Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Hey... just wondering, is Killmurry an ok place to live to do nursing!?
    I do realise Cappa would be the closest, but I hear it is not too fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cickimc

snazzy wrote: »
    If anyone wants any info about Kilmurry for first years, I don't mind answering any questions you may have.

Kilmurry or Plassey?
    I do athletics so would help been close to the track with Kilmurry but I would like to get some good night sleeps the odd night yet enjoy the colllege life.

8 or 4? Will I get any sleep with 8, will i be living in a kip with 8 or is it managable

How long till Kilmurry does be full or does it sell out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

When do you find out if they offer a room? Is it when you get an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Bigrob wrote: »
    When do you find out if they offer a room? Is it when you get an offer?
    assume I have a place.
    I got a letter saying "we hope you enjoy your stay in Dromroe Village" so I presume I have a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

How would ye rate plassey for a first year BBS student??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

galwayu wrote: »
    How would ye rate plassey for a first year BBS student??

Absolutly class, I lived in Plassey for first year and it was epic. The houses are fairly crap and they are hard to keep clean but I had so much fun there. Made so many friends and had some great parties.

I would never live there again, it is really only a first year type of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Bill Board wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im heading to U.L. in Sept to do a masters.

Just wondering where ye would recommened for those 23yr olds who know no one but are well up for the craic, going out etc.

Hate not knowing anyone so it would be great to stay somewhere where people mix easily as i know in some estates people just stick to themselves!

Been honest im only going back to live it up collage style for another year! Hope ye can help. Cheers. :)

I'd say drumroe! Can be a good laugh but you can still get to sleep there! And a lower crime rate than Plassy/Kilmurray yet way closer than cappa/thomond :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gracielou

I'm a post grad and I have the pleasure of being here this summer studying!

Living in Dromroe and they'll be kicking me out in May.I would like to keep my double bed en-suite.... but I;m going to take in all options.

I know Thomond are offering for 84 euro a week all included
    Courtyard is 55euro I think, all included
    Brookfield is about 65 I think all included

Anyone have any other info to contribute or recommend?

I paid my 250 deposit and got a receipt from ul in the post but it said nowhere what village I got.Does anyone know what should I do???

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Hi everyone,

I'm a future first year student thinking about Drumroe village 'cos it's the closest to campus, only problem is I have to choose between a 2-bedroom and 6-bedroom (I think?). I'd like to have fun but I hear living with five other people can get a little hectic-party central and all that. But I don't want to live somewhere that's too quiet with just one other student either....balancing the two, would you say it'd be worth choosing the 6-bedrooom option?

Anyone have any bad experiences of doing that in 1st year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Yes go for the 6 bed apartment, dromroe is fairly quiet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

cickimc wrote: »
    Kilmurry or Plassey?
    I do athletics so would help been close to the track with Kilmurry but I would like to get some good night sleeps the odd night yet enjoy the colllege life.

8 or 4? Will I get any sleep with 8, will i be living in a kip with 8 or is it managable

How long till Kilmurry does be full or does it sell out?

Just finished my first year in kilmurry,
    Lived in an 8 bed house, never had any problems with them sleep wise, sometimes had to tell them to keep it down but even then, very rarely
    live right beside maguire pitch too (shortcut to lodge) and while ya do hear people walking past singing and such, its easy to sleep through. Came home to find someone threw a bottle through my window 1 week in, wasnt fun but it hasnt happened since.
    actually found it easier to keep the place clean cause whenever we had a house party/got lazy the work was shared between more and done quicker.
    As far as i know kilmurry is pretty free for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 limerick38

No security, and no one is getting their deposit back i heard because they are going bankrupt...complete rip-off place. i've been waiting since i went on work placement in feb. 2010 for my deposit and now they are not answering the phone. DO NOT LIVE THERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

limerick38 wrote: »
    No security, and no one is getting their deposit back i heard because they are going bankrupt...complete rip-off place. i've been waiting since i went on work placement in feb. 2010 for my deposit and now they are not answering the phone. DO NOT LIVE THERE!
    Heard there down to charging €50 a week also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Pumpkinseed

Bill Board wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im heading to U.L. in Sept to do a masters.

Just wondering where ye would recommened for those 23yr olds who know no one but are well up for the craic, going out etc.

Hate not knowing anyone so it would be great to stay somewhere where people mix easily as i know in some estates people just stick to themselves!

Been honest im only going back to live it up collage style for another year! Hope ye can help. Cheers. :)

I'm a post grad and living in Dromroe. I live with some final years and some other post-grads. I do really like it and would recommend it, although sometimes I have noisy neighbours and there can be a lack of sleep due to this and it ALWAYS happens when your at the worst of times. Other than that it's great.

I think Thomond has a post grad section and is meant to be veeerrrry quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

limerick38 wrote: »
    I'm on work placement now aswell but i got back most of my security deposit but have heard they are gone into liquidation and the people still living there wont be getting anything back.. The houses are unreal but arthur can be a bit of a prick. Fine's for house party etc.. Long walk to college etc..Dont stay their

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm on work placement now aswell but i got back most of my security deposit but have heard they are gone into liquidation and the people still living there wont be getting anything back.. The houses are unreal but arthur can be a bit of a prick. Fine's for house party etc.. Long walk to college etc..Dont stay their

I thought Arthur was lovely and helped us with any problems we had. Im sure this liquidation business is only a rumour.

What do you mean, it's fine for a house party or there are fines given out? Its spelt "there" also. I trust your an engineer with punctuation like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I thought Arthur was lovely and helped us with any problems we had. Im sure this liquidation business is only a rumour.

What do you mean, it's fine for a house party or there are fines given out? Its spelt "there" also. I trust your an engineer with punctuation like that?

No need for that. You can take your grammar nazism elsewhere.

Fyi; I wouldn't reccommend Troy to anyone based upon mates of mine who have had bad experiences. I'll do a review of Groody later where I lived for 3rd year.

Thinking of going to plassey next year..could someone tell me what will be in my appartment and bedroom??

thanks

galwayu wrote: »
    Thinking of going to plassey next year..could someone tell me what will be in my appartment and bedroom??

thanks

They're 8 and 6 bed houses.

Er, beds, tables... :P

Have a look through the thread. There are plenty of post re Plassey that should have your answers. Failing that; ask something specific and we'll be sure to try and answer it for you.

• Advertisement

Year 1 - Kilmurry No.23

The Good :)

Craic Factor The best way I can describe how much fun Kilmurry is; Think of a mad music festival weekend except imagine living like that for a year. There is always something happening in the village. The security are pretty nonplussed about the whole thing although I'm hearing rumours its a lot stricter now that Daft Dave is gone. Still, expect a minimum of 2 riots per semester and a house party on somewhere every night.

Convenience You are close to everything. You can afford to get up at 8.45am for a 9am lecture and still make it with time to spare. You're close to the Arena which is cool for a swim after a hard days College! You're so close to the lodge that if the ground is good-firm you can trek it on foot through the pitches. Even getting a taxi its only ~€2 each for 4. You're close to Superquinn and Fine Wines for the necessities.

Housemates I'm hanging around this year with friends I made in my own house and friends I made from just randomly heading into someone elses house. Its a great place to get to know people. You'll find it easy to make friends if you make a little effort yourself.

Other Stuff Parking is usually no problem, plenty of places. Our living room was fine, decent telly and we had very comfy couches although this isn't the norm. There are mainly anti-sex synthetic leather couches in the other houses which aren't very comfy. The house inspections are usually ok, we got second chances with them a couple of times and for the most part the village staff are sound. The price is pretty good too considering its all inclusive.

The Bad :(

Toilets This will be a major deal if you have an en-suite at home. Huge shock to the system to have to share a toilet with 3 others. You'll be alright for basic stuff as you have a sink in your room but having to wait for a shower or a ****e is annoying. Plus if your toilet is on the ground floor like ours was, it gets really messy after parties. Nasty messy.

Kitchen The size of the fridge for 8 people is an absolute joke. It's the only issue I had with the kitchen. Everything else was fine, plenty of cupboard space and the cooker and delph were fine. But the fridge is a disgrace. Very annoying if you're the last to arrive on Sunday and the thing is full.

Parties How can this be bad I hear you say? Well waking up to something resembling a rubbish dump after a party is not nice. Having to clean it up yourself is worse again. Even if you don't have parties, you can be on the recieving end, we had a couple of bottles thrown at the house and had windows and doorbells broken. The Village Manager is usually fine with it and will have it fixed for you.

Other Stuff Its luck of the draw whether you get a double bed or not. There are 4 in every house. I was lucky I got one, I'd have hated a single. I'm 6'2" and I like to stretch out in bed! Internet is fine, you can get wireless off the Village Hall now and again. Annoying if you have a bottom floor room whose window fronts out onto the path as you'll hear absolutely fooking everything.

Overall: I'd definitely reccommend it for 1st years. Way better than Plassey in my opinion.

Year 2 - 76 Cappavilla

---Coming Soon!

Year 3 [Sem 1] - 34 Groody Student Village

Party Atmosphere: Groody is simply insane. It really is party central for the whole month of September; the actual noise around the place from 6pm onwards is unbelievable. Major buzz about the place and always a party of some description on. It'll get killed off from time to time by Polski [Our friendly Polish security man] but overall it's a great place to party.

Location: Allied to the party atmosphere the place is right across from a Next Door off licence. It also contains Groody Bar which is good for matches, Subway which is good for lunches and the Pizza gaff which is good for dinner all the time at an astoundingly enticing €5 9 inch and Coke. There's also a bookies there if you fancy a flutter. You're not too far from Aldi [10-15min walk] and if you've got mates in Troy your right across from them or Courtyard you're 5 mins from them. The chinese across there isn't bad either; jumbo's €8 all you can eat buffet fed me many's the time.

Houses: The 6 beds are on top and the 4 beds down below. I'd reccommend the 6 Beds myself as the 4 beds don't have a kitchen table and are at ground noise level. Houses themselves have really comfy leather couches; decent size fridge and cupboard capacity for 6; double beds [more single and a half but still alright] and ensuites in every room. Internet is included too but beware that if you overuse your electricity allowance it'll come out of your deposit. Comfortable overall.

Other: Management company are generally sound and I got most of my deposit back unlike on campus where they took a considerable chunk of it. There's plenty of parking if you have a car and it's pretty secure with Polski patrolling at night and the fact it's all gated [you'll get a fob]. They take people for 1 semester which is good seeing as On-Campus have limited places and unless you're in with your village manager you won't get one. The overall price of it is pretty competitive for what you're getting too.

Party Atmosphere: Bad? I hear you say. Well yes. See the thing is that it doesn't stop in September. It goes on. And on. And on. If you're trying to study it's next to impossible and nevermind studying; if you're trying to sleep its next to impossible and you will be woken up frequently between 1am-5am. This is not a place to come if your looking to study; perfect for partying but if you're not into that scene then this is not for you.

Location Again whilst it's ideally positioned for the student party lifestyle it's a good bit out from UL. About a 20 minute walk which means unless you've a break of 3hrs between lectures theres no point going home. This is where on campus is cool because I could have a 1-2hr break and go home to make a sandwich. If you go to Groody you'll likely have to stay in UL for the day if you go in. A bike would be a worthwhile investment. It's a bollocks if its raining and you've no one you know driving.

Houses They are comfortable. For student houses. Naturally student wear and tear has taken their toll and the place is getting a little dated. My room door came off the hinges in my hand when I tried to open it one evening. There is also very limited storage capacity in the rooms compared to the Apartment complexes on campus. Also, the room nearest the door on the 6 beds has an electric shower and it's ****.

Overall I'd reccommend Groody for 3rd years going on co-op. It has it's faults but its better than the alternatives in ym opinion.

Right, that's a collation of my reviews so far and my Cappavilla review is in the cooker and ill add it tomorrow. If anyone has any questions relating to any of the above don't hesitate to ask. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

Hi myself and a pal are hoping to go U.L next year but are too poor to go campus accomadation.so we have decided to rent so any tips for us? on places milford grange, college court and that sort oh and especially any advice on first renting n housemates or that

Hulk Hands wrote: »

No ...Fines for house parties.. We got 2 of them.. No I do business...Not sure about the liquidation thing but if it turns out to be true I'm sure they will be down a telly or 2 and a microwave toaster iron etc....

cson wrote: »
    Year 1 - Kilmurry No.23

Craic Factor The best way I can describe how much fun Kilmurry is; Think of a mad music festival weekend except imagine living like that for a year. There is always something happening in the village. The security are pretty nonplussed about the whole thing although I'm hearing rumours its a lot stricter now that Daft Dave is gone. Still, expect a minimum of 2 riots per semester and a house party on somewhere every night.

Convenience You are close to everything. You can afford to get up at 8.45am for a 9am lecture and still make it with time to spare. You're close to the Arena which is cool for a swim after a hard days College! You're so close to the lodge that if the ground is good-firm you can trek it on foot through the pitches. Even getting a taxi its only ~€2 each for 4. You're close to Superquinn and Fine Wines for the necessities.

Housemates I'm hanging around this year with friends I made in my own house and friends I made from just randomly heading into someone elses house. Its a great place to get to know people. You'll find it easy to make friends if you make a little effort yourself.

Other Stuff Parking is usually no problem, plenty of places. Our living room was fine, decent telly and we had very comfy couches although this isn't the norm. There are mainly anti-sex synthetic leather couches in the other houses which aren't very comfy. The house inspections are usually ok, we got second chances with them a couple of times and for the most part the village staff are sound. The price is pretty good too considering its all inclusive.

Toilets This will be a major deal if you have an en-suite at home. Huge shock to the system to have to share a toilet with 3 others. You'll be alright for basic stuff as you have a sink in your room but having to wait for a shower or a ****e is annoying. Plus if your toilet is on the ground floor like ours was, it gets really messy after parties. Nasty messy.

Kitchen The size of the fridge for 8 people is an absolute joke. It's the only issue I had with the kitchen. Everything else was fine, plenty of cupboard space and the cooker and delph were fine. But the fridge is a disgrace. Very annoying if you're the last to arrive on Sunday and the thing is full.

Parties How can this be bad I hear you say? Well waking up to something resembling a rubbish dump after a party is not nice. Having to clean it up yourself is worse again. Even if you don't have parties, you can be on the recieving end, we had a couple of bottles thrown at the house and had windows and doorbells broken. The Village Manager is usually fine with it and will have it fixed for you.

Other Stuff Its luck of the draw whether you get a double bed or not. There are 4 in every house. I was lucky I got one, I'd have hated a single. I'm 6'2" and I like to stretch out in bed! Internet is fine, you can get wireless off the Village Hall now and again. Annoying if you have a bottom floor room whose window fronts out onto the path as you'll hear absolutely fooking everything.

Overall: I'd definitely reccommend it for 1st years. Way better than Plassey in my opinion.
    What year are you in now.. I lived in 30 in 1st year ..In 3rd year now...I had some craic in Kilmurray..The highlight probably being the massive waterfight with about 200 people or bonfire on exam week...worst thing about it is that community service craic..had to do a bit of that/...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

cson wrote: »
    No need for that. You can take your grammar nazism elsewhere.

But it is alright to single out a specific person using real names and call them a prick?

Ever think that somebody could take offence to your phrase above, or "polski" reference below?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If anyone has a problem with any post, the solution is to report it. Moderators may also take action where deemed necessary whether or not a post has been reported. Conversely they may deem action unnecessary on a reported post. Insults or abuse directed at another forum member are always actionable and will generally result in at least a formal issued warning.

Either way, this thread is for information about accommodation for those seeking it, including the provision of experiences from those who have already been residents of on-campus or off-campus accommodation. Experiences and views are the very point of the thread - without them the thread is pointless. I'd rather members didn't refer to anyone merely as a "prick" or otherwise as it's far more useful to provide reasonable information on difficulties encountered, where such difficulties existed.

Equally, correcting someone's spelling where the information provided is easily discernible despite a single spelling error adds nothing to the thread or, generally, any other thread. The thread, again, is for information about accommodation for those seeking it, including the provision of experiences from those who have already been residents of on-campus or off-campus accommodation.

People have given their views. That's dandy. Leave it there. This isn't a playground. Reasonable mutual respect required.

/mod

I would really need advice on where is best to live around U.l for 2 soon to be first year U.l students as it will be our first time moving out ever!! and we haven't a clue where to live or what the whole moving out process goes money wise and that.

There is other threads on accomodation..
    but anyway,
    I'm sure you have missed out on campus accomodation by now. They would be the best places for 1st years.... College Court is near the kemmy business school.... Troy, Groody and courtyard are far away but accomodation is in good nick plus bins etc paid for when you pay rent. Not like other accomodation where sometimes you would have to organise internet and NTL etc.. probably best for 1st year bar campus. But don't live in Troy....

Oh no see we would like to rent off campus anyways but whats troy and am whats so bad about it?

• Advertisement

Seriously; read the accommodation thread from 1st page to the last. If you still have questions then post threads like this. A generic '2 students looking to rent a house help' thread doesn't help matters.

Advertisement