Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Downing wrote: »
    Hey can anyone tell me how much they are paying for accommodation in plassey or kilmurray??

Rental Fees in the one place you wouldn't expect to find them... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

wnolan1992 wrote: »

For those too lazy to look it up, €3380 for Plassey and €3510 for Kilmurry. Oh, and Dromroe/Cappa/Thomond all cost €4420 each. Prices are for the biggest accommodation available (8/6 beds) and are for the whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 blargh i cant pick a name

Going to UL next year. I'm pretty much set on on-campus accomodation (easier to get it set up, closer), and I'm too cheap to go anywhere but Plassey or Kilmurry. After i read through the thread i saw most first years go to Plassey, so I thought I'd go there, but apparently its also got the most parties.

I'm not against a bit of craic, but i do want to do some actual study, so how bad is it in Plassey? How often are there parties? How late do they go on? Also how many of the houses have been renovated?

Sorry for all the Questions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Going to UL next year. I'm pretty much set on on-campus accomodation (easier to get it set up, closer), and I'm too cheap to go anywhere but Plassey or Kilmurry. After i read through the thread i saw most first years go to Plassey, so I thought I'd go there, but apparently its also got the most parties.

I'm not against a bit of craic, but i do want to do some actual study, so how bad is it in Plassey? How often are there parties? How late do they go on? Also how many of the houses have been renovated?

There was a like on facebook there a while ago - 'In Kilmurry they call it a house party, in Plassey we call it a riot!' or something along them line. Listen parties are not as mad as you would think. Parties are mostly just held inside. Security are patrolling the place so not much chance of a major party kicking off.
    Party nights are going out nights(Tuesday and Thursday) so you can expect parties between the hours of 8.00-10.30/11.00 and that's really it. A bit of noise when people get back from town i suppose. Nothing to get too worried about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

People seem to think it will be like american pie or van wilder. they arent that bad and security will start kicking people out by 10-11. the only way you'll be put off your study is if your housemates are having houseparties 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

garv123 wrote: »
    People seem to think it will be like american pie or van wilder. they arent that bad and security will start kicking people out by 10-11. the only way you'll be put off your study is if your housemates are having houseparties 24/7

It isn't? :eek::pac::eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

m not against a bit of craic, but i do want to do some actual study, so how bad is it in Plassey?

Honestly, Dromroe is worse for parties. You have nothing to worry about. :)

OhMSGlive wrote: »

I've spent nights in all of the villages at this stage, and honestly, none is worse than any other for parties. Security will clamp down if anywhere is making too much noise, so it really makes no difference between Plassey and Kilmurry tbh.

In fact, I'd imagine the layout of Plassey means it's quieter than Dromroe when all the people are coming back from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiyomumizu

OhMSGlive wrote: »

Hmmmm... You do mean Dromroe is quiet?

Kiyomumizu wrote: »
    Hmmmm... You do mean Dromroe is quiet?

Not the part of Dromroe I'm in anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiyomumizu

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Not the part of Dromroe I'm in anyway. :pac:

Its hardly a hotspot for very loud noise or parties. Occasionally but its never that bad!

But back on topic, Dromroe has a perfect balance of social and study and its only gotten better over my last 4 years.

Kiyomumizu wrote: »
    Its hardly a hotspot for very loud noise or parties. Occasionally but its never that bad!

But back on topic, Dromroe has a perfect balance of social and study and its only gotten better over my last 4 years.

Very true about the balance. Though, if you're on the ground floor beside the "street"(?) it can get irritating at 3 in the morning with people coming back from town. Luckily I don't have the problem this year. :)

The only real problem I've had was probably during the two weeks of exams in December. The people above us seemed to have no exams... but that said, it's pretty easy to block out what noise is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I'm living in Plassey at the moment and live pretty much at the back. We have a few houses around us that love the ol' party but we never hear them. The only thing we hear is doors slamming in our own houses and the grass cutters at 9am every fortnight..Quite annoying.

The only time you're going to hear a party is if you're in the house with one or if you're walking down the street. Security are quite tight at times to make sure nothing gets out of hand and there are mature students living in several houses around that act as assitance to the village managers so parties aren't ever too loud.

I found that study weeks were super quiet because quite a few first years went home. I'm living with three second years, a third year, three first years and a fourth year so my house can be quiet noisy and disrespectful at times depending on the person.

Plassey's a nice place to live though :) The houses are lovely and the only problem I've found is they get messy fast, especially the floors. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 runamok80

i was thinking of staying in kilmurry village next term, but was told some scary things bout the village manager there. not very freindly, dos,nt like students very much, loves to hand out fines for everything and anything.
    been hearing this quite a lot from more than one.
    is this true cos if it is il give it a miss....

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

runamok80 wrote: »
    i was thinking of staying in kilmurry village next term, but was told some scary things bout the village manager there. not very freindly, dos,nt like students very much, loves to hand out fines for everything and anything.
    been hearing this quite a lot from more than one.
    is this true cos if it is il give it a miss....

Virtually every village manager does the same from what i've heard form mates to be honest!
    Look at the small print for any student village type place you'll find the same ridiculous fines for fire blankets etc...
    I was in kilmurry last year, found the village manager grand for the most part...

Virtually every village manager does the same from what i've heard form mates to be honest!
    Look at the small print for any student village type place you'll find the same ridiculous fines for fire blankets etc...
    I was in kilmurry last year, found the village manager grand for the most part...

To be fair, the fines for fire blankets and fire extinguishers are fair enough. If you're stupid enough to go messing with them then you deserve a hefty fine to teach you a lesson.

Lived in Dromroe last year and this year, and from talking to people living in all the other villages it seems pretty universal. Keep your house tidy (doesn't have to be spic and span, just make sure the place is clean like) and don't break sh1t (or replace the sh1t ye break[it's a lot cheaper if the 6/8 of ye all chip in and replace things that need replacing before the managment see it or they'll take the opportunity to take a chunk from your deposit])

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Can anyone recommend where would be best for a couple, mature student and post grad?, iv called the campus accommodation but best on offer would be a 2 bed apartment, having to pay for two rooms would be crazy, so im guessing off campus is best?

Are you looking for somewhere on your own or share with other housemates ?

Id say with house mates would be best, plus would be cheaper?

DJW11 wrote: »
    Id say with house mates would be best, plus would be cheaper?

youd be best off only one of ye getting a room and sharing it. If the landlord knows theres two staying they would want rent of both of ye.

I know when i stayed in groody the landlord made it pretty clear that the double room was for one person.

housemates would still expect ye to pay a two person share of the esb, internet and heating though.

• Advertisement

i might just start ringing around and see what the general feeling is with double rooms, is their off campus accom. area's that are pretty commonly used by UL students?

DJW11 wrote: »
    i might just start ringing around and see what the general feeling is with double rooms, is their off campus accom. area's that are pretty commonly used by UL students?

apartments are brookfield and groody student park,

houses then are in around milford grange, college court, oak lawns, elm park, briarfield

Much appreciated Garv123, will start with those

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

we are currently looking for a house mate. we are three fourth year students in elm park. the house is very nice. pm me if anyone is interested. we are really only home in the evenings. were hard workers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

eldwaro wrote: »
    we are currently looking for a house mate. we are three fourth year students in elm park. the house is very nice. pm me if anyone is interested. we are really only home in the evenings. were hard workers :D
    There's always one I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Daniel S wrote: »
    There's always one I suppose :pac:

the house is very nice indeed.

when compared to the standard of surrounding housing i have witnessed.

but seriously the house is grand. nicest student house ive ever lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FulhamIreland

I lived in Elm Park last year, near the front, the house was an absolute kip. Cold, damp, mouldy, hardly anything worked and had a prick of a landlord. The only thing Elm Park is good for is house parties so don't expect a good nights sleep on a Tuesday or Thursday if you're going living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Hey folks, can anyone tell me how close Superquinn is to the UL campus?
    (its accomodation related)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Hey folks, can anyone tell me how close Superquinn is to the UL campus?
    (its accomodation related)

20 minute walk, 2 minute bus ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    20 minute walk, 2 minute bus ride.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement