Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Rudimentary is a word you'd use to describe it. However, it's the people, and not the place, that make the experience! Great craic by all accounts. It's cheap too, and right at the main entrance. Bus-stop right outside your door, Spar a minute away. The Lodge is only up the road (if you ever fall victim to it's clammy, smelly grip!).

Plenty of positives to it. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

in short... nah!! its terrible!! some of the s***e iv seen goin on in there like! but yeah it depends on what you want and/or used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

if it's your first year, then Plassey is the way to go!

it's mostly first years in plassey so it's always a good laugh!
    if you don't like plassey they can move you! but if you go off campus you're stuck with what you get.

I've heard good and bad things from plassey! No one can really tell you if you're going to like it or not!

Also you could be moved to drumroe/cappavilla/thomond if there is a space available.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's not as comfy as the Apartment Villages but hey; you're a firstie; what d'ya need comfort for... Go out and enjoy yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 clesherz

cson wrote: »
    It's not as comfy as the Apartment Villages but hey; you're a firstie; what d'ya need comfort for... Go out and enjoy yourself.

I hate to be spoilt and picky but I really would prefer to be an apartment village.
    Is it likely that I will be able to live in another village come September? I mean Iv heard that theres usually loads of space after results come out. Id love to be closer to the new music building and to be perfectly honest Id MUCH prefer to have an ensuite room..not a fan of sharing bathrooms. Maybe I just prefer a bit of space is all.
    Also are they mixed or is the accommodation uni-sex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

clesherz wrote: »
    I hate to be spoilt and picky but I really would prefer to be an apartment village.
    Is it likely that I will be able to live in another village come September? I mean Iv heard that theres usually loads of space after results come out. Id love to be closer to the new music building and to be perfectly honest Id MUCH prefer to have an ensuite room..not a fan of sharing bathrooms. Maybe I just prefer a bit of space is all.
    They are uni-sex. At least I have never heard of single sex apartments there.
    Have you rang the villages. My friend got a place in them a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi Clesherz,

Its highly doubtful that you will get any of the student apartments (Cappavilla, Thomond or Dromroe). Lived in Cappa last year and this years rooms were booked out by the middle of March. They are very expensive too and to be honest I don't think they are worth the price.

That said obviously some people will not get their points and places will become available but there is a long waiting list and you probably won't get anything, but no harm in trying.

Try Collegecribs.ie and see what you get there. Troy village seems alright and about a 15minute walk to the campus along with Groody village. You would probably get a house in elm park or oaklawns but the insulation is not the best so have a warm blanket for the winter and don't get stuck with the downstairs bedroom! Hope this helps but get try and book something that your happy with asap as its manic after the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Hello there,

Myself and two friends are looking for possibly two or three more people, who are still sans accommodation, to live with. We don't actually have a house yet, but we have a few offers from decent houses in College Court and Elm Park if only we can get a few more on board. We're all second years. PM if interested!

Cheers

clesherz wrote: »

It's entirely possible; but the sooner you contact Campus Life Services about it the better chance you have of being 'relocated'.

The bathroom thing didn't bother me in 1st year but then again I'd probably want it now having lived with one for the past 2 years. I'd imagine its more of an issue if you're a girl. Bear in mind you still get a sink/mirror in your room though all the same.

Cappavilla is closest to the new music building by a street [2min walk] so I'd reccommend there. You might have a chance of a place too cos one of my mates got one lately afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Hello there,

Myself and two friends are looking for possibly two or three more people, who are still sans accommodation, to live with. We don't actually have a house yet, but we have a few offers from decent houses in College Court and Elm Park if only we can get a few more on board. We're all second years. PM if interested!

Cheers

Quick update: We have now secured a five bedroomed house in Elm Park, €60 a week, two rooms left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

Hi me and one of my friends are looking for a room pm me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elaine2288

Hi! I'm doing a postgrad in UL this year and I still have not got accommodation... I will have to do a far bit of study this year but am still up for the craic so could someone please recommend some accommodation that is kind of in the middle of these two! I also have not decieded whether to get accommodation on campus or off campus so if someone could also recommend a few options I would be very grateful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

elaine2288 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm doing a postgrad in UL this year and I still have not got accommodation... I will have to do a far bit of study this year but am still up for the craic so could someone please recommend some accommodation that is kind of in the middle of these two! I also have not decieded whether to get accommodation on campus or off campus so if someone could also recommend a few options I would be very grateful!!

On Campus - Drumroe, Thomond or Cappavilla would be fine. They are expensive though.

Cheaper off campus alternatives are Oaklawns or Brierfield.

All these places have their fun, but generally avoid all out mayhem. You will have craic in any place that has a majority of student tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

any campus accom left does anyone know?
    i'm a disaster :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10rooney10

any campus accom left does anyone know?
    i'm a disaster :p

well... think places might still be available in plassey village.. :/ ?? !
    anyway not everybody who have booked accommodation will get the points for their courses so places on campus might be freed up?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

<mod edit: I've removed this info as there's scaremongering in it. It's true that an administrator has been appointed to the parent company/former management company of Troy student village (that was a few months ago) but the facility as it is appears to be trading as a going concern for next year - correct information is posted by ninty9er below>

(pro-tip - when notifying mods that a post with incorrect information would be best removed, don't quote the bleeding post when you reply on the thread:))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have requested a mod to remove this post as it's factually inaccurate. Bookings with Troy will be honoured by the new management company. It is to be appointed next week by the administrator appointed this week. If anything changes I will post here, but I would request people to refrain from posting unless they have the facts as opposed to newspaper artices to rely on.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I have requested a mod to remove this post as it's factually inaccurate. Bookins with Troy will be honoured by the new management company. It is to be appointed next week by the administrator appointed this week. If anything changes I will post here, but I would request people to refrain from posting unless they have the facts as opposed to newspaper artices to rely on.

Apologies for upsetting anyone, but at this moment in time if you ring up the available contacts you will not get a definitive answer on when Troy Student Village will be taking new bookings hence my post (which I admit was over the top with scaremongering). My post was not referring to existing tennants. If there is other available information about new bookings well that is the administrator's fault for not making it widely available to the interested students via the website etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hey! I looked through quite a few pages of this thread, but only found 1 real good review of Kilmurry! Incoming first year of 2011 (I know its early, but I'm trying to get prepared now, instead of during 6th year, 'cos I want to be ready for when applying in March? :P)

But anyway for an incoming first year with no-one else going to attend the uni, which is recommended more, Plassey or Kilmurry? I wouldn't mind the odd party, but 7 days a week would be a bit much. I'd also rather to not be stuck with all male's, a mix of both would be better for making friends! :D So.... Idea's people?!

Feel free to PM me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hey! I looked through quite a few pages of this thread, but only found 1 real good review of Kilmurry! Incoming first year of 2011 (I know its early, but I'm trying to get prepared now, instead of during 6th year, 'cos I want to be ready for when applying in March? :P)

But anyway for an incoming first year with no-one else going to attend the uni, which is recommended more, Plassey or Kilmurry? I wouldn't mind the odd party, but 7 days a week would be a bit much. I'd also rather to not be stuck with all male's, a mix of both would be better for making friends! :D So.... Idea's people?!

Feel free to PM me. :D

Its tough to say as every year is different, every house is different etc. Last year Kilmurry definitely had the reputation of party central. But thats not to say this year will be the same and its certainly not to say every house was that way last season.

As for a mixed house, the accommodation do try to mix houses so i wouldn;t worry too much. I lived in Plassey in a mixed hour of 5 guys and 3 girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Its tough to say as every year is different, every house is different etc. Last year Kilmurry definitely had the reputation of party central. But thats not to say this year will be the same and its certainly not to say every house was that way last season.

As for a mixed house, the accommodation do try to mix houses so i wouldn;t worry too much. I lived in Plassey in a mixed hour of 5 guys and 3 girls.

Thanks! :)
    Yeah reading back over this I got the impression Kilmurrey was quieter than Plassey but I suppose it does change every year! Which one's better in terms of the accommodation though? :)

Yeah reading back over this I got the impression Kilmurrey was quieter than Plassey but I suppose it does change every year! Which one's better in terms of the accommodation though? :)

You stay in Kilmurry and Plassey for the fun atmosphere, not the quality of the accommodation. There both as good/bad as each other really in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Plassey tends to have a negative connotation attached to it. But you have everything you need really. Having visited other student accomodation in other colleges, i can definitely tell you Plassey is better than most, while being quite a bit cheaper. UCC's castlewhite for instance, only get 4 TV channels - Thats not on :D ... With that said, Kilmurrys kitchen would give it the edge of Plassey for me, even better if you get one of the double beds.

Kilmurry is closer to UL for the most part. Wins hands down imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

What is the internet like in the new places like Cappavilla? Is it wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bear in mind that half of Plassey has had a refurb over the summer in terms of standard of finish.

No wireless in any of the villages which is annoying when you're used to it. I used to be able to pull off the Village Hall in Kilmurry when I was there but my room was right next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone got it yet? I haven't, should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I got a text saying to expect a text today. :P

Still got no text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

I got 2 of the same one :D Theyve offered me accomodation!

Advertisement