Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

decided not to risk it - got somewhere else. Some people say it's like beirut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

pwd wrote: »
    decided not to risk it - got somewhere else. Some people say it's like beirut
    someones filling your head with complete sh1te to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

garv123 wrote: »
    someones filling your head with complete sh1te to be honest
    lol Is it you?
    A couple of people I asked about it said it could be very noisy! Place I went to seems like a safer bet in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it worth sacrificing the realtive luxury of Dromroe to save money in Kilmurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Is it worth sacrificing the realtive luxury of Dromroe to save money in Kilmurry?

Easy answer to this; could you handle sharing a bathroom with 3 other people? If not then stay in Dromroe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

cson wrote: »
    Easy answer to this; could you handle sharing a bathroom with 3 other people? If not then stay in Dromroe.

Do you like cold showers?
    Do you like when your room is so draughty the blinds sway with the wind outside?
    Do you like crappy semi-functional appliances that work only when they feel like it?
    Do you like hearing anyone within 20 houses of you coming home drunk, talking loudly, and slamming doors?

If you answered no to any of the above, don't stay in Kilmurry....

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

Hi everyone, just wondering do any of ye know how much it is to stay in groody over the summer. I know troy is 30 a week but dont wanna have to move. And also I'm living there at the mo and never have a problem with noise

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭salmon1

story just quick question where ye would recommend a post grad student to live?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Caoimhe1993

I'm going to UL in September and need advice on where to live. Im currently in first year in NUI Galway but am starting again in Limerick next year so i'm basically by myself so in accomodation i need somewhere that would be good to meet other first years.. Any recommendations or comments on the places available ? (Im looking to stay on campus for first year) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Anybody have numbers of landlords renting houses (5 or 6 bedroom preferably) in College Court I'd be greatly appreciative. Please PM me with any relevant numbers and details on the house available. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

http://www.ulsu.ie/officers/welfare/accommodation

follow the link for 'listings available'.... this is last years list but it'll give you a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

Anyone who has numbers of landlords renting 5-6 bedroom house in college court please PM me their number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

http://www.ulsu.ie/officers/welfare/accommodation

follow the link for 'listings available'.... this is last years list but it'll give you a good idea!

Cheers when does this be updated for 2011/12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Should I be looking at getting on-campus accomodation now or is it too early yet? Still not sure where to stay...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Should I be looking at getting on-campus accomodation now or is it too early yet? Still not sure where to stay...

Definitely! Dromroe's already booked out since early February, don't know about anywhere else though...bound to be plenty of space, but if you want to choose where to stay I'd get booking if I were you...

And I recommend Thomond, stayed here this year and it was great!

Yeah, I've been thinking about Thomond. I'm kind of worried that perhaps Plassey would be a bit too crazy. I'm gonna be in a busy-enough course. Is there still any fun to be had in Thomond at all? What are the rooms like? Internet okay?

Yeah, I've been thinking about Thomond. I'm kind of worried that perhaps Plassey would be a bit too crazy. I'm gonna be in a busy-enough course. Is there still any fun to be had in Thomond at all? What are the rooms like? Internet okay?

The rooms are incredibly spacious, huge desk, double, extremely comfy bed, en suite, wardrobe, long shelf above the desk and space beneath it. Showers are power showers and are excellent.

Thomond, I found, struck the perfect balance - plenty of parties but security are very diligent so you don't get away with having a party for too long (and neither do your neighbours, so no major worries about being kept awake all night)! We're not meant to have visitors after 10pm unless we've signed them in at reception, so if you're having a party with a lot of people after that you get shut down pretty fast. I was very lucky, I got on with all my housemates and they like to have a good time! We hosted a number of parties last semester, all of which were great fun. There's a lot of craic to be had here, that's for definite.

It's also very safe walking around Thomond at any time of night - there's a great atmosphere and as I said, security are diligent. I often come home from a soc meeting late enough at night and I'm never concerned about walking back home.

Internet is great, but it isn't wireless. There's a good download speed. As far as I know, none of the student villages are wireless, though there is wireless internet on campus. You have to plug in your laptop to a plug under the desk (reception provided the wire). It's long enough to stretch over to the end of your bed, though, so it's possible to watch movies in bed that way!!!

Reception is very accessible and they provide you with bin bags, recycling bags, etc. There's a bottle bank and recycling bin. There are also bike sheds outside each block.

Keys are keycards, like in hotels. Your keycard opens the door to your block, then your apartment, then your room. The apartment doors lock automatically when they close, but you have to swipe your card in your bedroom door when you're leaving in order to lock it.

My experience here has been a good one, I'd highly recommend it. I presume you're an incoming first year? I'm nearly finished my first year myself :)

Yeah, incoming. Is it far from campus? I'll be doing Technology/Architecture+Ed so I believe I'll be at those sort of buildings a lot, don't know the names.

I'd imagine you'd be in the main building and foundation building, possibly engineering building? Don't really know, in a different course myself.

Thomond is about a ten minute walk from those I reckon, they're pretty central on campus. Dromroe is closer, but as I said, seems to be booked out (at least for current students, anyway, though I got in early and have my booking confirmation). Cappavilla wouldn't be a bad one to look at either, with the Living Bridge it's about a ten minute walk to campus too, and it has a shop!

But Thomond's been great, would recommend Thomond on personal experience.

Cheers for the info :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info :)

No bother, feel free to ask anything you want to know...I remember how apprehensive I was this time last year! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 new here

I've been accepted into the study abroad program in UL for next semester (later this year), though I'm still waiting to receive the last bits of paperwork from Limerick for accomodation and the like... I was planning on putting Dromroe as my first choice (thanks to your recommondations! :) ), but since someone said it's full, I might not have a chance there.

So, I was wonder if anyone could tell me - is there much of a difference between Thomond and Cappavilla? I've read this whole thread twice over, but there hasn't been that much information on Cappavilla, but from how it looks/what I've read, the two places don't seem to have much of a difference. Any information would be great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CampusAccomm

Hi everyone,

We have joined the world of online social media networking and are now on Facebook. We have set up an information page for all Villages on Campus where we can notify you of important information, events and activities.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campus-Life-Services-University-of-Limerick/157934067596958

If you plan on attending UL in September 2012, the page may be of particular use to you as there are photographs of all the villages which you can view.

If you have a Facebook account, we would love if you 'liked' our page and as always if you have any specific questions or queries, you can contact the accommodation office or your student village reception if you currently live with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Anyone know if early May would be too late to put down a deposit? I'd love to go to Limerick but it isn't on my CAO at the moment. The on-campus accomodation looks amazing, I really don't want to lose my chance of getting a place....

njd2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know if early May would be too late to put down a deposit? I'd love to go to Limerick but it isn't on my CAO at the moment. The on-campus accomodation looks amazing, I really don't want to lose my chance of getting a place....
    chances are you will get a place on campus but after it starts.
    the UL week 1 starts a week before other colleges and its a bit of a mess since there's a wicked rush since theres only 2 weeks between the offers and starting. (wel it was the case last year)
    there is plenty of places available now.
    and dont worry. even though you see it in the pictures. housemates in UL DO NOT sit down and play monopoly EVER. dont know why thats in the pictures for plassey.

why not stick a deposit on now for plassey or killmurry and you'll get it back if you dont get the course. im living in groody and i put down my deposit the a week before i started and they took half they were so desperate for people

Are all the Plassey flats done up like that? Looks more tempting than Kilmurry. Is there any possibility that people can actually take a picture of their own bedroom/flat because these pictures seem a little idealistic and fake for college students.

Are all the Plassey flats done up like that? Looks more tempting than Kilmurry. Is there any possibility that people can actually take a picture of their own bedroom/flat because these pictures seem a little idealistic and fake for college students.

ive been in a new one and a old one. i must say i was impressed with the new one. yeah the pictures are close to what they look like minus some photoshop. they finally put in new couches too that arent rock solid like a couch in a bar.
    all the apartments will look like that next year. i havent been in any of the new bedrooms yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

garv123 wrote: »
    why not stick a deposit on now for plassey or killmurry and you'll get it back if you dont get the course. im living in groody and i put down my deposit the a week before i started and they took half they were so desperate for people

To put down a deposit on the website you need to give your CAO details, but I didn't put UL on my CAO the first time around so I need to wait until May to change it.

njd2010 wrote: »
    To put down a deposit on the website you need to give your CAO details, but I didn't put UL on my CAO the first time around so I need to wait until May to change it.
    I'm in the same situation. Very annoying!

• Advertisement

I'm in the same situation. Very annoying!

ul claim they guarantee every first year a place on campus. if you apply then if you dont get space you'll be near top of the waiting list and should get one.
    people i know applied after the results and got a spot in plassey. the sooner you do it the more of a chance you will get after people pull out for not getting the points.

Advertisement