Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I lived in Elm Park last year, near the front, the house was an absolute kip. Cold, damp, mouldy, hardly anything worked and had a prick of a landlord. The only thing Elm Park is good for is house parties so don't expect a good nights sleep on a Tuesday or Thursday if you're going living there.

alder close is quiet enough...a little side estate we're in in elm park....tis grand!

but the main part of elm park is kippish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    20 minute walk, 2 minute bus ride.
    Probably closer to a 10-15 min walk if you go through Elm Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Hey folks, can anyone tell me how close Superquinn is to the UL campus?
    (its accomodation related)

If you're looking at places near the Hawthorns or Briarfield, it'd be handy to have a bike. The walk is fine (10-15 mins as mentioned), but a bike cuts down on the trip so much.

Also, bus journey doesn't from there doesn't go by the college (this area is on the route back into town).

The Night Link might run up there but I'm not sure myself, and that won't be much good for 9am lectures :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Probably closer to a 10-15 min walk if you go through Elm Park.

Surprisingly not! Bout routes are the same length, give or take 100m

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Surprisingly not! Bout routes are the same length, give or take 100m
    Madness. Well, it feels closer. That long stretch of road puts me off the second I see it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

What are the nicest houses around? I had a look in college court and some of them looked alright (the newer ones). Don't like Oak Lawns that much nor Elm park.

Is there any houses that are similar to Groody (where I am at the moment)?

Daniel S wrote: »
    What are the nicest houses around? I had a look in college court and some of them looked alright (the newer ones). Don't like Oak Lawns that much nor Elm park.

Is there any houses that are similar to Groody (where I am at the moment)?

Briarfield, the Hawthorns.

I'll write a review of Hawthorns if ya like, not doing it now though, too tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Has anyone any experience in brookfield hall?

DJW11 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience in brookfield hall?
    Alright, nothing special. I'm in Groody Student Village and it's much better. Have lots of friends over in Brookfield and they'd agree. That said, I'm in a 6 bed corner house in Groody and they're pretty much the best, ensuite etc.

Alright, nothing special. I'm in Groody Student Village and it's much better. Have lots of friends over in Brookfield and they'd agree. That said, I'm in a 6 bed corner house in Groody and they're pretty much the best, ensuite etc.

Any specific reasons? price?

• Advertisement

Any specific reasons? price?
    Ah they're fairly similar, but Groody is better. Pricewise, I think Groody is €85 (regardless of how long you book for) a week, while Brookfield is €79 a week if you book for the year, or €89 if you book for six months.

Groody is just nicer to be in imo. You won't have to climb a million stair or use an elevator if your on the top floor. We don't have a bus but we do have the nightlink. Things like the couches, carpets, doors are just better quality. You could almost make Groody feel like your bedroom while Brookfield will always be an apartment that your renting.

I can give you pictures of my bedroom/the house if you want?

I'd like to see the pictures too as a matter of interest.

Ah they're fairly similar, but Groody is better. Pricewise, I think Groody is €85 (regardless of how long you book for) a week, while Brookfield is €79 a week if you book for the year, or €89 if you book for six months.

Groody is just nicer to be in imo. You won't have to climb a million stair or use an elevator if your on the top floor. We don't have a bus but we do have the nightlink. Things like the couches, carpets, doors are just better quality. You could almost make Groody feel like your bedroom while Brookfield will always be an apartment that your renting.

its ok Danial i seen some pics so i think i know what your saying, do you know anything about the speed of the internet in both places?
    Think we're just gonna go with one of the 2 bed apartments in brookfield purely just to save the extra few euros as we'll both be there for the year

its ok Danial i seen some pics so i think i know what your saying, do you know anything about the speed of the internet in both places?
    Think we're just gonna go with one of the 2 bed apartments in brookfield purely just to save the extra few euros as we'll both be there for the year
    I'm going to post them cos Cydoniac is looking for them ;)

Speed is pretty low, barely loads youtube videos (Fine at 360p). Torrent max out at 110kb/s. I think brookfield is slightly less, but similar. Ping is excellent when gaming though. Can't comment on ping in Brookfield but I'd imagine it was similar. If you're a first year, I'd strongly recommend going with a 6 bed or an apartment with as many people as possible, I was going to go for a two bed in brookfield, but a lad said look at Groody while I was waiting at the reception. Delighted he suggested it!

Pics: (I cleaned my room last night so that explains it :D and that is V8 Supercars streaming on the pc :pac:)

6820936514_0d67149a03_b.jpg

6820933332_f100645b02_b.jpg

6820939310_6699a9c255_b.jpg

6967062159_e8e68bfd4f_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I'm going to post them cos Cydoniac is looking for them ;)

Speed is pretty low, barely loads youtube videos (Fine at 360p). Torrent max out at 110kb/s. I think brookfield is slightly less, but similar. Ping is excellent when gaming though. Can't comment on ping in Brookfield but I'd imagine it was similar. If you're a first year, I'd strongly recommend going with a 6 bed or an apartment with as many people as possible, I was going to go for a two bed in brookfield, but a lad said look at Groody while I was waiting at the reception. Delighted he suggested it!

Pics: (I cleaned my room last night so that explains it :D and that is V8 Supercars streaming on the pc :pac:)

6820936514_0d67149a03_b.jpg

6820933332_f100645b02_b.jpg

6820939310_6699a9c255_b.jpg

6967062159_e8e68bfd4f_b.jpg

I got the actual triangle bit of the corner houses in my bedroom. Adds a load onto the room. Hey I want timber flooring in my bathroom as well! Anyway lads, massive thumbs up for groody.

I got the actual triangle bit of the corner houses in my bedroom. Adds a load onto the room. Hey I want timber flooring in my bathroom as well! Anyway lads, massive thumbs up for groody.
    Er... that's plastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Having lived in Dromroe for 2 years would going to Kilmurry be a really bad idea? My choices are there or Cappavilla and Kilmurry is closer and €450 cheaper for 1 semster

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Having lived in Dromroe for 2 years would going to Kilmurry be a really bad idea? My choices are there or Cappavilla and Kilmurry is closer and €450 cheaper for 1 semster

Why not consider off campus if you want to save money?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭laoiserick

I'm sure this question has already been asked but honestly this thread is so massive I can't actually find it anywhere! But anyway.... when should I start booking on campus accommodation? I'm going into first year in September.... was thinking of Kilmurry or Plassey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

laoiserick wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has already been asked but honestly this thread is so massive I can't actually find it anywhere! But anyway.... when should I start booking on campus accommodation? I'm going into first year in September.... was thinking of Kilmurry or Plassey. :)

Simple answer, now.

It appears Dromroe is already full for Autumn and applications only opened ~2 weeks ago, so book ASAP if you want a guaranteed place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    laoiserick wrote: »

Simple answer, now.

It appears Dromroe is already full for Autumn and applications only opened ~2 weeks ago, so book ASAP if you want a guaranteed place.
    All on campus have places set aside for first years but book now. Also on campus have a set number for one term. I say that it is not full yet

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

does anybody know where 4 people would get a house for the remainder of this semester?

Stryderman wrote: »
    does anybody know where 4 people would get a house for the remainder of this semester?
    Fairly sure there are spots around Briarfield. 2 here at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Reiss Avfc

Has anyone got numbers for landlords in milford grange?

I'm currently in El Dorado but looking for somewhere a little nicer next semester, if possible :P

Anyone got any landlord numbers for a decent house ? :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Fairly sure there are spots around Briarfield. 2 here at least.

What are the houses like in briarfield? is it bad for break in's? Were moving out of elm park because we were robbed twice in the last week.

We had an issue but it was more a case of vandalism, no sign of a break in. Place hasn't been robbed for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Does Plassey (or anywhere on campus) have any place for leaving bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Togepi wrote: »
    Does Plassey (or anywhere on campus) have any place for leaving bikes?

Dromroe has a bike shed. Not sure about the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Thanks. Ah well, no need to worry about getting the bike fixed yet so. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

Reiss Avfc wrote: »
    Has anyone got numbers for landlords in milford grange?

I'm currently in El Dorado but looking for somewhere a little nicer next semester, if possible :P

Anyone got any landlord numbers for a decent house ? :)

Thanks

Hey I like your house! :P

(Realises this might freak him out considering he can't tell who this is from the username! :P )

Advertisement