Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Togepi wrote: »
    Does Plassey (or anywhere on campus) have any place for leaving bikes?

yup residents can get access to bike sheds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

freyners wrote: »
    yup residents can get access to bike sheds

Thanks! Are they near the villages or just around the main buildings?

there are about 3 sheds in the village, normally in one of the courtyards

on campus you have to use a bike stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Brilliant, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Bah! Missed out on a place in Dromroe for next semester :( Does anyone know if applications for Thomond or Cappa are still open? I've been put on a waiting list for Dromroe but I'd rather not leave it up to chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Reiss Avfc

Hey I like your house! :P

(Realises this might freak him out considering he can't tell who this is from the username! :P )

Who are you?! :(

*slowly locks door and closes curtains* .. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

Reiss Avfc wrote: »
    Who are you?! :(

*slowly locks door and closes curtains* .. :P

Muhahahahaha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How do you go about finding a house for the summer? Do the accomodation have a list of houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 usernamee

Hi everyone :) I Hope to be an incoming first year next year and stuck in a real dilemma of picking between plassey and kilmurry. I am a person who likes to have a relatively clean nice place to live and would love my own shower but have decided to sacrifice these comforts to live in an area of mostly first years to make sure its easy to make new friends. Plassey originally was at the bottom of my list but now i've heard they have been nearly all done up and better than Kilmurry. Can anyone give me a fairly good idea of which to pick? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

usernamee wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) I Hope to be an incoming first year next year and stuck in a real dilemma of picking between plassey and kilmurry. I am a person who likes to have a relatively clean nice place to live and would love my own shower but have decided to sacrifice these comforts to live in an area of mostly first years to make sure its easy to make new friends. Plassey originally was at the bottom of my list but now i've heard they have been nearly all done up and better than Kilmurry. Can anyone give me a fairly good idea of which to pick? :)

From my experiences, everyone in Kilmurry knows each other. It's a great place for first years and it's closer to campus. Plassey is nice aswell, lovely couches. For me though I would have to recommend Kilmurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

usernamee wrote: »

I live in plassey this year and its pretty good now to be fair!! the rooms are pretty big you have a big desk, chair, light above the bed, wardrobe and sink and a press underneath it. Only set back is the beds are all single. Personally it didnt bother me though as i always had a single bed.

Theres no ensuite either but there is the bathroom that you share with the 2 or 3 other lads you are living with. It might sound annoying at the start that there is only one bathroom between 4, but you will soon realise that ye all are not going to need to use the shower or whatever at the same time so it dosent really matter.

The Kitchen is quite big and there is enough room in the fridge and freezer for everyone so that isnt a problem either.

There are 3 bike sheds in Plassey, and they are never toally full so you will always have space to put your bike.

Its only a 5 to 7 minute walk into the courtyard from plassey, and if your living at the back of kilmurry, its around the same distance so at the end of the day it dosent really matter!

Also theres 2 shops, an offie, a bank of ireland, 2 take aways and a butchers within 3 mins walk from plassey so your pretty much covered there!

The bus stop is just outside plassey aswell so thats pretty handy having one so near! You also end up getting a spot on the friday afternoon bus a way easier than getting on in the bus stop on campus! ;)

Oh and nearly everyone in Plassey is in 1st year! :D haha

So, i think that pretty much sums Plassey up! hope i've helped! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭salmon1

well folks,

just wondering whats peoples opinions on groody.Am thinking about going for the 6 bedroom apartment,any info would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

salmon1 wrote: »
    well folks,

just wondering whats peoples opinions on groody.Am thinking about going for the 6 bedroom apartment,any info would be great :)
    Yes and 100% yes if you're a first year. Search for the posts I made on this thread a few pages back, I've pictures of my room etc and I'm in a six bed house.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Yes and 100% yes if you're a first year. Search for the posts I made on this thread a few pages back, I've pictures of my room etc and I'm in a six bed house.

im actually going to be doing a post grad but still will be up for the craic,is there apartments for say the likes of 3er,4th and post grads?

salmon1 wrote: »
    im actually going to be doing a post grad but still will be up for the craic,is there apartments for say the likes of 3er,4th and post grads?
    Still very good. Noise level is pretty low if you're away from the road and any parties seem to be quiet enough. We went to far with one and got reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Im living in a private house in bru na gruadan right by groody,

I honestly dont reccomend it at all, its a long walk to UL, worse in the rain, the roads are fairly dangerous and the noise from the neighbours is mad, you get no work done when the pyjama clad neighbours are having a discussion accross the whole estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ana.cardoso

Hi guys! I'm a student from Portugal and I'll be attending UL for the next year.
    I've been looking for a place to live and I'd like to know your opinions.

My first option was to rent a room in a house, but I've come to realise that's pretty difficult if you don't know anyone and the truth is I can't really fly there to go see houses right now.

So I'm guessing I'm pretty much stuck with student accomodation =\ From what I've read, I was thinking Groody Student Park or Parkview Hall (the university's residences are basically impossible for me to afford).

What do you think? Has anyone had problems with any of the two? What can you tell me about stuff like internet connection, management, quality-price ratio... Oh, I read somewhere that in Brookfield you end up paying a lot more than the advertised price per week due to extras, does that happen with any of these two?

Thanks in advance! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Here are contact details for the UL International Society. Post on the Facebook page and look for info that way, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to give you advice on what to do.

Personally, I'd avoid Parkview Hall for the simple reason that it is much too far away from campus to get the most out of the experience while you're here. Groody is closer, though it is still about 10-15 minutes walk.

I wouldn't rule out housing either. There's always loads of rooms available, but your main problem is viewing them... An option would be to come over a week or so beforehand, stay in the Travelodge or Kilmurry Lodge hotels, and view houses, because there will likely be places left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ana.cardoso

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Here are contact details for the UL International Society. Post on the Facebook page and look for info that way, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to give you advice on what to do.

Personally, I'd avoid Parkview Hall for the simple reason that it is much too far away from campus to get the most out of the experience while you're here. Groody is closer, though it is still about 10-15 minutes walk.

I wouldn't rule out housing either. There's always loads of rooms available, but your main problem is viewing them... An option would be to come over a week or so beforehand, stay in the Travelodge or Kilmurry Lodge hotels, and view houses, because there will likely be places left.

Thanks, but I've tried asking for help in an e-mail I sent in the beginning of 2012 and still haven't received an answer, whilst in their facebook page I got one reply days after I posted it saying I should go to Plassey. That just wasn't helpful at all.

As you may know, Portugal isn't exactly doing that well financially-wise and my family has, just as all the others, been affected by all the cuts and taxes. That's the reason why I can't really just leave it to the week before, I'm way too scared that by then all the cheapest rooms will have been taken and the remaining places will be the most expensive. =\

As much as I prefer housing, it's pretty much impossible to deal with everything while being so far away, so I figured I'd focus on Parkview and Groody, since those two are the cheapest student accomodation villages I found so far. I just need to know if they're ok before I start making reservations or something.

-sigh- Someone should have invented teleportation by now! x)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thanks, but I've tried asking for help in an e-mail I sent in the beginning of 2012 and still haven't received an answer, whilst in their facebook page I got one reply days after I posted it saying I should go to Plassey. That just wasn't helpful at all.

As you may know, Portugal isn't exactly doing that well financially-wise and my family has, just as all the others, been affected by all the cuts and taxes. That's the reason why I can't really just leave it to the week before, I'm way too scared that by then all the cheapest rooms will have been taken and the remaining places will be the most expensive. =\

As much as I prefer housing, it's pretty much impossible to deal with everything while being so far away, so I figured I'd focus on Parkview and Groody, since those two are the cheapest student accomodation villages I found so far. I just need to know if they're ok before I start making reservations or something.

-sigh- Someone should have invented teleportation by now! x)

As CiaranMT said I'd avoid Parkview Hall...its aaaages away from UL! It's so far away it's practically in the city centre.

There's Brookfield Hall too

To be honest I'd nearly just go with the likes of Plassey etc...while you might think you get a cheaper rent elsewhere by the time you add bills in and location it would be worth paying a very small amount more to live on campus.

• Advertisement

well

has anyone ever stayed in troy student accomadation?whats the craic like there?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Anyone know if there are any free houses in college court for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

If anyone's looking for off-campus accom next year, we're looking for an extra flatmate or two. There's 4 of us at the moment (1 girl, three guys) and we have a really nice house lined up about 15 minutes walk from UL, double beds etc. for €55 a week plus bills.

Looking for guys/girls in any year as long as you're cool and tidy and generally not a deranged scumbag serial killer. Send me a PM if you're interested ASAP.

njd2010 wrote: »
    If anyone's looking for off-campus accom next year, we're looking for an extra flatmate or two. There's 4 of us at the moment (1 girl, three guys) and we have a really nice house lined up about 15 minutes walk from UL, double beds etc. for €55 a week plus bills.

Looking for guys/girls in any year as long as you're cool and tidy and generally not a deranged scumbag serial killer. Send me a PM if you're interested ASAP.
    What courses are you doing? Usually gives a good indication of what you are like! :p

What courses are you doing? Usually gives a good indication of what you are like! :p

Heh, good point :D

I'm doing Law Plus other people in the house are Computer Science, Business and another Law Plus. Two of us will be in 2nd year and the others will be in first year.

Looking for more laid back people really, the landlady wanted us to bring in other people that we knew really well so there wouldn't be any kinds of disputes over bills or anything stupid like that... but we don't know anyone else in need of a house so I'm going to assume everyone on Boards are all groovy people :D

wheres the house?

wheres the house?
    Good question!

wheres the house?

House is in Briarfield area, near Superquinn, MCdonalds etc. 15 minute walk to college by my count.

House is in Briarfield area, near Superquinn, MCdonalds etc. 15 minute walk to college by my count.
    Was looking to get a house in that area, might have to hold off for a bit though. Could you take two extra people? We'd both be engineers.

EDIT: We would also be going into second year.

• Advertisement

Was looking to get a house in that area, might have to hold off for a bit though. Could you take two extra people? We'd both be engineers.

Yeah, I think there's actually 3 bedrooms free so that should be fine. We're running out of decent accommodation to book so time is of the essence.

BTW I should point out- we're looking to rent during the school year 2012-2013, not during the summer!

Advertisement