Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

Hi everyone,

I am just reading through this thread at the moment but it's so long it will take me ages!

I am going to be starting a postgrad course in UL this September and am looking into where the best accommodation for me is! I'm considering campus for handiness, but financially I think off-campus is obviously better!

I'm looking for somewhere that's not going to be full of first year undergrads having parties all the time! But I'm also quite conscious of the fact that I really want a safe place especially since I'm looking off campus.

Anybody have any ideas for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

groody is good and quite if you dont mind a 20 minute walk. you can get a 3bed apartment or 6 bed ensuite.
    the landlord of my block had the 3bed for older students this year who wanted piece and quite

Oh great I'll look into that, thanks!

I was down in Limerick a few months ago and remember seeing accommodation really close to the college that looked nice. I was driving from the Travelodge hotel and I think these flats were almost opposite one of the entrances to UL.
    Does anybody know the name of this place perhaps or anything about it?

Quibbler wrote: »
    Oh great I'll look into that, thanks!

I was down in Limerick a few months ago and remember seeing accommodation really close to the college that looked nice. I was driving from the Travelodge hotel and I think these flats were almost opposite one of the entrances to UL.
    Does anybody know the name of this place perhaps or anything about it?

plassey is opposite the main gate (two big flag poles there)
    thats full of first years and its where the house parties seem to happen

I don't think this place was plassey. It was further down the road than the main gate. It had a security gate and looked more like flats than houses.

• Advertisement

Quibbler wrote: »
    I don't think this place was plassey. It was further down the road than the main gate. It had a security gate and looked more like flats than houses.

old folks retirement village?:pac:
    the nearest place in that direction from the main gate is college court which is an estate or groody which is down past the roundabout

garv123 wrote: »
    old folks retirement village?:pac:
    the nearest place in that direction from the main gate is college court which is an estate or groody which is down past the roundabout

I was so sure I had seen somewhere so looked on googlemap and turns out it was a retirement home! woops! Thanks anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

Guys i need help!!! i cant decide whether to stay in plassey or kilmurry ..... anyone know which ones better?????

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

Heading to ul next year i'd say...always had it in my head that I was going to stay in dromroe hadn't thought bout where i'd stay if I didnt get it...had great intentions of booking in january but have great intentions of doing it dis week!...would rather an apartment so if it came down to thomand vs cappa what would be the better place?!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10rooney10

looking for a house in college court next year for 5 lads... needs to be a fairly good house (not a kip) for reasonable money!....... anyone know of any free houses for next year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Anyone anything to say about Kilmurry? It's another option for me. How is the room, facilities, noise level? I suppose the noise level wouldn't matter too much if I'm wearing headphones or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

Does anyone know of a six bed in college court that can get internet?!

I think I am going to go for off campus accommodation next year but I am trying to work out how much to allow for heating/electricity/bins etc. bills on top of rent.
    I haven't rented in a couple of years and can't really remember, anybody any idea of how much I should be thinking of allowing for bills per month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 new here

I will be studying in Limerick (I'm Australian) next semester as a second year. I've posted here a few times before and until now, I never even considered off-campus accommodation. But it just occured to me that there is no promise that I'll be able to secure an on-campus apartment for only one semester.

Is anybody aware of what the situation is like for international exchange students that are only attending for one semester? Should I be seriously looking at off-campus accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The International Office generally does its best to ensure all exchange students get on campus accommodation.

In terms of searching off campus. College Court, Elm Park, Oaklawns and Milford are 70s/80s/early 90s estates (before insulation was a consideration in building standards). This will only become an issue in November or if we have a harsh winter it may creep in in October.

I would advise any student to consider living further from campus and focusing on the quality of the accommodation.

This is an example of an overpriced house. €80 per room is €2,100 per month plus bills. Better off living on campus really. As an example of where else you could live for that money or much less:
    €1,300 will get you this 5 bed with a number of en-suites 15 minutes away on the motorway. There are NO houses in Limerick City letting at more than €1,400 per month, and that one would sell somewhere above the half million mark.
    This one in the county is about 20 mins drive from UL.

The winter heating costs are also likely to be much lower in any of those bigger houses than some of the older uninsulated examples in the estates surrounding UL.

A reminder at this point that once you sign a lease you are legally obliged to pay the rent for the duration of the lease whether you are living there or not. Giving 30 days notice is a common misconception that you can just give notice and walk away with your deposit intact. Get your lease checked by a solicitor

DO NOT PAY A DEPOSIT UNLESS YOU ARE FULLY AWARE OF THE LEGAL ARRANGEMENT YOU ARE ENTERING INTO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 new here

Thanks for the reply ninety9er.

I really want something on-campus (I'm only going to be able to do it once and looking all over the place for a bedroom on the other side of the world isn't exactly convenient!), but since I still haven't been given a form or anything like it regarding accomodation, I'm a little bit worried. I also read something last night that said students studying for the autumn semester only should look off-campus as year-long students will be given preference.

Maybe I'm just getting nervy... anyway, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dingledodger

I think Brookfield is by far the best accomm off campus..im a first year and have stayed here all this year..Theres always some party going on and security basically let you get away with murder

...I made a load of friends by staying here and wer all going to stay here next year...the management who i thought were a bit useless at first are actually pretty good,,all problems i had were dealt with quickly

and to top off this semester they threw a party for the residents that must have cost them some serious coin..

The only complaint id have is our walls could do with a lick of paint but beyond that Im really happy with the accommodation

wel lads, thinking about living in stanford close, college court next year, bad idea or good idea? also have an option on carysfort avenue, college court! not sure what to do as i heard that the back end of college aka stanford close has a bad reputation for burglary? if true wouldn't be comfortable with that... opinions appreciated lads :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lolzers

I think Brookfield is by far the best accomm off campus..im a first year and have stayed here all this year..Theres always some party going on and security basically let you get away with murder

...I made a load of friends by staying here and wer all going to stay here next year...the management who i thought were a bit useless at first are actually pretty good,,all problems i had were dealt with quickly

and to top off this semester they threw a party for the residents that must have cost them some serious coin..

The only complaint id have is our walls could do with a lick of paint but beyond that Im really happy with the accommodation

I agree dingledodger with what you have said. Im a second year and stayed there this semester.I actually loved it in Brookfield,nice apartments with en suite and good tv channels. I went out quite a bit this semester:cool: and thought there was a good atmosphere.security were sound aswell.....

I realise that brookfield is a bit from college but the shuttle bus is really handy and in fairness its not that long a walk anyway

Management threw a resident party for us there a couple of weeks back with a free bbq, hot food and alcohol which I think was a nice gesture. I dont know of any other accommodation that does that like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mangoverboard

Bitta help needed lads, me and a few friends are looking for some accomodation for next year, don't really have any idea where to start tho. A 4 bedroom house would be perfect but we aren't finding too many. Any ideas on good estates to check out? We'd be looking for as cheap as we can get but if its decent we'll shell out for it. Any recommendations are much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

10rooney10 wrote: »
    wel lads, thinking about living in stanford close, college court next year, bad idea or good idea? also have an option on carysfort avenue, college court! not sure what to do as i heard that the back end of college aka stanford close has a bad reputation for burglary? if true wouldn't be comfortable with that... opinions appreciated lads :P

??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kev Cah

Im doing the leaving at the min but going to UL next year but have to make the decision of choosing accomodation. want to be on campus but dont really know the differences between each place. Can someone do a run down between these 4 Thomond vs Cappaville vs Kilmurray vs Plassy. (No first years go to dromroe right?)
    Plus im doing engineering and wouldnt mind being close to the engineering buildings. Can someone shed light on this. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Kev Cah wrote: »
    Im doing the leaving at the min but going to UL next year but have to make the decision of choosing accomodation. want to be on campus but dont really know the differences between each place. Can someone do a run down between these 4 Thomond vs Cappaville vs Kilmurray vs Plassy. (No first years go to dromroe right?)
    Plus im doing engineering and wouldnt mind being close to the engineering buildings. Can someone shed light on this. Thanks :)

I have a feeling you might be too late to book Thomond or Cappavilla...not sure though! Dromroe is definitely booked out; you could've gone there as a first year and it's the closest to the engineering buildings.

Cappavilla would probabably be the second closest, as it's just across the Living Bridge from the engineering building, but like I said that might be booked out...

Kilmurry and Plassey are quite far from the engineering buildings I'm afraid! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Heading to ul next year i'd say...always had it in my head that I was going to stay in dromroe hadn't thought bout where i'd stay if I didnt get it...had great intentions of booking in january but have great intentions of doing it dis week!...would rather an apartment so if it came down to thomand vs cappa what would be the better place?!..

I'd highly recommend Thomond from my own experience - worth noting that it doesn't have a shop like Cappavilla does though. I think the apartments themselves are pretty similar with a similar set up. Cappa is the closest to the health sciences buildings where apparently scoop ice cream can be found - but that may be a myth!
    You also get to cross the Living Bridge when you're walking home to Cappa, which is very pretty at night! Thomond Bridge isn't as pretty, but I've really loved living here, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Hope that helps somewhat!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kev Cah

I'd highly recommend Thomond from my own experience - worth noting that it doesn't have a shop like Cappavilla does though. I think the apartments themselves are pretty similar with a similar set up. Cappa is the closest to the health sciences buildings where apparently scoop ice cream can be found - but that may be a myth!
    You also get to cross the Living Bridge when you're walking home to Cappa, which is very pretty at night! Thomond Bridge isn't as pretty, but I've really loved living here, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Hope that helps somewhat!

It does thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Going for Kilmurry. €1000 difference is worth compromising a little luxury for :)
    I hope it's not HORRIBLE or anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 phnompenh72

Hi there,

I'm a mature student moving to Limerick in September and looking to do some advance research in terms of a nice place to live near the university. From you experience, what are the nice estates and what ones are to be avoided at all costs?!

The important considerations for me would be:

-Close to the college (less than 30min walk - ideally c.20 min)
    -Well insulated - naturally warm ie. not damp!!
    -2-3 bedrooms (ie. not a 5 bed 'student house/joint')
    -Gas cooker (I like to cook with gas:-) hehe
    -Quite area (how did I forget that?!) ie. not Plassey etc.

And that's it.. thank you so much for any advice in advance.. very much appreciated :-) Have a wonderful day/week/summer :-D

Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Just after I submitted my deposit, the site brought me to a page saying "please answer the questions below" but there's no questions. When I click next, it brings me back to that page with "answer must be provided" under 3 empty spaces.

Is this some sort of psychological test? Like, maybe the first step to a full college education is knowing that there are no questions, only voids which we must try to fill with answers?

...Or, more likely, is the Plassey website just broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I'm thinking of living in Groody or Brookfield Hall next year. It's confusing though because they have different prices on Daft than on their websites so I wonder if they haven't been updated in a while. Does anyone know what the rates were for 2010/2011?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Doing the dissertation over the summer and need somewhere to stay.

In Groody atm and to be honest its a bit of a hole, internet is by no means broadband and have damp in every room cause its freezing. Thinking about Troy village across the way, anyone have any recommendations on it?

Not a fan of Brookfield when I was in 2nd and 3rd year.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement