Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Is Kilmurry appropriate for a postgrad? I'm only 22 and I don't plan on being a hermit, but at the same time I would like to live somewhere that isn't noisy all the time. I looked into the off-campus options and I have had bad experiences with the management companies that run the residences in the past (they run properties in Dublin as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Hi guys,

Have been reading the latest couple of pages but seeing as I'm supposed to be studying right now I said I better just reply myself even though I'm sure this question has been answered before!

Planning on doing either psychology or PE teaching in September '11, just wondering what would be the best place on campus to stay? I presume all the sites are near enoguh to the college anyway and your better off just staying where most other first years are? :)

Cheers in advance, sorry if this question has been asked countless times before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭52paddy

Looking for an off-campus 4 bedroom house in September. Must meet the following criteria:

1. At least two electric showers available
    2. Good insulation
    3. Gas heating
    4. Availability of good internet providers as some providers don't have cables wired in certain areas
    5. Quiet area (preferabaly Briarfield or Curragh Birin)
    6. Rent about €65 per person - no yearly lease, just renting from Sept to May

If anybody can put me through to some landlords, I would appreciate it. Message me.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hurling93

I'm going to ul this summer and plan to go to kilmurry or plassy! Only problem is i haven't booked it yet!! is it too late or will i be able to get a place??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NiallCom

Got accepted 2 Plassey there herd its good :) my roommates btr be up 4 a laugh neway! doing Engineering Teaching course 2 shud be good!
    Cant Wait if u havent gessed already :P

1 question doe! how far away from Plassey is the Engineering building?i realy have no clue where plassey is haha

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

NiallCom wrote: »
    Got accepted 2 Plassey there herd its good :) my roommates btr be up 4 a laugh neway! doing Engineering Teaching course 2 shud be good!
    Cant Wait if u havent gessed already :P

1 question doe! how far away from Plassey is the Engineering building?i realy have no clue where plassey is haha

You're lectures/labs/tutorials etc will be all over the shop, not just in the engineering buildings lad. In first year Eng I was only in the Engineering Research Building for an hour a week, the vast majority of the rest are in the main building:)

You're lectures/labs/tutorials etc will be all over the shop, not just in the engineering buildings lad. In first year Eng I was only in the Engineering Research Building for an hour a week, the vast majority of the rest are in the main building:)
    Thanks for that man:) They all look around 2/3mins walk away neway so wont be 2 bad ! Sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stokesy_kid

biggaman wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Have been reading the latest couple of pages but seeing as I'm supposed to be studying right now I said I better just reply myself even though I'm sure this question has been answered before!

Planning on doing either psychology or PE teaching in September '11, just wondering what would be the best place on campus to stay? I presume all the sites are near enoguh to the college anyway and your better off just staying where most other first years are? :)

Cheers in advance, sorry if this question has been asked countless times before :rolleyes:

it all depends on what you're looking.if you're looking for house parties can't really go wrong wit kilmurry or plassey.plassey tends to be mostly first years. stayed in plassey in first year and had a mental time, especially on paddy's day and rag week.everyone had bbq's and everyone was up for a laff. And they've renovated it since i've been there, which was long overdue to be honest :D kilmurry's mainly 1st or 2nd yrs.it's great if you're into fitness (guessing by the fact your thinking of doing pe teaching) , as it's a stones throw away from the gym/swimming pool and pitches. but still a great place for parties. cappavilla/thomond are really nice places (very clean, modern) but more expensive than kilmurry/plassey (as far as i know, i may be wrong) never been in drumroe so can't talk bout it. all villages are pretty close to college, no more than 10 mins walk and are very close to shops/offies/fast food/clubs/cinema. living off campus is cheaper, was paying €87 a week when i lived in plasey, some places in elm park were €65ish but as a personal choice i would recommend living on campus, in particular plassey and joining a club/society to make a few friends/drinking buddies smile.gif but it all depends on what you're looking for. what was right for me might not be right for everyone else. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 new here

Surprisingly, I managed to get a spot in Dromroe. See you all later this year. Thanks for your help in the past. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

First post, I think!

I'm going to UL doing MMPT in September, and have paid the deposit already for Dromroe. Can anyone who is was staying there last year give me any tips? Like should I bring some extra bits with me? Also what are the security like there?

Cheers. >)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caulfield92

Is hopeing to live in plassey in september and is just wondering is it too late to apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Hey everyone

I'm looking for accommodation that's close enough to UL but idont want to be in with all the first years who are they're to party!! I'm a bit older and looking for somewhere quiet.

I think I am going to go with an apartment either right at the parkway roundabout called parkmews or one that's called parkview hall which is through the parkway roundabout and out on the Dublin road a little, towards the town.

Can anyone tell me if they have experiences of these places good or bad??

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

How far is Kilmurry from shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lovelabel

biggaman wrote: »
    Hi guys,

seeing as your planning on doing pe teaching kilmurry would be your best bet. mostly first years, right beside the pess building and the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Cydoniac wrote: »
    How far is Kilmurry from shops?

Everything is about 5-10 min walk to the student's union spar, then in kilmurry if you cut through the football fields or go by uni golf (you'll know what i'm talking about when you get there) it's about a 10-15 minute walk to an area that has a few chippers, an offy, a lidl near by and couple of other things (most importantly the lodge which will surely be re open next semester).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

On campus accommodation is nice. Some decent places in Dun an Oir and Louvain. Avilla is terrible, wouldn't put dogs into some of the houses there. Loads of residents in Compostella and Eldorado and they get the cops out as soon as a party half starts so no fun there. Lios na Sidhe (bungalows) are ok, but fairly residential and Avignon seems to suit post grads for whatever reason. Elm Park, as bad as the houses are, seems to be the place for student living off campus. Its like a rite of passage, plenty of ridin' and its close to the hurlers too.

Is hopeing to live in plassey in september and is just wondering is it too late to apply?

well,no i dont think its 2 late. i only applied a few weeks ago and got a place. My friends applied even later than me and still got a place, so its worth a try neway!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Anyone know when we can move into our on-campus accommodation for semester one of the new academic year?
    I know it's usually early September that lectures begin again...but how soon before that are we allocated rooms/apartments? It's only June but I miss UL, and Limerick, already! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 silentlou

hiya i lived in parkview hall in 1st year, its very far out and its gets hard 2 motivate urself to go in especially wen raining its bout 30/35 min walk and the bus only goes once an hour and is at around quarter past the hour but u wud want 2 be waiting from 10 past and it might not come some days till half past. Our appartment had alot wrong with it and nothing was done 2 fix anything and over a year later still ahvent got deposit back and unused electricity money. It is very quite around there tho and no security. Its close to city only bout 15/20min walk. Internet is thru cable and not wireless so i found that quite annoying be better on campus in ul or in groody/coutyard or the other 1 der cant think of name of it now tho. Be closer. If in parkview its hard 2 be park of groups societies cos 1st semester will be dark evenings 2 be walking home or bus can get expensive if using alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Thomond is good but quite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

silentlou wrote: »
    hiya i lived in parkview hall in 1st year, its very far out and its gets hard 2 motivate urself to go in especially wen raining its bout 30/35 min walk and the bus only goes once an hour and is at around quarter past the hour but u wud want 2 be waiting from 10 past and it might not come some days till half past. Our appartment had alot wrong with it and nothing was done 2 fix anything and over a year later still ahvent got deposit back and unused electricity money. It is very quite around there tho and no security. Its close to city only bout 15/20min walk. Internet is thru cable and not wireless so i found that quite annoying be better on campus in ul or in groody/coutyard or the other 1 der cant think of name of it now tho. Be closer. If in parkview its hard 2 be park of groups societies cos 1st semester will be dark evenings 2 be walking home or bus can get expensive if using alot.
    All the student accommodation (groody, courtyard, brookfield, on campus) I have come across has the internet through the cable as you put it, its only if you bring your own wireless router that you will get wireless internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Wireless routers arent allowed in the villages. Students had them last yr and everyone in the village was left without internet and everyone received an email warning not to connect them

I brought up a router for second semester and used it in one of the peoples who moved out rooms. In plassey that is, no problems and Rebecca even seen it and nothing was said so you definately can use a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EspressobyMAC

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    First post, I think!

I'm going to UL doing MMPT in September, and have paid the deposit already for Dromroe. Can anyone who is was staying there last year give me any tips? Like should I bring some extra bits with me? Also what are the security like there?

Cheers. >)
    I stayed in Dromroe last year and I thought it wasn't half bad.

Pros: Hot water, even at ungodly hours of the morning (even when it was sub zero temps outside!) if you wanna take a shower after a night out! :P Internet is wired but is exremely fast and works about 99% of the time. There's a small SU shop in the village so if ya need anything it saves ya running up to the main SU shop! Rooms are large (well I thought so anyway). We never got caught with houseparties cos we kept the blind in the kitchen pulled down and no1 could see in! You can get to college in the least amount of time! (litterally 2 min walk to the foundation building!)

Cons: If you end up getting a room on the ground floor beware that there may be a strong musty smell off the carpet and the drawers under the bed. The washing machines in the laundrette in the village don't actually work properly, they cost 5 euro for a wash and dry (by means of a token which you can buy from the village reception) and sometimes the washer would work but the dryer wouldnt so it would cost ya 10 euro for a wash and dry sometimes. and the machines only take a small enough load.. and as for my experience the clothes came out dirtier than they went in!! They are very striclt on recycling and now write the apartment number on the clear recycling bags so if you or your housemates happen to put non recyclable stuff in them you will get fined :(... The place i stayed in the grill didnt work and the oven was very tricky to use, we complained the 1st week but it still didn't get fixed!! It's now the 12th of July and I still didn't get any deposit back!

What you should bring:
    Food and drink and plenty of it!
    maybe another duvet... i found the winter nights were cold so went out and got a second one
    a microwave is handy!
    some clothes and shoes and towels and bedding covers
    shower//makeup(if ur a girl)/hair products
    dishcloths! they get dirty so easily!
    cleaning supplies (they supply a mop and brush and bucket but some rags and surface cleaner is always needed)
    i think thats about all you need.. oh and MONEY! You can't survive with out that stuff!!

Security is the same for dromroe as it is for the rest of the college. I never had a problem with them. They'd give out alright if there are crowds hanging around outside after 11 and send ye to the parking area but generally dont give much hasstle. you might be randomly asked to produce ur student ID if out walkin at night. They really crack down on houseparties (well they did in the ones i was at across the way from us, never our ones though, thankfully).. think that's about it for security... oh and there's a new village menager in this year, he started around last april... he seems to be more strict than the last lad.. anyways good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I brought up a router for second semester and used it in one of the peoples who moved out rooms. In plassey that is, no problems and Rebecca even seen it and nothing was said so you definately can use a router.

No you are most definetly not allowed.

If found, your port will be shut down for a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

HI all,

I may be studying in UL this coming September (fingers crossed) and I wonder if some of you can help me out? I'll be studying a graduate course and at this stage of my life I would like to avoid the campus based accommodation.

I have seen some very nice apartments in my range but most are closer to the city centre (around the south side of the two bridges). Can someone tell me if this is a good place to stay? I'll be walking/cycling or getting the bus to campus every day. I don't mind a 15/20 minute cycle.

Any opinions appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

If you honestly don't mind the commute then by all means go for it.

1huge1 wrote: »

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? I'm not entirely familiar with Limerick so I don't know how it will work out in practice.

1huge1 wrote: »

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? I'm not entirely familiar with Limerick so I don't know how it will work out in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

heybert wrote: »

Hey there heybert,

I cycled in to town from Castletroy for work last semester, it took about that time, if you don't mind the cycle then it's fine. Only thing is, this is Ireland and it's going to be wet.

Advertisement