Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

njd2010 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think there's actually 3 bedrooms free so that should be fine. We're running out of decent accommodation to book so time is of the essence.

BTW I should point out- we're looking to rent during the school year 2012-2013, not during the summer!
    Any chance you could pm me some pics/details regarding en-suite etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BlueFlowers

Hi guys! I'm a student from Portugal and I'll be attending UL for the next year.
    I've been looking for a place to live and I'd like to know your opinions.

My first option was to rent a room in a house, but I've come to realise that's pretty difficult if you don't know anyone and the truth is I can't really fly there to go see houses right now.

So I'm guessing I'm pretty much stuck with student accomodation =\ From what I've read, I was thinking Groody Student Park or Parkview Hall (the university's residences are basically impossible for me to afford).

What do you think? Has anyone had problems with any of the two? What can you tell me about stuff like internet connection, management, quality-price ratio... Oh, I read somewhere that in Brookfield you end up paying a lot more than the advertised price per week due to extras, does that happen with any of these two?

Thanks in advance! :pac:

Hi Ana!

I'm actually involved with the International Society so if I can help you in any way I will :)

I have not lived in either Groody, or Parkview but what I can say is that Parkview hall is VERY far away, I know some friends living there this year, and their biggest annoyance is the distance, you would be looking at a solid 30/40minute walk depending how quick you go! (I do not know if Parkview provide a bus service, perhaps email + ask??)

I have lived out Groody direction and you would be looking at a 15/20minute walk, its not the worst, but it can be annoying with rain (and this is Ireland!!). Quite a few international students live out by Courtyard, and also by Brookfield (all of which are in the same direction of Groody) so you should not be alone should you chose to go out there.

Ideally, International Students tend to go oncampus, but I understand where you are coming from money wise (I completely agree + am the same!!).

I guess, thats all I can say right now but if you want to know anything else, send me a PM perhaps?? I do always check this thread on Boards.ie !!

Hope this helps!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 partyonwayne

Hey peeps, bit lost here, will be starting 1st yr in Sep, never been to UL/don't know anyone or the area, so not sure where to look for accom... I'm 22 so don't really want to live with all 1st years but still want to be near the campus or living somewhere fairly lively, to be honest I'm not too bothered about the actual place moreso the location since I'll be on my tobler, can't afford the on-campus villages so as long as I don't end up in a total dive, be grand :) sorry about the long post ha any advice would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Is that list that the accom office have every year available yet? Yano the list of off campus accommodation available? It usually comes out this time of year i think. If it is out, anyone know where i can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lily92

Hey. Im currently a 2nd year student in UL and i am looking for 3 people to fill a house in College Court for 2ND SEMESTER ONLY of next year following Co-Op placement. I have been contacted by a girl who is living in the house for 1st semester and there are 5 moving out. Myself and a friend have agreed to take their place once we are back from Co-Op. If you know of anyone please let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Anyone lived/ living in Courtyard? What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 needacchelp

In fairness, Parkview is only 10 minutes away by bike and the apartments are very nice. It is mostly international students though, and most of them come here to learn English so are disappointed to find they're not living with Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

the apartments are nice but some of them have leaky windows which can make the room freezing in the winter. If you have a bike it's not too bad, having to walk back and forth all the time is a pain though. Having said that, I did lose a bit of weight last semester from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Raquelsp

Hi everyone!
    I'm a student from Spain and next year (2012/2013) I'll be an incoming student at UL.
    I'm looking for some accomodation. I've found some interesting houses but I need flatmates. I'd prefer they're not Spanish to improve my English.
    Now, I'm in my second year here in Spain, and I'm studying translation and interpreting studies (English, German and Italian).
    If you're looking for flatmates or for sharing a house with, contact me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

hey, me and my friend are both 2nd year students who are going on co-op second semester. Does anyone have a house with two spare rooms for semester 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Trader1991 wrote: »
    hey, me and my friend are both 2nd year students who are going on co-op second semester. Does anyone have a house with two spare rooms for semester 1?

There be two rooms in Cois Ghruda. One if not both of them will be ensuite. PM me if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

YFlyer wrote: »
    There be two rooms in Cois Ghruda. One if not both of them will be ensuite. PM me if you are interested.

thanks for the reply. I think we would be looking for somewhere a bit closer to the college though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CarMar13

Ok, this is sooo big, il set up another one. I am doing a postgrad in ul starting Sept, I don't know anyone there, no idea of the place and living the other side of the country so will rarely be going home. I am looking for a nice house, not student accodamation, as iv never liked it. I want to be as close as I can to the university without having really rough neighbours, as I heard they are mixed in the student areas....does anyone have any suggestions? What is the rent like in the area? Sorry loads of questions, but pretty lost and concerned about getting something sorted soon :/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone has lived in parkmews? It's really cheap so i'm looking into it.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MCCH

Hi
    I am a second year female student in UL living in College Court for the college year 2012/2013, with 4 other second year girls. We have a room available for second semester. Message me ASAP if you are interested. Female or male welcome. Nice house, minutes walk from college campus.

Hey guys, I'm looking for accommodation at the moment and I was wondering if there were any similarly money-conscious students around who might consider sharing a room? My financial situation changed quite a bit recently so I'm looking for something dirt cheap for 4th year. I figure sharing a room could be a good option as I tend to spend all of my day in college anyway, I just need any old place to sleep in.

Or else anyone have any recommendations for the ****tiest, cheapest accommodation within 30mins cycling distance of UL? Anybody got a couch for rent? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Doubt you'll get many places with people willing to share rooms.

For the cheapest, look in Elm Park, Oaklawns, College Court, Milford Grange. I was paying €44 a week for my place in College Court for the year just gone. I've seen ads in Elm Park for €35 too, so you might be lucky. Check everywhere! Rent.ie, collegecribs.ie, the SU's own accommodation list on their website, and you can get a list of landlords from the Accommodation Office in UL.

Actually, another place to try for cheap rooms might be Hazelbrook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hey guys, I'm looking for accommodation at the moment and I was wondering if there were any similarly money-conscious students around who might consider sharing a room? My financial situation changed quite a bit recently so I'm looking for something dirt cheap for 4th year. I figure sharing a room could be a good option as I tend to spend all of my day in college anyway, I just need any old place to sleep in.

Or else anyone have any recommendations for the ****tiest, cheapest accommodation within 30mins cycling distance of UL? Anybody got a couch for rent? :D:D
    Heh, bring your own bed and it's a done deal!

CiaranMT wrote:
    Doubt you'll get many places with people willing to share rooms.

For the cheapest, look in Elm Park, Oaklawns, College Court, Milford Grange. I was paying €44 a week for my place in College Court for the year just gone. I've seen ads in Elm Park for €35 too, so you might be lucky. Check everywhere! Rent.ie, collegecribs.ie, the SU's own accommodation list on their website, and you can get a list of landlords from the Accommodation Office in UL.

Actually, another place to try for cheap rooms might be Hazelbrook.

Thanks, I've been looking at all of them and you're right, there are some decent deals. It's hard to know if the same prices will still be around towards the end of the summer though, and they're not gonna agree to just hold til September, I'm getting in touch with a few anyway to see what the odds are of getting a cheap room in september.

Of course it could still get cheaper! :D
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Heh, bring your own bed and it's a done deal!

Hmm...from the very short reply I don't know if you're serious...but I actually am able to bring a bed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 djbraveheart

hey guys i am accepted to UL and coming there soon. I want to ask what the best accomodation opportunities are for an international masters student and how much? Can you please inform me about it?
    Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

hey guys i am accepted to UL and coming there soon. I want to ask what the best accomodation opportunities are for an international masters student and how much? Can you please inform me about it?
    Best Regards

On campus accommodation is probably your best bet if you can afford it. It's the best way to make friends. They generally put a bunch of international students together, sometimes with a mix of Irish students as well.

Here's some info for International Students.

And here are the rental fees. There's a village-by-village breakdown, as well as a list of what's included in the fees.

EDIT: Sorry, I glossed over the "masters student" part. :o Not sure how relevant the above is, but on campus provides Postgraduate options as well.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    On campus accommodation is probably your best bet if you can afford it. It's the best way to make friends. They generally put a bunch of international students together, sometimes with a mix of Irish students as well.

Here's some info for International Students.

And here are the rental fees. There's a village-by-village breakdown, as well as a list of what's included in the fees.

thank you a lot wnolan1992:)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Hey all, anyone based in the MWRH (Regional Hospital - would suit med/nursing/allied health student) or needs accommodation around Dooradoyle, I have a single room available for rent, cheap, fast broadband, house has all mod cons. Sharing with 2 others (both healthcare professionals).

PM me for more info, room available from August to Dec. Open to short-term rental too.

On campus accomodation seems quite expensive. i guess off campus accomodation would be cheaper right?

On campus accomodation seems quite expensive. i guess off campus accomodation would be cheaper right?

Well one thing to keep in mind is that with on campus, refuse charges, electricity, TV and internet are all included. Rent off campus may look cheaper at first, but most of the time you've to pay bin charges, electricity, TV service, etc on top of that.

In general, yes off campus is cheaper, sometimes considerably so, but not always by enough to justify the hassle of trying to find a place (especially since you're an international student).

My recommendation would be try for on-campus if you can afford it. But it's up to yourself really, I'm sure you'll find a cheaper place off campus if you take a look on some of the accommodation sites. :)

Well one thing to keep in mind is that with on campus, refuse charges, electricity, TV and internet are all included. Rent off campus may look cheaper at first, but most of the time you've to pay bin charges, electricity, TV service, etc on top of that.

In general, yes off campus is cheaper, sometimes considerably so, but not always by enough to justify the hassle of trying to find a place (especially since you're an international student).

My recommendation would be try for on-campus if you can afford it. But it's up to yourself really, I'm sure you'll find a cheaper place off campus if you take a look on some of the accommodation sites. :)

well what i noticed is that most of them are looking for professionals. and i dont think that the irish students are so willing to share the home with an international students. is that true? an irish friend told me so

well what i noticed is that most of them are looking for professionals. and i dont think that the irish students are so willing to share the home with an international students. is that true? an irish friend told me so

I can only speak from personal experience here, but I was living with 4 American students last semester and it was by far the best craic I've had, and would actually prefer to live with International students from now on if given the choice.

Not really sure whether I'm in the minority or majority though, all I can say is that in my experience most people seem to be pretty welcoming of international students.

I can only speak from personal experience here, but I was living with 4 American students last semester and it was by far the best craic I've had, and would actually prefer to live with International students from now on if given the choice.

Not really sure whether I'm in the minority or majority though, all I can say is that in my experience most people seem to be pretty welcoming of international students.

thanks a lot for the help and recommendations bro your help is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

You're in the majority, I've often found international students to be great craic!

Advertisement