden would beat any street fighter character, except maybe Blanca, he was cool.

And at least you restored some street cred by saying Oasis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

street fighter all the way - mortal kombat 2 was good, but it just doesn't compare to street fighter 2 turbo
    oh yeah I used to prefer oasis, but now I'm leaning towards blur...

a retro night would be the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dooid

I'll be signing up for that too me thinks. Halo 1 though! It's good and all but couldn't you have a bit of halo 2 as well?

Street Fighter 2 gets my vote over Mortal Kombat but they were both excellent though both committed the crime of too many crap sequels, especially MK3 and beyond. If anyone fancies some xbox live Street Fighter 2 add Dooid to your friends list, I'm always on the lookout for people to play that with.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Slash/ED wrote:
    Well of course Ken will win if he has Chun-Li hopping on for him :rolleyes: And she had a gun bigger than his body too, and yet he still took it to the wire and really would have won on points anyway.

In a fair fight we all know Raiden would beat any street fighter character, except maybe Blanca, he was cool.

If it went to a decision, Raiden would have been DQ'd for hitting a woman. :eek:

And the fight was plenty fair considering they were double-teaming Chun-Li!

Ryu is clearly the best character though.

The real question is, Mario or Sonic?

If it went to a decision, Raiden would have been DQ'd for hitting a woman. :eek:

And the fight was plenty fair considering they were double-teaming Chun-Li!

Ryu is clearly the best character though.

Mario of course! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ghostchant wrote:
    Mario of course! :D

Definitely. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Syth wrote:
    Forgot to mention that if you like games, netsoc will be running it's tetris competition again this year. You basically play tetris and it records you high score. Last year we gave an original game boy (with tetris) as first place. You have to be in netsoc to play. Great fun, a great sense of competition since the contest lasts for a few weeks and you can see the score board all through that. The person with the highest score at the end wins.
    Ah I remember joining Netsoc last year just to enter that. And two of the boards girls came 2nd and 3rd in it :D Liking the sound of this meet-up, but have very little experience in Halo - still will prob go anyway if I'm allowed. On the retro evening front Street fighter must be played :)
    Mario of course!
    Seconded!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

blondie83 wrote:
    Ah I remember joining Netsoc last year just to enter that. And two of the boards girls came 2nd and 3rd in it :D
    Blondie 2nd, me 3rd :)
    (and she only beat me by about 200 points...)

And it looks like I'm (reluctantly) going to have to make this Halo 2 because you're all not gonna be happy otherwise... I'll buy a preowned one in work and then just return it the day after the tournament. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Dammit I prefer the original Halo as well.

Ah screw it, I'm gonna get pwned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

This is great, I can't wait to join the games society. I played Halo online through xboxconnect for ages and like Kirby I hated 2 :)

Since there's so much interest in Street Fighter I could bring over my copy of Anniversary Edition and we could get some games of Third Strike or Street Fighter 2 going some time? Street Fighter 3 is pretty much my favourite game at the moment.

• Advertisement

Ah that's easy. Weather he be rescuring princesses (In 2d or 3d form), go karting or playing a round of golf, Mario is the king. Definitely superior to Sonic in every way, including short lived cartoon shows.

As a Nintendo-head, it must be said...
    Mario >>>>>>>>>>> Sonic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I actually prefered Luigi over Mario for some reason. Dunno kinda felt sorry for Luigi due to the lack of attention and publicity he gets in comparison to Mario. Go Luigi!

If Luigi wants the attention he'll have to do something worthwhile. Mario busts his ass saving the princess and what does Luigi do? He vacuums big mansions. He needs to check his priorities :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

yeah so an N64 night.... i still have mine :o mariokart, goldeneye and perfect dark all the way...ahhh many a sleepless night :)

tribulus wrote:
    yeah so an N64 night.... i still have mine :o mariokart, goldeneye and perfect dark all the way...ahhh many a sleepless night :)

Many a quality four player goldeneye session too. Or perfect dark with the gun that could shoot through walls, ah class.

I always won though. Always.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Many a quality four player goldeneye session too. Or perfect dark with the gun that could shoot through walls, ah class.

I always won though. Always.

boll0x you did, you were a spawn camper anyway :mad:

though the eh neighbour used to get very pissed!!!

tribulus wrote:
    boll0x you did, you were a spawn camper anyway :mad:

though the eh neighbour used to get very pissed!!!

I can only assume spawn camper is an insult :mad:

And yeah he did, but it was funny all the same. And i was the master, put me in the control (I think it was) and I was unbeatable :cool:

spawn camper: you waited around where you knew people start after dying then shot them in the back...in the back, for shame

First of all, there's no shame in success, second of all, I refute those alligations anyway. My tactic was all about picking the smallest person (I forget the name of him now, he was a hero anyway) and crouching to the point of insane frustration for all who played me.

And it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

The Teris competition could have a problem. There's a postgrad computer science student called 'themole' who is insanly good at tetris. He currently has the top 8 scores in tetris. Peter (the netsoc auditor) was joking that we'd have to buy 2 first prizes, give one to him and tell him not to play. :) I'm sure we'll work someething out.

I'm voting for mario too. Speaking of sonic, apparently sonic games are "invariant under LSD transformation". :)

So Gar has competition with the whole Tetris thing? Lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

i'd be interested in donating my xbox to be used during the halo tournament. im not sure if gamesoc needs one or even has many at their disposal. i could also provide a network hub.

will there be specific games or just slayer? i mean like Team Slayer, CTF, Team CTF, Oddball etc... or wacky off the wall games like Rocket Slayer!!!

Rocket slayer sounds like fun :)
    We have 2 Xboxes (mine and Kevok's) that we can use, and thanks for the offer, HappyCrackhead :)
    I'm undecided as to run it as a structured tournament (that'd probably be either Slayer or CTF) or just a loose night of multiplayer. The loose format would probably work best with lower numbers though, and that's *not* really what we're aiming for.
    We're trying to get 2 projectors, so we can link 2 Xboxes for hot 8-player action :) (or 2 projectors and a TV..12 player) That would work quite well for team games though, with one team on each projector.
    *is brainstorming now*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

i'd be interested in donating my xbox to be used during the halo tournament. im not sure if gamesoc needs one or even has many at their disposal. i could also provide a network hub.
    That would actualy be great. Rainbow Kirby will be able to provide her XBox. It would be cool to have 8 player action. That really depends on how many projectors we can get.

None of this has actually been booked or confirmed yet, but I'll book the blue room in the student center on monday, so in a few days we'll know for sure. The student center has at least one projector, so you can play Halo on 1.5m sized screens. If they have *2* projectors and screens that we can use... well that'd be just fantastic. :)

EDIT: Damn you curvy, getting in there before me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Why do we need to play Halo1? I can get hold of a few copies of Halo 2, if the problem is nobody having it.
    I can also load the 9 new maps on to your xboxes as well.
    Halo 2 multiplayer is so much better than Halo1, even if the single player can't compare.

And it looks like I'm (reluctantly) going to have to make this Halo 2 because you're all not gonna be happy otherwise... I'll buy a preowned one in work and then just return it the day after the tournament.
    And the 9 maps would be gratefully accepted :)

the 9 new maps are really cool, even though im as horrendously bad at them as i am at the old ones.
    I was playing halo 2 on science day and got my ass handed to me. on a plate. :)

And I'll have my ass handed to me on a plate at this tournament too. But it's all good "clean" fun (assuming no teabagging...:rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

But it's all good "clean" fun (assuming no teabagging...:rolleyes: )
    Obviously you've never benn to a halo tournament. :D

Advertisement