Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sandwiches wrote: »
    A shuttle bus or is it that the bus eireann one? I have a bike so the commute isn't really a deal breaker, but I'm still curious to find out how people are liking it since it seems to be so much cheaper than Brookfield.

a shuttle bus goes all day long until about 6 o clock which is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Anyone who's been living in Parkview Hall mind letting me know how you're liking it? I've been in Plassey, was planning on going to Brookfield next yeah but the financial situation went from bad to worse so I think I'll have to put up with the walk! The website is fairly vague, any of the apartments have double beds or en suites?
    Yeah, there are bedrooms with double beds. Dunno about en suites, but probably some of them do yeah.
    Not gonna lie, the walk is not half as nice on a cold day. Bus usually stops outside around 20 past every hour though so it's not too pricey to take it the odd time. About a 20 minute walk to the flagpoles, but I walk swiftly so it might take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sandwiches

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Yeah, there are bedrooms with double beds. Dunno about en suites, but probably some of them do yeah.
    Not gonna lie, the walk is not half as nice on a cold day. Bus usually stops outside around 20 past every hour though so it's not too pricey to take it the odd time. About a 20 minute walk to the flagpoles, but I walk swiftly so it might take longer.

Ok, aside from the walk is the place ok?

Similarly, if anyone has information with parkville court/parkmews, let me know!

Ok, aside from the walk is the place ok?

Similarly, if anyone has information with parkville court/parkmews, let me know!
    I'm happy with it, got UPC internet in mine and it's great. House is fine, have 2 other flatmates and they're grand. Never seems to be any trouble around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Do many first years live in Cappavilla/Thomond/Dromroe? Thinking of applying for next year and I'm fairly certain I'd want my own bathroom! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Grindylow wrote: »
    Do many first years live in Cappavilla/Thomond/Dromroe? Thinking of applying for next year and I'm fairly certain I'd want my own bathroom! :P

Yeah bu not as many as plassey.or kilmurray. Go for drumroe! Closest to the campus and it has a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Any boardsies living in Plassey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I told ya to go to Plassey noel! :P
    The whole bathroom thing, and I'm a girl, it isn't really a big deal. I share with 3 other girls, tis grand coz we never seem to use the shower or anything at the same times anyways. and you get a sink and mirror in your bedroom so thats a plus.

Oh ya and Cawcheen, I live in plassey haha.

I told ya to go to Plassey noel! :P
    The whole bathroom thing, and I'm a girl, it isn't really a big deal. I share with 3 other girls, tis grand coz we never seem to use the shower or anything at the same times anyways. and you get a sink and mirror in your bedroom so thats a plus.

Oh ya and Cawcheen, I live in plassey haha.

yeaah but from living with 5 boys and sharing 2 showers this year.. it's disgusting! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I'm telling ya Groody is the way forward! Massive bedrooms, en-suite and close to essential stuff such as four seasons pizza and aldi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I'm telling ya Groody is the way forward! Massive bedrooms, en-suite and close to essential stuff such as four seasons pizza and aldi!

And about a mile out from the most important place: UL itself. Just sayin', bro.

Will do a half-term analysis of Dromroe over the Xmas period, just to help any incoming first-years with choosing their accommodation.

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    And about a mile out from the most important place: UL itself. Just sayin', bro.

Will do a half-term analysis of Dromroe over the Xmas period, just to help any incoming first-years with choosing their accommodation.

Not much further than Thomond!! 8 minute cylce tops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Not much further than Thomond!! 8 minute cylce tops

Are you pushing the bike? :P

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Are you pushing the bike? :P

Why dya think that's slow? That's me going to the srodinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bken1991

its slow if its an 8 minute cycle from Schrodinger to Thomond

for me thats a 10 minute walk

Ohh, that's a bit different, thought you just meant to the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Anyone living in either cappa or dromroe this year? Was wondering about how tight security are around there for house parties and stuff, especially for those on the higher up levels. Was thinking of applying for 1 of them for 4th year but after 2 years off college court was worried about how much id struggle going back on campus after having so much freedom off campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Anyone living in either cappa or dromroe this year? Was wondering about how tight security are around there for house parties and stuff, especially for those on the higher up levels. Was thinking of applying for 1 of them for 4th year but after 2 years off college court was worried about how much id struggle going back on campus after having so much freedom off campus.

If freedom is a massive thing for you, then steer clear of Cappa. The manager does not like house parties at all!

For Dromroe, generally if you keep the windows and curtains closed and keep the noise levels down a bit, they won't care for most of the year. Bear in mind though that things (understandably) get a lot stricter around exam time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The highest concentration of ickle firsties would be Plassey/Kilmurray. That said, there're a good few first years in all villages. If you go Dromroe, you'll most likely be in with five other first years.
    OhMSGlive wrote: »

Here's your review: Savage shpot! :pac:

It depends. For Charity Week, they're c*nts. Not a hope of getting anyone in after about 6pm unless you sneak them in.

Most of the time, as long as you're not doing the absolute twat, as in blaring music, people on the balcony shouting, making too much noise in general, you'll be grand. Last year from about after Charity Week onwards I never saw a security lad walking in Dromroe, and I came in a load of times at 3am, and we had a nice few house parties and never had any trouble.

It really depends on the security's mood. Once when they called to my friend's place, they just "Right, it's 11:00 now, get everyone out of here by 11:30 and we'll say no more." which was fine seeing as we were only waiting for taxis into town anyway. Another time there were four of us having a few cans listening to some tunes at a fairly moderate volume, and the RA came in and tore into us for making noise. :pac:

So if freedom and mad house parties and all that are a major thing for you, then steer away from campus accommodation altogether. If you just like to have a few lads over and have a few cans, play some choons, be graaand.

Moving out of Parkview Hall tomorrow, here's my opinion on it. Block C person here.

Probably one of the cheapest accomodations you can get for college considering what you get. 250 a month or 200 a month if you pay it in a 3 month bundle. All bills apart from electricity. Internet is UPC which is nice BUT they seemed to have blocked all ports which really pissed me off, meant no ULFM, Steam etc. unless I used a VPN. Bit inconvenient.

The walk. Well, it's pretty long. I can make it in 15-20 mins but I am quite a fast walker so expect it to be half an hour unless you're fast. About 3km from there to the Schrodinger for me. It can be the difference in going to a lecture or having a lie in. There is a bus stop outside though and if you had a bike that problem is sorted.

Rooms seem fine, kitchen all works, TV channels and that are fine. Bedroom is good with a nice big desk but I will warn you. The windows don't seem to be completely sealed so there's a litte draught that comes through on cold nights. Only way I could stop it was by covering it all up with hoodies and stuff. Not good!

Landlord is alright, he's fair but I find him a bit hostile and intimidating at times. He certainly wasn't happy when I was telling him I was leaving anyway :pac:

Spar and ATM just outside the house which is really, really handy. Also quite near to the city, not a long walk at all.

I'd say if you're looking for somewhere that gives you a bit of bang for your buck, it's worth considering, but it is probably one of the most far out of all the uni accomodations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mcqueasy

Anyone looking for accommodation for second semester off campus? Trying to find a replacement for myself in curragh birrin, single room, internet, washer, dryer, microwave, cooker, ensuite all mod cons....anyone looking let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Mcqueasy wrote: »
    Anyone looking for accommodation for second semester off campus? Trying to find a replacement for myself in curragh birrin, single room, internet, washer, dryer, microwave, cooker, ensuite all mod cons....anyone looking let me know!

Talk to the landlord about putting an ad up on rent.ie, collegecribs.ie, daft.ie, all those sites. Should find someone quickly enough if the price is right! ULSU have a page for that kind of thing as well if you want to contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mcqueasy

First time I've done something like this cheers for the advice!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lallz

Dromroe is probably the least strict of all three...i lived there last year and we never had any problems even during rag week we could get people in and out with no hassle and when we drank there if we just closed the windows we never got bothered! That being said the manager changed at the start of this year so i dont know if he enforced tighter security :confused:

I spent a lot of time in thomond last year and honestly they are probaly the strictest....iv been kicked outta thomand more times then i remember and it wasnt always when we were drinking either...there were nights when there was just a few of us watching telly and the RA has come barging in :mad: very annoying after a while...also nearly everyone i knew that lived in thomond ended up getting disciplinary meetings!

The few times i drank in cappa it seemed ok!

IMO after leaving in both college court and on campus id stay in college court!

So would you pick Drumroe over Thomond? I'll be in first year and dunno which to pick :confused:

So would you pick Drumroe over Thomond? I'll be in first year and dunno which to pick :confused:

i prefer dromroe cos its closer to everything and its fairly cosy aswel plus it loves to rain in Limerick and the thomond bridge is not a place you want to be when it starts to pour! :pac:

Saying that tho there is a lot more first years in Thomond because Dromroe fills up quite fast with older students so Thomond is great for making friends in first year!

Which ever you pick book early tho just as a precaution cos even if you dont get your place you should get most of your deposit back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Going by what my friends in both places say and I've been in both places too, I'd go with Thomand. Although that walk over the bridge everyday to get to campus would be abit bleh for me (although I've to walk the living bridge everyday so what am I saying!! :o)

edit: although as someone pointed out above, thomand's security is so strict. remember going over to friends for a few quiet drinks and then the security barged in at 10 o clock on the dot and followed us out of the village... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Dromroe > Thomond. Every time.

As most of the ground floor apartments are reserved for firsties, so more than likely you'll be living with five other firsties, surrounded by firsties. :pac: Seriosuly, both are great places to make friends.

Oh, and you're nearly better off if you don't ask to live with anyone in particular, as you circle of friends will get far bigger if you don't live with people you already know. <-- slight risk of living with a complete dickhead though so beware. :pac:

As said above... BOOK EARLY. Not sure when the bookings open... think it's pretty soon, but if you want Dromroe, then book as soon as applications are being taken, if you let it go until after the LC, or after the results, the only way you'll get a place is if you're high on the waiting list and someone drops out.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    <-- slight risk of living with a complete dickhead though so beware. :pac:

Very true :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Downing

Hey can anyone tell me how much they are paying for accommodation in plassey or kilmurray??

Advertisement