Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameSoc Halo tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Andore wrote:
    Cool, thanks. Are there going to be posters for this up around the place over the next week?
    Yep should be. Myself and kirby will be doing that sometime. Depends on when 'the rip' (when services go round and tear down all the posters) is, but it's pretty unpredicable. That reminds me... Get round to postering.

OK people, kirby and myself just put up a fair amount of posters. You should know that due to limited hardware and places in the Blue Room, we have to limit it to 45 people. :( You have to sign up in order to come, places are limited.. You can find details on how to sign up on the GameSoc website.

The 'sign up sheet' we had on the stand was only to get an idea of the numbers. After seeing how many people were interested, we realised we had to limit the number of people. :( Anyone who put their email address on the fresher's tent signup sheet will recieve an email within a day or two saying the same information.

I don't like having to limit numbers, but it's something that has to be done due to the small size of the blue room and the limited amount of time and xboxes. We have learned and will plan future events accordingly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just signed up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know whether to sign up or not considering I've never played Halo before...

I've never played an Xbox before, and I signed up :p Give it a shot, there's no prize for winning (AFAIK :eek:), it's just a bit of craic!

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    I just signed up :)
    Good man yourself.

The plan is to have 2 XBoxes linked together, they will be connected to the 2 projectors. The actual tourniment will be held on them.

There will be a third XBox (kindly provided by HappyCrackHead :) ) that will be connected to an ordinary telly. This will be the 'fun XBox', the one to just play around with. So you don't have to compete directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I signed up too, better get my thumbs exercised and in ship shape. Is it actually a tournament with a prize and what not?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

I signed up. How is this going to work? Do we all get to make profiles or will it just be player 1, 2 etc....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 craiglen

OK 2 questions.

First of all, i've got some mates who aren't in UCD but are CLASS at halo and want to come and kick everyones asses. Will they get in alright if they're not students?

and are there any other halo tournaments on around the place? preferably halo 2

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

personally that isnt very fair... many of the people coming may not have played halo1/2 before and just going for some fun. not looking to get their asses kicked by non-UCD people. plus, you have to be a member of the society to be in the tournament so that basically pricks a hole in ur idea.

cant find sign up thing, discussed donating an xbox+4 controllers.... so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

oooh found it, im number 16....

Nah I wouldn't be too keen on non-UCD people being there either.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Nah I wouldn't be too keen on non-UCD people being there either.

Hey Dave, you do boxing don't you? Can you make the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

With the fact the numbers are limited, no non-UCD people. :)

rasher_b2 wrote:
    I signed up. How is this going to work? Do we all get to make profiles or will it just be player 1, 2 etc....?

Anyone know? for controller settings and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

Maybe the first post should be updated with the sign-up page? Also is it going to be at 6 or 7 and where exactly is it taking place, I am not very good with directions :)

Hey Dave, you do boxing don't you? Can you make the tournament?

Nah I didn't sign up for boxing in the end (had to be a bit more selective with my choice of clubs, at that price!:eek:) I might join at the 'second chance' thing in February, or whenever. So no, no tournament :p

(did you join brazilian jiu jitsu, btw?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

curses... i'm working :'(

oooh found it, im number 16....
    Nah you don't have to sign up. I think people who provide hardware should definitly get it. :)

Andore wrote:
    Also is it going to be at 6 or 7 and where exactly is it taking place, I am not very good with directions
    It's at 7pm.

It's taking place in the Blue Room in the Student Centre. The Student Centre is the building near where the fresher's tent was. It's building number 17 in this UCD map: http://www.ucd.ie/virtualtour/map.htm

The Blue Room in directly above the services desk in the student centre. Go up the stairs near the Grind (the sandwich shop).
    rasher_b2 wrote:
    Is it actually a tournament with a prize and what not?
    There will be a structured tourniment with a clear winner, but there are no prizes or 'member's reception' ( ;) ) afterwards.
    rasher_b2 wrote:
    Odds are it'll just be a player 1, 2, 3, 4 etc type thing. Less bureaucracy = More gaming. :)

DaveMcG wrote:
    Nah I didn't sign up for boxing in the end (had to be a bit more selective with my choice of clubs, at that price!:eek:) I might join at the 'second chance' thing in February, or whenever. So no, no tournament :p

(did you join brazilian jiu jitsu, btw?)

Nah, I couldn't do BJJ as Thursdays and Saturdays are no good for me. I'm still not sure if I should do this Halo thingy or not tomorrow...

• Advertisement

Holy sheeiiite, I didn't realise it was tomorrow! :eek:

I'll still be there, just caught me off guard :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

Syth wrote:
    It's at 7pm.

It's taking place in the Blue Room in the Student Centre. The Student Centre is the building near where the fresher's tent was. It's building number 17 in this UCD map: http://www.ucd.ie/virtualtour/map.htm

The Blue Room in directly above the services desk in the student centre. Go up the stairs near the Grind (the sandwich shop).

Thanks for this.
    Odds are it'll just be a player 1, 2, 3, 4 etc type thing. Less bureaucracy = More gaming. :)

The thing is though everyone has different preferences, some people like to invert their controls, some people like different sensitivity settings, some people turn off rumble etc. There's no way to edit these prefences in-game which would mean if someone wanted to change something they'd have to go into the profile screen anyway so surely it'd be easier if everyone made profiles before starting?

Andore wrote:
    The thing is though everyone has different preferences, some people like to invert their controls, some people like different sensitivity settings, some people turn off rumble etc. There's no way to edit these prefences in-game which would mean if someone wanted to change something they'd have to go into the profile screen anyway so surely it'd be easier if everyone made profiles before starting?

Yeah, that's why I was asking. Also, it'll be easier to keep track of who is who and who we're killing etc...so we get a name instead of just a number.

Wow, only 18 signed up... I was expecting it to be jammers!

Andore wrote:

Ah I see. I've never played Halo (I'll be wearing my 'Everything I know I learned from Nintendo' tshirt with pride tomorrow :) ), so I didn't know about this. Kirby would know this. We'll probably do that then.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Wow, only 18 signed up... I was expecting it to be jammers!
    I know... Though the sign up page only shows the number of GameSoc member's who've signed up. In total 28 people have signed up. The posters up around campus say there is limited space, but I suspect a lot of people didn't read that far. :( I just don't want to have to turn people down on the night. :(

Just heard someone across from me in the 2nd year CS lab talking about this :)

Looks like I'm gonna have to kill science services... it involved *far* too much effort trying to stuff my Xbox into my locker this morning! :eek:

If you want to get a profile set up, come to the Student Centre between 6.30 and 7pm because we'd like to be able to get going with the matches at 7pm. :)

Good luck to everyone!

Looks like I'm gonna have to kill science services... it involved *far* too much effort trying to stuff my Xbox into my locker this morning! :eek:
    :) You wuss. I'm carrying this telly around for the day.

0wned :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just home now, 5th overall so I'm fairly chuffed. Do videogames be played much as part of Gamesoc, the website hardly mentioned them and there is a huge market of people who would join gamesoc if that aspect of it was advertised more publicly. Also it would have been a lot better if we got more than 8 player going and kept each person on the same xbox so everyone would only have to make their profile once. Just a few thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Goddamn that guy in that freakin Banshee!!!
    Bring on the PC based lans !!!!!

Advertisement