Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Hey Michael,

Firstly, Im an Aero myself :)

After looking at your list of requirements, I think Kilmurry would definitely be the better option.

With the partying, it can be hit and miss, it really depends on your housemates and where your house is on the village. I lived right next to reception, so partying at my house was out of the question. If the party gets out of hand, security almost always comes and kicks people out.

Security is adequate, and very tight during RAG charity week. They are just a phonecall away too if required urgently.

In first year engineering, your lectures are all over the campus. I didnt have a single lecture in the Lonsdale building, which is the main engineering building. However, Kilmurry is very close to the college itself, just a two minute stroll away, great for 9am starts. :D

Bus stops, there is one at plassey, just at the evtrance in to the university that the bus into the city stops at. The closest one to Kilmurry is the main university bus stop which is very cose to kilmurry.

Each 8 bed house in Kilmurry has 4 double beds, so its 50/50 whether or not you get one. Not sure about the beds.

The bathroom is the same in each village, a toilet, shower and wash hand basin, but each bedroom has a wash hand basin too.

Security is the same in each village, both are operated by the company that do the security for the rest of the University.

I know you say you arent a partier, but you are still young. Youll have a great time in either village regardless. Most people assume that its just party party party 24/7 but the reality is its just week1, rag week and the few days after exams that its pretty bad, the rest of the time its quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Delta Kilo wrote:

Each 8 bed house in Kilmurry has 4 double beds, so its 50/50 whether or not you get one. Not sure about the beds.
    unless ya live in 38, we only had 2 for an 8 bed:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stillwater11

Hi lads,first time user here

Was wondering does anyone know of accomadation thats available around college court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Is it all booked out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

I highly doubt it is. If you are a first year I think they guarantee you a place, Im not sure though. Just ring the accommodation office to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

Kilmurry and Dromroe are fully booked I think!

Just go onto the accommodation page on the ul website, says everything there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Hi lads,first time user here

Was wondering does anyone know of accomadation thats available around college court?

I know of a free room. PM me for further details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cliodhna.

Hey i joined up especially to ask this! :confused: I'm going into first year (hopefully) in September, I've been trying to book accommodation in Plassey village. I put UL on my CAO about a month ago when the change of mind thing opened... but i still cant register for accommodation. Its say UL dont have my correct details. At first when I rang the acc. office i was told it takes a few days for my details to get to them... kept trying after a week rang again and was told same thing, after about 3 weeks of no joy i was told ring CAO i did,,, they told me get on to admissions,,, who put me back on to accommodation... Who THEN after about 6 phonecalls told me "oh sorry love, the change of minds come through mid june".... SO frustrating! does anyone else have this problem! Im afraid by the time i can book a place Plassey will be booked out!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cheddar

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are both starting post-graduate courses in UL in September. Neither of us have much of a clue about Limerick or UL and are in the dark about the best place to live. Where would you recommend to rent a double room in a private (non campus) house not too far from the uni? Just areas or housing estates would be great so we can start our search.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Cliodhna. wrote: »
    Hey i joined up especially to ask this! :confused: I'm going into first year (hopefully) in September, I've been trying to book accommodation in Plassey village. I put UL on my CAO about a month ago when the change of mind thing opened... but i still cant register for accommodation. Its say UL dont have my correct details. At first when I rang the acc. office i was told it takes a few days for my details to get to them... kept trying after a week rang again and was told same thing, after about 3 weeks of no joy i was told ring CAO i did,,, they told me get on to admissions,,, who put me back on to accommodation... Who THEN after about 6 phonecalls told me "oh sorry love, the change of minds come through mid june".... SO frustrating! does anyone else have this problem! Im afraid by the time i can book a place Plassey will be booked out!!:(

....so screw Plassey....come Kilmurray instead:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cliodhna.

Killmurray is full... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Cliodhna. wrote: »
    Killmurray is full... :(

shít buzz!:( Ah theres surely ppl that wont get the points tho so if yer names on the waitin list theres a chance you'll get in?

Booked my Kilmurry apt the day they started taking bookings....prayin for an 8 bed:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Edmundomee

Anybody stay there??? Just wondering what its like? Strict or easy going and are ya actually likely to get ur deposit back??? Thinking bout staying there but if its too strict partywise the idea is out... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Edmundomee wrote: »
    Anybody stay there??? Just wondering what its like? Strict or easy going and are ya actually likely to get ur deposit back??? Thinking bout staying there but if its too strict partywise the idea is out... haha

Have a read back through the thread. Stay there under no circumstances would be my advice. You will lose your hefty deposit (which the current residents may not get back anyway) for any small damage done in the house. Fines for noise aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 foxpoint1

who is going staying there?I am..whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

foxpoint1 wrote: »

It'll be 80% 1st years, 10% US exchange students and 10% others. For what it's like; nothing spectacular - typical student accommodation that's about a 15 min walk to the UL campus. Spar, BOI and Chinese nest door to you.

Read back through the thread for more details and most of all; enjoy that 1st year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

foxpoint1 wrote: »

Accommodation wise it's pretty standard but it's by far the best place to go in first year. Great place to meet other first years. I stayed there last year and if I was starting all over again i'd have to be plassey for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

Hey guys how much would youse averagely spend each week on food, nights out etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 katie007

Hello...

So im an incoming first year and applied for accomadation yesterday and i was shocked to discover that all the villages are fully booked except for thomand!
    After reading this thread i really want to stay in plassey or kilmurry as thats where the majority of the first years stay. Im thinking it's going to be alot harder to make friends if i don't get into them cause im going on my own and won't know anyone!

help what to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I'm not sure if more places will open up in Kilmurray or Plassey but if you do go for Thomand I'm pretty sure they'll put ya in with other first years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 annieway

New to the boards.
    Just have a quick question on housing. I’m a 25-year-old American post-grad student looking at off-campus accommodation. At this point I’ve pretty much come down to choosing between Courtyard and Groody. Price and facilities seem to be pretty even from the quotes I have gotten. I’ve read through the past posts on each of them and it seems like there’s good and bad about both. My question is: for a mid20s post-grad is one of these places superior to the other? Any help would be much appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

annieway wrote: »
    New to the boards.
    Just have a quick question on housing. I’m a 25-year-old American post-grad student looking at off-campus accommodation. At this point I’ve pretty much come down to choosing between Courtyard and Groody. Price and facilities seem to be pretty even from the quotes I have gotten. I’ve read through the past posts on each of them and it seems like there’s good and bad about both. My question is: for a mid20s post-grad is one of these places superior to the other? Any help would be much appreciate.

They are pretty even I'd say, and they are located very close by each other also.

I know of postgrads living in Courtyard, and they really enjoy it there.

I've rarely been to Groody, but I've spent quite a bit of time having craic in Courtyard, I'd be recommending there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Courtyard would be nicer to be honest; nicer houses and a nicer crowd than Groody [for a post grad; the crowd in Groody is pretty insane party wise I found].

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marshmallowie

cheddar wrote: »
    Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are both starting post-graduate courses in UL in September. Neither of us have much of a clue about Limerick or UL and are in the dark about the best place to live. Where would you recommend to rent a double room in a private (non campus) house not too far from the uni? Just areas or housing estates would be great so we can start our search.

Thanks
    hey, best option for ye, is to use daft.ie, I found it great, just found a house on it yesterday!!! just look for accomodation under Castletroy and ye should be surely able to find something! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

i me and one of my friends are becoming (hopefully) U.L first years next year! we are both female and hoping for other first years to come join us in a house off campus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

i me and one of my friends are becoming (hopefully) U.L first years next year! we are both female and hoping for other first years to come join us in a house off campus!

would you only be looking for other females then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

well not really, anyone can join us haha.Well when we actually sort a house out any1 can

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

I am a mature student returning to college (UL). I am looking for good cheap accommodation. I will be spending 3/4 nights there.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lily92

I was hopen on goin to cork.. but dnt think ill get the points and my second choice is Limerick.
    I have no accomodation booked for UL.
    Would it be smart to do it now and hope i get sumwer with 1st years or just wait until the results cum out and den book?...

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

hi you have a few options

oncampus villages they will refund around 200 euro out of 250 if you decide not to take a place. the standard of accommodation is very good since your in first year i'ed go for eather plassey or kilmurry here's a link to the companys website http://www.ul.ie/campuslife/firstyearapplicants.htm

Brookfield : generally has rooms at the start of the semester for 89euro a week it's a good 15 to 20 min walk from campus though there is a bus that runs at various times during the day here's a link to there website http://www.brookfieldhall.com/

you could wate till you get your cao offer and get a private house on daft.ie

Advertisement