Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

pe-cze wrote: »
    Set it up and we can all use it :P

nooo i put a password on it do just u cant use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Hey :)
    Ah, hopefully I'll be going to UL next year.
    And I know it's early but I just wanna get the whole accomodation side of things out of the way tbh :o

More than likely it'll be the Health sciences building which I'll be going to.
    No way will I be able to afford Cappavilla though so that's out :P
    And I wanna be put in a house with first years to make new friends and stuff.
    Also don't mind the party aspect either.
    Seems Plassey and Kilmurry are the ones coming up repeatedly in the thread.

Any suggestions?
    Are Plassey/Kilmurry villages far from the health sciences building? Like very? :o

Thanks in advance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Well, as you probably already know, Cappavilla, Thomond and Drumroe would be the closest to Health Science building but there all around the same money. So after that Kilmurray and Plassey are next in line. These two are much cheaper. Kilmurry is beside the UL Arena if you've ever been there, while Plassey is beside the UL main entrance (two big poles). A lot of first years stay in these two villages so you wouldn't feel out of place. It would be a 10-15 min walk from Plassey to the Health Science building as it is across the living bridge. Kilmurry would be the shorter distance but not by much. Kilmurry would have the strictest security (incase you want to know) but again Plassey would nearly be as strict. There is obviously other accommodation but you are just getting further away so if you like to be close and/or don't have a car its probably best to stick with on campus accommodation (unless you want to stay in college court estate which is actually closer than Plassey but thats a tough thing to do for incoming first years who don't know a lot of people and don't know the area that well).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

TheTownie wrote: »
    Well, as you probably already know, Cappavilla, Thomond and Drumroe would be the closest to Health Science building but there all around the same money. So after that Kilmurray and Plassey are next in line. These two are much cheaper. Kilmurry is beside the UL Arena if you've ever been there, while Plassey is beside the UL main entrance (two big poles). A lot of first years stay in these two villages so you wouldn't feel out of place. It would be a 10-15 min walk from Plassey to the Health Science building as it is across the living bridge. Kilmurry would be the shorter distance but not by much. Kilmurry would have the strictest security (incase you want to know) but again Plassey would nearly be as strict. There is obviously other accommodation but you are just getting further away so if you like to be close and/or don't have a car its probably best to stick with on campus accommodation (unless you want to stay in college court estate which is actually closer than Plassey but thats a tough thing to do for incoming first years who don't know a lot of people and don't know the area that well).

Ya'd hardly make it to the Health Sciences from plassey in 15mins? Im in kilmurry and itd takeme at least 15....maybe im just slow:pac:
    And yeah, the security in kilmurry is strict enough...any visitors haveto either walk across theback pitch or around te outside of the runnin track and hop in that way...it's do-able tho, easier to get into kilmurry than plassey whilst avoidin the men in the yellow jackets:D

maybe im just slow:pac:

I know plenty of slow people who can walk fast! :D:p lol

Nah seriously, it wouldn't be a 15 min stroll thats for sure. Personally I have walked from Groody to UL in 15 mins! which would be a longer walk. Although that was a once off! Don't think I would be capable of it again! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

And I know it's early but I just wanna get the whole accomodation side of things out of the way tbh :o

Any suggestions?
    Are Plassey/Kilmurry villages far from the health sciences building? Like very? :o

Soccy, all of your lectures classes etc wont be in that building, you'll be quite surprised! Go for Plassey or Kilmurry.....Thomond is slightly more modern but is ages away from everywhere. If it were me I'd go for somewhere off campus...

I know plenty of slow people who can walk fast! :D:p lol

Nah seriously, it wouldn't be a 15 min stroll thats for sure. Personally I have walked from Groody to UL in 15 mins! which would be a longer walk. Although that was a once off! Don't think I would be capable of it again! :pac:

im in groody and its about 20 minutes to the the main block walking fairly fast. :pac::pac: il have my bike with me next week:D:D and i can listen everyone calling me a bicycle w@nker:rolleyes::rolleyes:

garv123 wrote: »
    im in groody and its about 20 minutes to the the main block walking fairly fast. :pac::pac: il have my bike with me next week:D:D and i can listen everyone calling me a bicycle w@nker:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ya I know 20min is even a push for me most days but one day I was in such a rush I walked like I have never walked before and did it in 15 min. As I've already said it won't happen again!

Ya I know 20min is even a push for me most days but one day I was in such a rush I walked like I have never walked before and did it in 15 min. As I've already said it won't happen again!

Definitely would've skipped that lecture if it was me:p

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Anyone know of anywhere that has 1-bed apartments??

• Advertisement

danlen wrote: »
    Anyone know of anywhere that has 1-bed apartments??

Dont ya want a housemate to wake ya up the morning after? People make persistant alarms if ya aks them nicely the night before:P

Brookfield has two beds anywy, they may have singles too...check out their website

http://www.brookfieldhall.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Dont ya want a housemate to wake ya up the morning after? People make persistant alarms if ya aks them nicely the night before:P

Brookfield has two beds anywy, they may have singles too...check out their website

http://www.brookfieldhall.com/

I am also looking for a one bed - or at least an ensuite room, so am interested in Brookfield. I wonder would they allow me to rent for just a single semester though?

Is Brookfield far from campus walking - I know there is a shuttle bus but I would rather walk if possible - would it more than 2km away?

I am also looking for a one bed - or at least an ensuite room, so am interested in Brookfield. I wonder would they allow me to rent for just a single semester though?

Is Brookfield far from campus walking - I know there is a shuttle bus but I would rather walk if possible - would it more than 2km away?

ah id say half hour walk to the main buildings in UL

im in groody and im 20 minute walk..

double bed ensuites in all rooms there if thats what ye're looking for:p

bring a bicycle with u if u dont drive is wicked handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Any suggestions?

Fancy seeing you here! =D

I'd go for Drumroe, over the living bridge and you're there! At a push Kilmurray which would be a bit further, but cheaper. Definately not Plassey though. That's a horrible ole walk in the mornings and it's kinda icky! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Personally a fan of the Plassey walk. At least it's mostly covered by trees so you don't get as wet on the way into college :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Fancy seeing you here! =D

I'd go for Drumroe, over the living bridge and you're there! At a push Kilmurray which would be a bit further, but cheaper. Definately not Plassey though. That's a horrible ole walk in the mornings and it's kinda icky! :(

In terms of comfort I'd go with Kilmurry but I've heard Plassey has had a refit of some the houses. Hope they got rid of the horrible pub-style couch thing they had going on.

In terms of Location; **** all between them. Plassey has the added advantage of being next door to a pretty savage Spar as well as a BOI branch/butchers/chinese. Kilmurry is right next to the Arena and I'd imagine both are a similar length of walk in. Both equidistant from the Library imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Liam.Carroll00

Hi, the price for on-campus accomodation in UL, with all service charges payed, an ensuite bathroom and double bed, is 4500. Off-campus the same facilities cost 3700 in the likes of Brookfield hall, or Groody student village. I will be starting a course in UL in september 2011, as will my friends, we all drive, where would u recomend staying for the year?

The link below is a more suitable place to post this question;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=299781&page=50

Hi, the price for on-campus accomodation in UL, with all service charges payed, an ensuite bathroom and double bed, is 4500. Off-campus the same facilities cost 3700 in the likes of Brookfield hall, or Groody student village. I will be starting a course in UL in september 2011, as will my friends, we all drive, where would u recomend staying for the year?

Well as you will become part of the envious group of students who own cars, you can consider off campus as good an option as any.

Off Campus:
    Groody Student Park - Live here myself, great accomodation imo. Price vs. quality of accommodation is very good. 3 and 6 bedroom apartments. 3 bedroom apartments are all non-ensuite. €3500 for non-ensuite, thats what I'm paying.

Courtyard Student Village - Located inside the estate behind Groody. Its solid accomodation but prefer Groody for its security. 2, 4 and 5 bedroom apartments.

Brookfield - Furthest accommodation from the college but when you have a car that not such a big issue. 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments, very nice, cheaper than 3 of the On Campus Acc (Drumroe, Cappavilla, Thomond). Just checked the site, Brookfield Hall is €3792 exculding deposit for the year.

On Campus:
    Drumroe, Cappavilla, Thomond are €4500
    Plassey, Kilmurry are €3500

Keep in mind there is plenty of traffic to deal with in the mornings when trying to get to UL. If you leave too late it could take up to 30mins to get to UL (includes finding a car parking space).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Get a bike and cycle over, tis all the rage nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sm124

avoid Troy student village at all costs, the rooms and the house are lovely no doubt about that, but they will try and con you out of every cent of your deposit. not worth it for a flat screen tv and a double bed!!

Well as you will become part of the envious group of students who own cars, you can consider off campus as good an option as any.

Off Campus:
    Groody Student Park - Live here myself, great accomodation imo. Price vs. quality of accommodation is very good. 3 and 6 bedroom apartments. 3 bedroom apartments are all non-ensuite. €3500 for non-ensuite, thats what I'm paying.

Courtyard Student Village - Located inside the estate behind Groody. Its solid accomodation but prefer Groody for its security. 2, 4 and 5 bedroom apartments.

Brookfield - Furthest accommodation from the college but when you have a car that not such a big issue. 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments, very nice, cheaper than 3 of the On Campus Acc (Drumroe, Cappavilla, Thomond). Just checked the site, Brookfield Hall is €3792 exculding deposit for the year.

On Campus:

Keep in mind there is plenty of traffic to deal with in the mornings when trying to get to UL. If you leave too late it could take up to 30mins to get to UL (includes finding a car parking space).

driving into college is the biggest waste of time ever. i live in groody and im at the road side by the roundabout and when i get up at half 8 and look out the window the traffic is down past the roundabout. both lanes. plus theres fcuk all parking in the college and we found driving in ended up in us coming home again because we couldnt get any parking. get a bike is the only option. living in brookfield is grand because theres a free shuttle bus in and out every 20 minutes or sumthing like that.

groody is prob the best of what ive seen up there so far. far better than any campus acom ive seen. 3 and 2 seater leather couches are wicked cumfy and you get double bed ensuite rooms. the only fault is you could do with a big freezer when theres 6 people living there in the 6 bed apartments. we've only 3 living in a 6bed a(soon to be 2) and the freezer is always packed out.
    but yeah chilling on the leather couches is very cumfy :D

basically if you go for groody bring a bike and dont drive unless your willing to leave at 8

driving into college is the biggest waste of time ever. i live in groody and im at the road side by the roundabout and when i get up at half 8 and look out the window the traffic is down past the roundabout. both lanes. plus theres fcuk all parking in the college and we found driving in ended up in us coming home again because we couldnt get any parking. get a bike is the only option. living in brookfield is grand because theres a free shuttle bus in and out every 20 minutes or sumthing like that.

groody is prob the best of what ive seen up there so far. far better than any campus acom ive seen. 3 and 2 seater leather couches are wicked cumfy and you get double bed ensuite rooms. the only fault is you could do with a big freezer when theres 6 people living there in the 6 bed apartments. we've only 3 living in a 6bed a(soon to be 2) and the freezer is always packed out.
    but yeah chilling on the leather couches is very cumfy :D

basically if you go for groody bring a bike and dont drive unless your willing to leave at 8

A bit confusing... Your posts reads like your disagreeing with me yet I acknowledged the traffic problem myself above so you are actually concurring with what I said...

A bit confusing... Your posts reads like your disagreeing with me yet I acknowledged the traffic problem myself above so you are actually concurring with what I said...

did you edit the traffic bit in shortly after while i was replying maybe? because i completely missed it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: apologies

did you edit the traffic bit in shortly after while i was replying maybe? because i completely missed it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: apologies

I think I edited a few typos... no worries anyway, just clearing any confusions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cappavilla/Thomond/Dromroe > Groody imo.

Only thing I'd take out of Groody are the Leather Couches and Sky Sports 1 off the TV. The rooms are absolutely shite compared to say Cappavilla.

That being said; Campus Life Services would do well to revise their pricing structure. Think it was around €2,600 [Sem1] and €1,500 [Sem2] for Cappavilla this year. Not too bad considering its an all in deal [Broadband/Electricity/Gas/Bins] but it could still come down a little more. €4k would be bang on imo.

cson wrote: »
    Cappavilla/Thomond/Dromroe > Groody imo.

Only thing I'd take out of Groody are the Leather Couches and Sky Sports 1 off the TV. The rooms are absolutely shite compared to say Cappavilla.

That being said; Campus Life Services would do well to revise their pricing structure. Think it was around €2,600 [Sem1] and €1,500 [Sem2] for Cappavilla this year. Not too bad considering its an all in deal [Broadband/Electricity/Gas/Bins] but it could still come down a little more. €4k would be bang on imo.

Please do elaborate on that... The rooms in Groody are spacious, have a double bed and when the door is closed, blocks out an awful lot of noise. What else is there??

Also, I think the kitchen/living room in Cappavilla is ****e compared to Groody.

Please do elaborate on that... The rooms in Groody are spacious, have a double bed and when the door is closed, blocks out an awful lot of noise. What else is there??

Also, I think the kitchen/living room in Cappavilla is ****e compared to Groody.

+1
    not many places do you get a double bed and ensuite.
    yes the living area is much bigger too.

• Advertisement

Off Campus:

On Campus:

Is that 3792 and 3500 inclusive of electricity/refuse etc? How much is Troy and would that be inclusive also? And could you maybe give some pros and cons of each? eg distance, size, security, craic.... thanks for your help.

Advertisement