Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColmMc

Have a place sorted for placement for 1st semester but I'm looking for 2 bedrooms for 2nd semester, one for a 4th yar, one for a postgrad

2 x Doubles, at least one en suite. In Milford Grange/Elm Park/ Hazelwood....anywhere except College Court or Briarfield

I am moving out after 1st semester and I have two rooms, one double one single in the orchards any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

ColmMc wrote: »
    I am moving out after 1st semester and I have two rooms, one double one single in the orchards any good?

Neither of us willing to take a single, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I'll *hopefully* be starting in UL come September, but of course, it all depends on results. I have no idea where to stay. Money is an issue, so I'm looking for a cheaper place to live. I've walked 3km to school everyday for the past 6 years, so I suppose anything that's a reasonable walking distance away is okay. I'm down to a couple of options; Troy, Groody and Brookfield. I've read through most of the posts, but I'm still undecided. Anyone wanna give me some pro's/cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

iLaura wrote: »
    I'll *hopefully* be starting in UL come September, but of course, it all depends on results. I have no idea where to stay. Money is an issue, so I'm looking for a cheaper place to live. I've walked 3km to school everyday for the past 6 years, so I suppose anything that's a reasonable walking distance away is okay. I'm down to a couple of options; Troy, Groody and Brookfield. I've read through most of the posts, but I'm still undecided. Anyone wanna give me some pro's/cons?

The cheapest way is to live in a house. You're looking at 40-60 quid a week.. some will include internet and stuff if you look around.
    Briarfield has houses going very cheap and its about a 15 minute walk from college..

Ive stayed in groody and the 6 bed apartments are modern and spacious with double ensuite rooms.. The walk put me off cos im lazy in the mornings and worse when hungover.

Brookfield is 5 minutes further down the same road but they have a regular shuttle bus that goes in and out to the college all day. The only downside is that in the evenings you are fair oul walk to the nearest shop or any houses of friends that would be living near college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Go for a 6 bed in Groody, I did that and it turned out well! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Daniel S wrote: »
    Go for a 6 bed in Groody, I did that and it turned out well! :)

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Groody, its the cheapest and the closest to campus. I'll probably go with a 3 bed though, but if I've to get a 6 bed, what of it :P

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Groody, its the cheapest and the closest to campus. I'll probably go with a 3 bed though, but if I've to get a 6 bed, what of it :P
    Honestly as a first year, a six bed is better. They're nicer houses and it's better to have more housemates (more craic etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

3 beds wont have en-suite.. just a heads up... and half of the 3 beds are left empty every year so you will get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Personally, I'd go the 6-bed route.
    More housemates is, in general, always better. It opens you up to a wider circle of friends than you would otherwise.

Plus, there's always a chance you'd hate one of the people in the 3-bed, which would cause far more tension than it would if you were in a 6-bed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

From having lived in a 3 bed and 6 bed, I'd highly recommend a 6 bed. It gets lonely with just 2 other people to be honest, and if one gets on your nerves, it can feel pretty tense and antisocial. On the other hand it feels nice living with more people, nothing better than everyone sitting in the living room watching TV and talking ****e all evening :pac: More people to split cash for stuff too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dmccormack01

that groody place looks good, what would it be like for a mature student?? are the 6 beds usually as mental as the uni halls?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Controversy

Anybody know the story with Cappa, Thomond and Drumroe? Booked out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EweDaSilva

Hi Everyone, Ill be starting my Econ & Socio undergrad in September this year and i got a place in Thomond, Im a international student (From Brasil \o/) btw
    What i wanted to know is that they offered me a place but they never stated if it was a 2,4 or 6 bed place, when does that get sorted out is that after i accept my place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Anybody know the story with Cappa, Thomond and Drumroe? Booked out yet?

Drumroe is booked for the full year as far as I know. May still be some places left for second semester, not sure though.

Should still be spaces in Cappa though normally a few left there all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

college court is a fab place to live much nicer than milford grange!houses about 800 to rent well when i was there anyway...2005!
    Nice place allright..now 5 bed houses are renting at 1700 to rent..if you can find one

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MzMollz

Just been offered UL and Looking at a house on shelbourne road, (some friends live there). Anyone know what's the story with buses from there to UL? Its there a direct or will I have to go to William st first and get the 308?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

MzMollz wrote: »
    Just been offered UL and Looking at a house on shelbourne road, (some friends live there). Anyone know what's the story with buses from there to UL? Its there a direct or will I have to go to William st first and get the 308?

Shelbourne Road? You'll have to walk into town and get the 308.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

Hey guys, anyone got any experience of the troy student village??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thelivingocean

Hey guys, if anyone is looking, we have a room available for 1st semester in College Court. Rent is €50 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xyzmech

I was going to stay in Brookfield for the year but now I have decided that somewhere closer might suit me better as I have training/ soc meetings most nights.

I'm looking at the possibility of staying in either Cappavilla or Thomond but don't know which one to choose?
    Is there much of a difference between them?

Would they both be the same distance away from say the ski slopes?

• Advertisement

xyzmech wrote: »
    I was going to stay in Brookfield for the year but now I have decided that somewhere closer might suit me better as I have training/ soc meetings most nights.

I'm looking at the possibility of staying in either Cappavilla or Thomond but don't know which one to choose?

Dromroe would be closest, but those two are roughly the same distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xyzmech

Daniel S wrote: »
    Dromroe would be closest, but those two are roughly the same distance away.

Thought so.. Dromroe is fully booked as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

EweDaSilva wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, Ill be starting my Econ & Socio undergrad in September this year and i got a place in Thomond, Im a international student (From Brasil \o/) btw
    What i wanted to know is that they offered me a place but they never stated if it was a 2,4 or 6 bed place, when does that get sorted out is that after i accept my place ?

majority are 6 doubles with en suites. unless you request otherwise...think post grads and that generally get the smaller ones or families.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

xyzmech wrote: »

Thomond and Cappa are virtually the same distance away from the Ski Slopes AFAIK.

IIRC the rent for Dromroe and Thomond are the same, so if you can stretch for Dromroe and they still have places I would suggest you go there, since Dromroe is about a 2-3 minute walk to the Ski Slopes.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, it'd be worth checking Dromroe when the LC results and offers are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Just been offered a place in thomond. Isit good for first years ( i.e. the craic) or would I be better off looking for somewhere else? I had plassey and kilmurry down first but there booked up. Anybody here know if places may become available if peope dont get the results they need! Thanks in advance:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't know if Thomond gives the best experience to 1st years to be honest...it's further away than Plassey/Kilmurry and a good bit more expensive. Accomodation is nice and I know first years there who enjoy it but I think Kilmurry/Plassey is the way to go for first year. You still might get a place. There's also Dromroe but I'd say they got booked up ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Just been offered a place in thomond. Isit good for first years ( i.e. the craic)

No it isn't. The craic is supposed to be the worst there (I blame security). Try to go to Plassey or Dromroe instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Thanks for replies.. Ye I had pleased and kilmurray down but yere booked up unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Halick

Studying at UL this fall and got placed in Dromroe. Any tips or tricks, words of advice, good or bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Halick wrote: »
    Studying at UL this fall and got placed in Dromroe. Any tips or tricks, words of advice, good or bad?

Just one: welcome, and enjoy! :D

Advertisement