Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ClearlyClear

Moved into plassey on Wednesday its a mad place ....some up sides to it :) and some down sides :o !
    Up Sides
    All first year housemates
    Location ....location
    Partying
    Staff

Down-sides
    Bathroom sharing
    Smell (Room smelt very bad ,first purchase as a student was an air freshener)
    Wooden Windows (Not all houses have them )
    All the broken stuff !

Overall
    Happy enough it will do for the partying first year

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jackburke

GraGra90 wrote: »
    Just a point of information: Brookfield internet did have many problems last year. However, this year the internet system has been upgraded with a system brought in from the UK (not available in Ireland yet). This means that it should not stop working even if the electricity goes. Also by making the broadband free it means that all the ports are open and the system should run more smoothly as a result!

If it's not available in Ireland (meaning there is no availability of the system in Ireland) then what the hell is it doing in Brookfield? That's a student comment to make. This sounds like the management trying to make excuses. Also by opening all the ports it would slow the thing down. It's closing ports would speed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Moved into Brookfield last sun. Its great, nice apt, lovely housemates, brilliant bus and very helpful reception :P Only one problem so far......the internet - look I know its been done to death but its says mine isn't connecting so is there anyone living in brookfield who could give me a hand? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Well having finally got them to fix the water heater in the apartment (3 mornings of cold showers are not fun), my only problem with Brookfield is the already well documented slow (less than 700kbps often dropping completely, ping at 300 and higher) internet. Despite their insistence this new system is going to improve things, based on what they've told me (opening up ports, prioritising browsing over downloads, creating a clock-in system) I can't really see any of that actually improving the service, as someone already said opening all ports will actually slow things down and given the relative expense of Brookfield it's a bit of a joke the broadband is so slow.

Oh, and before I forget after the changes to the internet system, if you're still unhappy with the speed Brookfield will kindly accept a nominal fee to increase it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

Oh, and before I forget after the changes to the internet system, if you're still unhappy with the speed Brookfield will kindly accept a nominal fee to increase it again.

Haha, well i'm happy i moved away from Brookfield.
    It's great being on the UL 1 Gbits/s backbone with HeaNET in thomond. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Loving my internet connection in my Studentheim in Graz, 10MB which from what im used to is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

i tested the internet in dromroe the other day at 60mb!

love these ensuites but its fair quiet out here, down to kilmurray for all the parties

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

60Mb... I'm FAIRLY sure that can't be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

I was sure we'd have wireless but alas....
    I'm in Plassey too. Bit of a kip but it's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

In elm park .. its handy if ur goin to the lodge and its very cheap but its not great for parties .. anyone else in first year know where the parties are??? im dyin to meet new ppl an make new friends!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

Hi guys im hopin to come to ul next year (yes i know its still 11 months away!!) but i'm just wondering if anyone could tell me what thomond/dromroe is like for 1st years??

I'm ridiculously excited about goin to ul!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rmek

Does anyone know when people who will be in first year next year should start booking accommodation?:confused:
    And where should I stay? On campus is soundinfg good but I cant figure out which village? Is it worth giving up an ensuite for a busier place?
    Please help!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

rmek wrote: »
    Does anyone know when people who will be in first year next year should start booking accommodation?:confused:
    And where should I stay? On campus is soundinfg good but I cant figure out which village? Is it worth giving up an ensuite for a busier place?
    Please help!:D
    Nothing beats an en-suite:D:D

ninty9er wrote: »
    Nothing beats an en-suite:D:D
    I'm dying without one in Plassey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

Niamh_ wrote: »
    I'm dying without one in Plassey!
    ensuites are overrated . im sharing one bathroom between 6 in elm park and not a bother on us.
    Come to Elm Park it needs more students !!!!

Mallox wrote: »
    ensuites are overrated . im sharing one bathroom between 6 in elm park and not a bother on us.
    Where is that?
    The one good thing about Plassey is you can sleep in compared to other places :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 red devils

Have to say stayed in Groody for three years. Never thought they were morons - maybe you weren't a good tenant!
    cornbb wrote: »
    These are all fairly broad generalisations and opinions of the areas I've lived in.

Milford Grange: good location, close to college/shops/offie, houses vary, lived in a crappyish one on Avilla and a nice cheap one on dun an oir. Rent is not expensive

College Court: Rent a little more expensive but good location. A lot of nice houses.

Groody village: nice big apartments but management are morons (or at least were when I lived there)

Brookfield village: only been here a month but I like it. Nice fast broadband, large ensuite room, nice apartment, rent is reasonable for what you get. Location isn't the best but there's a free shuttle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mallox wrote: »

Elm Park is a hole.

Far, far better accommodation out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

rmek wrote: »
    And where should I stay?
    Was wondering about this too,Can I wait until after the CAO deadline or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Deadline is when again?

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Was wondering about this too,Can I wait until after the CAO deadline or not?
    You can book now. If you don't get a place in first choice in UL you're given back your deposit. After that if you decide you don't want to stay you will still get back your full deposit as long as you contact them before you are meant to move in. This is for campus accommodation. I don't know about any of the rest. There is still a fair few places left this year on campus but I wouldn't leave it to chance if that's what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 blinux

i want to move into college for the second semester of this year ie January. My number one choice is College Court. I went to the Accommadation Office, and they only really deal with on campus accommadation? Does anyone have any idea how i go about checking out off campus Accommadation. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi blinux

The accommadation office should have a list of all the student places, including College Court, around the Castletroy area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ciara1988

1st yr- Dromroe
    What a year! Originally had booked into Kilmurry but when I saw my house I was horrified... it just wasn't for me! After plently of pleading and begging I was left into Dromroe- to live with 4th yrs!!! Turned out to have a fantastic time, craziest house with the best people! Only down side was the 4th years were going to be gone the next year:(

2nd yr, Sem 1- Thomand
    Decided to move in somewhere on my own rather than with friends so I'd make more friends... big mistake! I was really just unlucky with the house I got- a 4 bedroom house in the back of Thomand with the quietest people ever! Couldn't handle it at all and moved out after one semester.

2nd yr, Sem 2- Groody
    Great time! Replaced someone who was moving out to go on co-op. Really liked the houses and the atmosphere around the place. Was a nice 15mins walk to college but was actually nice to get some air in the mornings and I'd a car if it was raining. Lived with 5 other really nice girls, there was the odd arguement but I had no problems! Really, really liked it though overall.

3rd yr- Troy
    Having a ball! Troy seemed to be the only place that would take students for one semester- we're going on co-op for sem 2:( Moved in with my friends and we're having the time of our lives! Mostly 3rd years living here, houses are very nice- 4 ensuites and 2 other rooms sharing one bathroom. Great buzz about the place but will probably be alot quieter for sem 2 as most people are going on co-op!

4th yr- I'm thinking Groody!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

Bigrob wrote: »
    Hi guys im hopin to come to ul next year (yes i know its still 11 months away!!) but i'm just wondering if anyone could tell me what thomond/dromroe is like for 1st years??

I'm ridiculously excited about goin to ul!!!

Hey Bigrob. I live in Dromroe this year (first year) and I'm finding it very good.
    It's true that security is tight; they shut down any house parties fairly lively. But trust me, that's not such a bad thing. I hear some terrible stories of Kilmurry houses getting absolutely wrecked by randomers barging into parties, seeing an open door after a night on the lash, whatever. I know that's not the general case but I'm very happy with my choice. Here's the Dromroe breakdown:

Yay:
    -Close to CSIS building and campus in general
    -Own shop and laundrette (shop is great at lunchtimes; tiny queues)
    -Quiet for studying (you will eventually find this useful)
    -Nice big rooms you can have a friend or two over in
    -All double beds, all ensuite (as far as I know)
    -Living areas well-equipped and comfortable

Nay:
    -Can be very boring at weekends (but this is true for the college as a whole)
    -Still get the odd pack of eejits shouting outside the window at 3am, luckily it's rare
    -A bit far from Arena/PESS

I can't think of anything else offhand. Hope that helps. See the maps for more coherent info on what exactly Dromroe is/n't close to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    Hey Bigrob. I live in Dromroe this year (first year) and I'm finding it very good.
    It's true that security is tight; they shut down any house parties fairly lively. But trust me, that's not such a bad thing. I hear some terrible stories of Kilmurry houses getting absolutely wrecked by randomers barging into parties, seeing an open door after a night on the lash, whatever. I know that's not the general case but I'm very happy with my choice. Here's the Dromroe breakdown:

Yay:
    -Close to CSIS building and campus in general
    -Own shop and laundrette (shop is great at lunchtimes; tiny queues)
    -Quiet for studying (you will eventually find this useful)
    -Nice big rooms you can have a friend or two over in
    -All double beds, all ensuite (as far as I know)
    -Living areas well-equipped and comfortable

Nay:
    -Can be very boring at weekends (but this is true for the college as a whole)
    -Still get the odd pack of eejits shouting outside the window at 3am, luckily it's rare
    -A bit far from Arena/PESS

I can't think of anything else offhand. Hope that helps. See the maps for more coherent info on what exactly Dromroe is/n't close to.

thanks for that info, since posting my question i went to the open day and saw an apartment in dromroe.i was really impressed so i think im goin to go there!
    thanks a lot guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Just wondering is there wireless in plassey village?

Daragh101 wrote: »

Nope.
    I didn't even contemplate that there wouldn't be before I moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 charleocoyle

lived in drumroe or the first 3 years pretty awesome so near to collage but expensive living in brookfield now its ok but drumroe is by far the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 charleocoyle

Daragh101 wrote: »
    no wireless in student accomadation on campus

Advertisement