Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

I'm in Thomond and I really like it. It's a bummer it hasn't a village shop but it isn't a big deal as Drumroe's just over the bridge.

Security are both a blessing and a curse - it's great not to have to be worried if you're walking home alone after dark (and you really aren't, there's a really safe vibe and I'm fussy about things like that), but then again they are pretty strict on parties (though we managed to host a mad one that didn't get detected - how, I just don't know!)

Like what I've heard about Cappa, the showers in Thomond are great! They're power showers, really hot. The beds are the comfiest ever - I couldn't believe it when I moved in. They're queen size.

The kitchen is basic enough, the couches are made of plastic and are basically made to be uncomfortable to sleep in. It seems a kind of uninvited guest deterrant. Again, a blessing and a curse because they do wipe clean after a party and all it's associated drink spillages (!!!)

Have to agree with you MiamiMortimer.I live in Thomond too (99) and I think it's great !
    Security aren't too bad if you're bringing someone home though. As long as you tell them you're 'from the village' they don't ask any questions wink.gif

We've already had 2 meetings with the village manager about 'excessive noise' One night security called up 5 times (cue multiple rushes for the bedrooms and boiler cabinet) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

BK92 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you MiamiMortimer.I live in Thomond too (99) and I think it's great !
    Security aren't too bad if you're bringing someone home though. As long as you tell them you're 'from the village' they don't ask any questions wink.gif

We've already had 2 meetings with the village manager about 'excessive noise' One night security called up 5 times (cue multiple rushes for the bedrooms and boiler cabinet) :rolleyes:

Haha, the rushes for hiding places are becoming one of my favourite things to do in Thomond!!! Means you're having a good time if security feel the need to butt in ;)

Sounds like you've been lucky with security, though, BK92! They're usually pretty strict whenever I've seen them, though its mostly towards the lads. They check key cards, names, student ids...the whole business. Girls get off lightly for some reason...handy :)

One guy who wasn't meant to be in our apartment one evening went into the shower and turned it on, with the reasoning that security wouldn't check the shower...it did work, I suppose! Under the desks are also good spots for hiding.

On the subject of the desks and this being an accommodation discussion board, they're humungous. Really, really handy desks for storage and for studying - they also have desk lights. I've seen Dromroe desks and I don't think they're quite as large as the ones in Thomond. Ditto the wardrobes...where I also found people hiding one time I forgot to lock my room and when security burst in unexpectedly... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Means you're having a good time if security feel the need to butt in wink.gif

You're right there - the apartment hasn't yet had an alcohol-free night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

Hey, I am hoping to go to UL nxt year but im not sure where to live.... Maybe Plassey Village would be good but i have heard that plassey is a bit run down and full of foreigners (not that i have a problem with them but id hate to be the only irish person in my house or something like that) ..... does anyone know if these are true or any other good accomadation for first years??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mm5

My cousin stayed there last year and he said it was the biggest laugh ever.. and all his house mates were Irish. :P its meant to be really good for first years, thinking of going there myself next year actually :) the only bad thing is that there are only 2 bathrooms between 8 people.. eeeeek :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Definately go to Plassey. They house all the foreigners together so you won't be living with any foreigners as far as I know. I'm living there this year, unbeleivable craic and have become best friends with all my housemates. Security are a bit annoying but in fairness there sound and ya can get along with them, same can be said about Rebecca, the village manager, she can be a bit strict but she's an absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Next September all the houses will be renovated! :) But sure go for it, tis an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

Troy or Groody? Anyone know any differences between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

tazbars wrote: »

Not many students in Troy at the moment. Mainly due to the fact they didn't start taking new bookings until the 1st week of college.

Groody wouldn't be full to capacity either but certainly is housing a lot more students at this time.

I'm in Groody. They have 3 and 6 bedroom apartments. All rooms in the 3 bedroom apartment are non-ensuite. 3 of us share 1 bathroom, which works fine for us. My apartment has a leather couch and Sky Sports 1 (Basically gets you Super Sunday, MNF & Carling Cup. RTE & TV3 for Champs League). 6 bedroom apartments are a mixture of ensuite and non-ensuite. Paying around 3.5K for my non-ensuite. About €400 more for en-suite. Contact Groody for exact pricing.

Troy has 3 and 6 bedroom apartments too. Both are a mixture of ensuite and non-ensuite. Plans of the apartments are located here. Having been in a Troy apartment, they have leather couches and a plasma TV on the wall (Don't know what channels they get). I have been told, on multiple occasions, of structural problems inside the apartments. Not sure about pricing at the moment, you'll have to contact them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 new here

First of all, I’ve read through this entire thread several times over. And made countless notes, so thank you for this thread.

But I’ve got a slightly different request... I am hoping to be attending Uni of Limerick this year for a semester as an exchange student from Australia (as of September). I’ll be second year, turning 20 while I’m there.

As I won’t know a single person in the whole country let alone the University, I think I’ll need all the help I can get with meeting people. However, I won’t be able to keep up with a constant social life for a number of reasons.

I thought about Kilmurry/Plassey, because it seems to be the most social area. But it seems that it might be a little too social and also seems to be the place for first years, not second years.

Money isn’t an issue, nor is sharing bathrooms. So... what would you recommend to be the best place for me for on-campus accomodation? Should I stick with Kilmurry or head off somewhere else?

Also, which ones would be closest to important shops, bus stops and important other places? (I know which ones are closest to the heart of the campus, so don’t worry about that one.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

new here wrote: »
    First of all, I’ve read through this entire thread several times over. And made countless notes, so thank you for this thread.

But I’ve got a slightly different request... I am hoping to be attending Uni of Limerick this year for a semester as an exchange student from Australia (as of September). I’ll be second year, turning 20 while I’m there.

As I won’t know a single person in the whole country let alone the University, I think I’ll need all the help I can get with meeting people. However, I won’t be able to keep up with a constant social life for a number of reasons.

I thought about Kilmurry/Plassey, because it seems to be the most social area. But it seems that it might be a little too social and also seems to be the place for first years, not second years.

Money isn’t an issue, nor is sharing bathrooms. So... what would you recommend to be the best place for me for on-campus accomodation? Should I stick with Kilmurry or head off somewhere else?

Also, which ones would be closest to important shops, bus stops and important other places? (I know which ones are closest to the heart of the campus, so don’t worry about that one.)

Wouldn't go to Plassey since you're not a first year really. Don't know what you mean by important shops really, all within walking distance is the student centre shops really. You can get to other spars and an aldi with 20 mins walk I suppose. Buses go to the centre every 15mins though and you can get those from the centre for €2 or whatever.

If I were you, I'd go for Dromroe. Closest to centre of campus, not as mental as plassey but not as strict as thomond and capa I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

new here wrote: »

Main question I have for you is; are you here to study or are you here to have the craic? Don't tell me a bit of both, one or the other and I'll tell you the best place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does anyone know when bookings for on camous open for next year?

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when bookings for on camous open for next year?

Not until at least April. Give them a call around then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 new here

cson wrote: »
    Main question I have for you is; are you here to study or are you here to have the craic? Don't tell me a bit of both, one or the other and I'll tell you the best place to live.

I've been sitting on this for a few days and can't pick either. Like I said, I can't keep up with a constant social life for a number of reasons (health, being the main one) and considering I'll be doing 5 subjects about a foreign country in a foreign country, I'm not exactly able to neglect my studies, even if I wanted to. But, of course, I do want to have some fun.

To be honest, I want the place that will give me the best experience. Sorry I can't give a better answer!

And gloryutd, thanks for the answer. I heard that there are shops where it's better/cheaper to buy food from outside of the campus? Thanks for the bit about the buses, too. I didn't know that you could get them from the centre. :)

Im the same as you in that I want to enjoy myself as well as do well in my course. I decided to live in dreomroe and find it really suits me, yes its fairly quoet but theres always fun somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

tazbars wrote: »
    TheTownie wrote: »
    Not many students in Troy at the moment. Mainly due to the fact they didn't start taking new bookings until the 1st week of college.

Groody wouldn't be full to capacity either but certainly is housing a lot more students at this time.

I'm in Groody. They have 3 and 6 bedroom apartments. All rooms in the 3 bedroom apartment are non-ensuite. 3 of us share 1 bathroom, which works fine for us. My apartment has a leather couch and Sky Sports 1 (Basically gets you Super Sunday, MNF & Carling Cup. RTE & TV3 for Champs League). 6 bedroom apartments are a mixture of ensuite and non-ensuite. Paying around 3.5K for my non-ensuite. About €400 more for en-suite. Contact Groody for exact pricing.

Troy has 3 and 6 bedroom apartments too. Both are a mixture of ensuite and non-ensuite. Plans of the apartments are located here. Having been in a Troy apartment, they have leather couches and a plasma TV on the wall (Don't know what channels they get). I have been told, on multiple occasions, of structural problems inside the apartments. Not sure about pricing at the moment, you'll have to contact them too.

Two friends (one of whom I'll be living with this year) warned me off Troy, vehemently. Big problems with plumbing, electricity, structural issues as Townie mentions.

Disappointing that the Prices for on Campus Villages hasnt dropped, I was sure it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

Plassey village is the way to go id say..... Its ment to be great craic and its being renovated......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Two friends (one of whom I'll be living with this year) warned me off Troy, vehemently. Big problems with plumbing, electricity, structural issues as Townie mentions.

I'm living in Troy at the moment and haven't had any issues with electricity. Came back down last week to find that a pipe had burst in my bathroom over the Christmas break which means that my bedrooms timber floor is a bit warped now that it's dried out. :rolleyes: On the structural issue we had to move out of our first apartment there after the kitchen ceiling began to leak water from the balcony above it. New apartment is better although when I'm lying in bed I can hear everything outside as clear as if the window was wide open which can be a bit annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Fancy seeing you here! =D

I'd go for Drumroe, over the living bridge and you're there! At a push Kilmurray which would be a bit further, but cheaper. Definately not Plassey though. That's a horrible ole walk in the mornings and it's kinda icky! :(

I just saw this now :o it seems I'm gonna be going for plassey actually. Hope i'm not making a mistake now.. But sure there'll be other first years there too and hopefully I won't end up in some sorta shed for a house if I end up there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I just saw this now :o it seems I'm gonna be going for plassey actually. Hope i'm not making a mistake now.. But sure there'll be other first years there too and hopefully I won't end up in some sorta shed for a house if I end up there :P

its only 5 minute walk and there all gonna be done up by the time you go there so you'll be granddd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Disappointing that the Prices for on Campus Villages hasnt dropped, I was sure it would.
    garv123 wrote: »
    its only 5 minute walk and there all gonna be done up by the time you go there so you'll be granddd.

^What he said. Was over there on Friday at a friend's house and she's in one of the houses that's been refurbished, they look great now, on a par with anything you'd get in Brookfield and the like.

@ryanf1, I'm guessing that's part of the reason the prices stayed up, to cover refurbishing costs, and also since the standard of accom in Plassey (and I'm guessing Kilmurry is getting done up too?) will be higher come next term.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi Everyone,

A masters student and living in the city. My flatmate just lost his job and has said he can't afford the rent (no savings put away) and is giving his months notice.

I don't want to move out as its a nice place but is there anywhere in college I can post room vacancies.

Its a double room with en-suite available and near the buses. I drive if your stuck;) and in for 9am every morning with next semesters timetable. Its beside the big glass building in the city and henry street garda station with a view over all the city. It is on the 11th floor and has to be seen to be believed. Has 2 big leather couches and new kitchen with washer/drier and microwave if anyone is interested. I have a flat screen tv put in the sitting room also. Rent is €405 a month (that includes UPC and Broadband) plus electricity is anyone here is interested PM me.

Theres a place on the SU website were vacancies are posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

I am a first year at the moment but i am just wondering where are the most popular on and off campus villages for second year students???Also when would I have to apply for them??

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Is anyone else struggling with really slow internet in campus accommadation? I'm in dromroe and the speeds are in dial-up territory!

There is sometimes problems like that in student accommodations at the start of a semester. Usually sorted in a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

cson wrote: »
    Groody is simply insane. It really is party central for the whole month of September; the actual noise around the place from 6pm onwards is unbelievable. Major buzz about the place and always a party of some description on. It'll get killed off from time to time by Polski [Our friendly Polish security man] but overall it's a great place to party.

Is this the consensus about Groody Student Village, noisewise? I'd be looking fro somewhere quieter myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

pwd wrote: »
    Is this the consensus about Groody Student Village, noisewise? I'd be looking fro somewhere quieter myself..

nope i living here and haven't had an issue with noise yet

Advertisement