Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameSoc Halo tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

personally i'd prefer to play halo one, especially if we have any rookies out there halo one is easier to a certain extent with the added player health bar.

The blue room? are you sure? that place gets mighty hot, the last thing you need are a bunch of sweaty nerdlingers who havent showered in a month stinking the place up.

I kid of course, but ive been in there more than once.

How would u feel about a cash tournament?(maybe not a good idea but worth a thought for the end of the year) or even a scoreboard, online, both per night and an aggregate?

For the first night perhaps some kinda rotation system if we have more players than xboxes/controllers to go round. And just regular slayer to get people into the game especially rookies.

My only other suggestion would be a crash course for people either out of practice or who've never played. Say one of the small rooms upstairs in the Student centre, poker soc did something similar for texas hold'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

personally i'd prefer to play halo one, especially if we have any rookies out there halo one is easier to a certain extent with the added player health bar.

The blue room? are you sure? that place gets mighty hot, the last thing you need are a bunch of sweaty nerdlingers who havent showered in a month stinking the place up.

I kid of course, but ive been in there more than once.

How would u feel about a cash tournament?(maybe not a good idea but worth a thought for the end of the year) or even a scoreboard, online, both per night and an aggregate?

For the first night perhaps some kinda rotation system if we have more players than xboxes/controllers to go round. And just regular slayer to get people into the game especially rookies.

My only other suggestion would be a crash course for people either out of practice or who've never played. Say one of the small rooms upstairs in the

Student centre, poker soc did something similar for texas hold'em.
    Crash course sounds like a great idea (haven't played Halo in so long!). Oh and showering beforehand should be mandatory ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

How exactly does the gamesoc work? Is it mostly organised monthly stuff like this or what?

Also Halo 1 has better smaller maps that aren't as annoying to learn off as the ones in 2 which makes it good for small groups and newcomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Before now.. it's been mostly some crusty Dungeons'n'Dragons-heads. But this year... we want more console games. If this goes well, we could make it a monthly thing.
    I'm already thinking a casual Retro Night for early November :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Halo tournie? Count me the hell in! It's ON. It's on like Donkey Kong! Yeah I think Halo 2 might be a slightly better choice though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

A fighting game night would be great some time too.

5 player bomberman seems like a must for the retro night though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

OH mE! me want halo game now! i loooove halo1, far better then 2, but ive been playing h2 soo much over the last year, so i'll be a bit rusty (no pun intended) Dooid, man we should get some Snipers to this !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

If we're doing a multiplayer, it has to be Halo2.

meh.... halo 1... come on....

No! 1.More maps( better maps )
    2. More Game Types
    3. Combo weapons are fun on multiplayer
    4. You can't have swords in Halo1
    there are loads more reasons that i can't think of, but the fact of the matter is Halo2 is built for multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Obviously you've never benn to a halo tournament. :D
    Obviously you've never been to a GameSoc event. One LAN party we spent all night making fancy jokes.

Before now.. it's been mostly some crusty Dungeons'n'Dragons-heads.
    Ssh, you don't want Wilson to hear you. He'll hit you with his mighty LARP weapons of fake swords.

Ssh, you don't want Wilson to hear you. He'll hit you with his mighty LARP weapons of fake swords.
    But Wilson SUCKS!

suzy is on the committee... which one are u kirby??

But Wilson SUCKS!
    Yes, yes he does. Nothing in particular, just in general.

Who's Wilson???

suzy is on the committee... which one are u kirby??
    Not actually on the committee... but I seem to have been roped in as general organising-stuff bitch (due to most of the committee being in final year, and somehow deciding that I have lots of free time).
    Who's Wilson???
    GameSoc auditor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Who's Wilson???

He went to my secondary school! small world... :D

And for the record, I'm the webmaster, Rory McCann. And I'm the one who did the kirby roping. Mainly cause I'm in final year now.

Hehe, 4th year :p
    *impending real world alert*

The room has been booked and booking confirmed. It will definitly be happening on Monday 3rd of October in the blue room in the student centre. We will definitly have one hightbeam/projector, and if the other is free on the day, we'll be able to have to other. Yay! Get practicing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow, cool! :D Efficient ;)

How do these tournaments work? 1 v 1 and pass it on, winner stays on? Or something? lol. I've never played Halo on the Xbox, can I still join? :D

DaveMcG wrote:

How do these tournaments work? 1 v 1 and pass it on, winner stays on? Or something? lol. I've never played Halo on the Xbox, can I still join? :D
    Plan, eh? We'll sort something out on the day. :) And yes all are welcome. Kirby and Kevok are trying to get me to play an XBox. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

It'll probably be a combination of things, there'll be at least 2 linked xbox's, mine and Kirby's, but she's the boss (of this particular event) so all the details are down to her. So if you want anything specific, she likes diet coke and any game made by Nintendo. :D

DaveMcG wrote:

Of course you can join :)
    I'm not exactly wonderful at Halo myself, but I enjoy the game and that's all that matters. :)
    Most likely we'll be playing Slayer, which is straight deathmatch. We're going to have 2 Xboxes linked up, so if we can get enough controllers there'll be 8 players at a time. :)
    I'm still trying to decide whether to have a formal tournament structure or just a loose bragging-rights night.

not to be raggin on u,

but given the obvious interest here, do u think 2 xboxes and 8 controllers will be enough?

not raggin

It's hard to say... but 3 Xboxes and 12 controllers would of course be better :)
    The problem is... getting our hands on that many controllers. I'm going to borrow some off the guys in work (I work with 8 guys, 7 have Xboxes)
    The question is can we get a TV to go with having 2 projectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

It's hard to say... but 3 Xboxes and 12 controllers would of course be better :)
    The problem is... getting our hands on that many controllers. I'm going to borrow some off the guys in work (I work with 8 guys, 7 have Xboxes)
    The question is can we get a TV to go with having 2 projectors?

Most of the people going to this will have an xbox so why don't we all just bring up controllers...or even more xboxes if needed?

That would help... you'd just have to make sure that you'd marked your name somewhere on the controller. Stickers may be supplied for that purpose :)

Oh btw... we have it definitely confirmed for the 3rd of October at 6.30pm. We have the Blue Room for 3 hours.

not to be raggin on u,

but given the obvious interest here, do u think 2 xboxes and 8 controllers will be enough?

not raggin
    The main limiter is the highbeams/projectors. The student centre only has two. So if we want more xboxes linked up, we'd need to bring in a telly (or two). Which is unlikely, since tellys are heavy. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'll be there with bells on!

Yaay.. official nerddom begins!

Advertisement