Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wonderingabout

no wireless in student accomadation on campus

No but there is network cables provided in reception. & the internet is relaible. Unlike brookfiled internet which comes and goes as it pleases!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

No but there is network cables provided in reception. & the internet is relaible. Unlike brookfiled internet which comes and goes as it pleases!:(

Point of Information: There may have been a grain of truth in that statement before this year but the whole internet has been overhauled in Brookfield and I haven't had a single problem in the last 2 months, once you have your username and password from reception you should be good to go!!

If there are any problems notify reception and they will inform the company who did the installation of the new system and are contracted to maintain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dimples06

im lookin for a double room near UL to move into with my boyfriend in january but cant seem to find much on daft at this time of year. does anyone have any tips!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

look on the notice boards around campus! and there is always lettings on the board near the accom office upstairs beside the door to the jean monnet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

+ 1 For what Pacman said..

Also, take a walk around estates near to campus such as college court.
    Afaik there are a few double rooms available still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FootnMouth

Bigrob wrote: »
    thanks for that info, since posting my question i went to the open day and saw an apartment in dromroe.i was really impressed so i think im goin to go there!
    thanks a lot guys!
    Do, Im in Kilmurry this year and I hate it, Im just really unlucky though with my housemates - everything is getting destroyed! :( Fines for damages are piling up and I'm quickly going crazy....I know at the end of the day its a toss up between what kind of housemates you get, I didn't win it!
    Tbh, you couldn't pay me to stay in Kilmurry next year, let alone next semester!
    With any luck I'm moving out after Christmas -- Trust me, I'm just extreamly thankful that RAG week is in Semester2 and not1!! Otherwise, I would have a meltdown! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wonderingabout

GraGra90 wrote: »
    Point of Information: There may have been a grain of truth in that statement before this year but the whole internet has been overhauled in Brookfield and I haven't had a single problem in the last 2 months, once you have your username and password from reception you should be good to go!!

If there are any problems notify reception and they will inform the company who did the installation of the new system and are contracted to maintain it!

Its still true! It's not as bad as it was in september, it still disconnects now & then. Its no where near as effcient as i had expected. At least it's free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 UL_Girl

FootnMouth wrote: »
    Do, Im in Kilmurry this year and I hate it, Im just really unlucky though with my housemates - everything is getting destroyed! :( Fines for damages are piling up and I'm quickly going crazy....I know at the end of the day its a toss up between what kind of housemates you get, I didn't win it!
    Tbh, you couldn't pay me to stay in Kilmurry next year, let alone next semester!
    With any luck I'm moving out after Christmas -- Trust me, I'm just extreamly thankful that RAG week is in Semester2 and not1!! Otherwise, I would have a meltdown! :(

Sounds horrible, poor you :(
    Is it all your roomates that are the problem or just a few ruining it for the rest of ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

hey guys, does anyone know when they take applications for next years first years?

hey guys, does anyone know when they take applications for next years first years?
    From March! Where you going to apply to?

• Advertisement

UL_Girl wrote: »
    Sounds horrible, poor you :(
    Is it all your roomates that are the problem or just a few ruining it for the rest of ye?
    Its more friends than anything else....And I'm grand about it now...It's a case of just sticking it out until the exams are over....then I'm going to blitz the room of my stuff and vamoose out of the place!!
    Is it wrong to be so excited?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

Its more friends than anything else....And I'm grand about it now...It's a case of just sticking it out until the exams are over....then I'm going to blitz the room of my stuff and vamoose out of the place!!
    Is it wrong to be so excited?!

Haha no. It sounds horrible, so you have complete reason to be excited.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

i was originallyplanning on going to kilmurry but after having seen dromroe in the open day mixed with the comments on this about noise,damage,bad roomates (i realise that i can get bad roomates in any of the villages but times like this call for cynicism and i'll work on the assumption that all the messers go to kilmurry/plassey (no offence to current residents)) and that dromroe is well located in the campus.

I'm open to any reasons not to go to dromroe!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where do you guys suggest? I stayed in Dromroe when I was on IUP and it was really nice but, for 1st year im not sure.
    I was thinking kilmurry or plassey, veering towards plassey purely for social reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Where do you guys suggest? I stayed in Dromroe when I was on IUP and it was really nice but, for 1st year im not sure.
    I was thinking kilmurry or plassey, veering towards plassey purely for social reasons.

I was thinking Plassey too...
    Apparently the accommodation is the worst but the partying is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Honestly cannot recommend Plassey enough, only for 1st years though! Espec if you are going to college on your own or looking to make loads of new friends. Just a good vibe around the place and everyone is really friendly and everyone is up for the craic like. Some areas are quieter than others but ya can always go find the party! Not too loud at night, it has a rowdy rep but ya can always get a nights sleep if you need too, and security usually stop things getting out of hand, which can be a drag, the buzzkills :p. Having said that, the houses themself are very basic indeed, but they're adequate like, only set backs for me is a small bathroom, thats perhaps a girls perspective though, but everything else is fine, quiet cosy like! So to sum up this lenghty review, (didnt mean to be so long, i just love plassey) GO TO PLASSEY :D

Daragh101 wrote: »
    Apparently the accommodation is the worst but the partying is the best!
    I know but I wonder would it be better to trade some of the partying for a nicer house in Kilmurry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

oh let me also clarify here that there is basically no difference with plassey and kilmurry, nothing notable, both are so basic, only different layout, so do not let that be a deciding factor!

End of January according to Campus life website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FireFly2Ireland

So I am an American from Texas going to UL this spring and am preparing last bits and pieces.

So, I have gotten mixed messages about computers...I have a macbook and have been told via reading material mac's cannot connect to the UL network, but I contacted my study abroad adviser and she said I could connect but wouldn't have IT support (which is ok, I have a mac genius for a friend) so I am just wondering if I can use my macbook to connect in Plassey Village to the broadband network or not.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

So I am an American from Texas going to UL this spring and am preparing last bits and pieces.

So, I have gotten mixed messages about computers...I have a macbook and have been told via reading material mac's cannot connect to the UL network, but I contacted my study abroad adviser and she said I could connect but wouldn't have IT support (which is ok, I have a mac genius for a friend) so I am just wondering if I can use my macbook to connect in Plassey Village to the broadband network or not.

Thanks!
    I have a MacBook and the UL Network seems to work fine for me in Thomond Village so I can't see why it wouldn't work in Plassey. So you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Thanks!

Your Macbook will work fine Firefly, it is a plug and play system. I know a good few people with macbooks. Get the LAN cable at reception and plug in and go, its as simple as that!

By the way, you'll have a great time in UL! Join some of the clubs/socs that will allow you to see Ireland, such as the OPC, international soc etc and you will have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

Hey does anyone know the name of the apartments with the steps up to them behind carryout offlicence in castletroy? Beside Milford Grange?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

tazbars wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know the name of the apartments with the steps up to them behind carryout offlicence in castletroy? Beside Milford Grange?

University Court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Roney89

Anyone know of a house in milford grange with 2 bedrooms free??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rmkfda

Hi I'm mid-application process for a masters degree at UL. Just wondering where the best places to live are for someone on a very intense course who wants some peace but has little money! So somewhere near for public transport costs sake, but not near enough to have traffic cones left in the front garden by the 1st years.

My husband has to be able to travel to Cork/Dublin easily by public transport as well.

Any ideas? (moving in July if I get accepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Hey there,

I'm a mature student myself at UL. Here is an advert I saw on our Uni mail.

2 Rooms to rent in house on Childrens road.
    Its a 25 min walk to U L, only 5 min walk to bus stop going to U L.
    House located within 5 min walk to 24 hr Dunnes, has sky digitial and also FREE broadband.
    240 euro per month + Bills.
    Owner Occupied
    Postgrads or Mature Students preferred
    Contact Michael at any time
    086-8187534.

It's not too bad of an area. The other side of the road isn't great, but it's safe even at night time. It's 10 mins from the bus station maybe less depending on traffic. It is right beside a small but it's got everything shopping centre so you won't need to do much travelling around to get food, electrical, stuff for the house etc etc..Worth a look and a good start to limerick. It's well away from the student village so hope this helps!

Regards,

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rmkfda

Cheers, I've been looking on daft and city centre seems appealing. A 2 bed flat for the same price as our current Cork studio, brilliant! We would rather have our own place as we're married and argumentative!

Is it a bad idea to live in the city centre (noise/crime transport out to UL etc?).

Thanks,

Rachel

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

I just found a grand spot on the Clare side of campus. Newly built 3-story with 5 bedrooms overlooking the Shannon. Cost...well, about €1.1 million but it didn't come out of my pocket!

• Advertisement

I cant register with my cao number on the campus life website. Has anyone else been able to apply?

Advertisement