Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Halick wrote: »
    Studying at UL this fall and got placed in Dromroe. Any tips or tricks, words of advice, good or bad?

It's probably the best on-campus accommodation when all is taken into account IMO.

Tip: Buy earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones. You do not want to be trying to study for an exam while a party is going on in the apartment above yours. Trust me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You do not want to be trying to study for an exam while a party is going on in the apartment above yours. Trust me. :P

You lived on the top floor last year, what the hell are you on about?! :pac:

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    You lived on the top floor last year, what the hell are you on about?! :pac:

I lived on the 2nd floor... it was a 4-storey block.

Back in your box! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

Hi!

Hopefully I'll be starting in UL next month (points allowing) and was told that I've been allocated a space in Thomond. I know it's quieter than Plassey or Kilmurry but I want to know how much so? Are there still frequent parties? I ask this because I am really introverted and I can only take so much; so I'd like knowing that if I were to go to a party somewhere like Plassey that I could come back to a quieter place if I got sick of it. Or am I making assumptions and it is honestly just dependent on who you're sharing with? I don't mind a bit of fun but it's not something I could handle every night...

Also, what's the internet like in Thomond? I know it's not wireless, right? But is there a limit to how much you can use?

NiaBlack wrote: »
    Hi!

Hopefully I'll be starting in UL next month (points allowing) and was told that I've been allocated a space in Thomond. I know it's quieter than Plassey or Kilmurry but I want to know how much so? Are there still frequent parties? I ask this because I am really introverted and I can only take so much; so I'd like knowing that if I were to go to a party somewhere like Plassey that I could come back to a quieter place if I got sick of it. Or am I making assumptions and it is honestly just dependent on who you're sharing with? I don't mind a bit of fun but it's not something I could handle every night...

Also, what's the internet like in Thomond? I know it's not wireless, right? But is there a limit to how much you can use?

Thomond is undoubtedly quieter than Plassey, mainly due to security who are way stricter there than anywhere else. There's still a few parties there though, and it is really dependent on who you're living with as to how much craic you'll have.

The internet is decent. Can be unreliable at times, but it's a decent speed. No limit to usage, but torrents are blocked. No WiFi either.

Best of luck with the results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

Thomond is undoubtedly quieter than Plassey, mainly due to security who are way stricter there than anywhere else. There's still a few parties there though, and it is really dependent on who you're living with as to how much craic you'll have.

The internet is decent. Can be unreliable at times, but it's a decent speed. No limit to usage, but torrents are blocked. No WiFi either.

Well, I know strict security is often a killjoy but I think I'd prefer everything to be in order so that could be a good thing! (Aah I sound like such a killjoy myself, don't I? I'm not... I don't think.)

No limit to usage is the best thing I've heard today! I have friends and family in America so I tend to spend a lot of time talking to them online whenever I can. I think I can survive without WiFi just so long as I have some form of internet.

Thank you so much! And thank you for replying! You've been very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Looking for a fourth person to fill a house in millford next year. We are 3 lads going into second year. Rent is roughly 60-65 euro a week, let me know if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

Anybody looking for a room next year get in contact.
    We have a single room available in Elm Park going for €55 a week.
    20MBit UPC internet, flat screen TV, and bins included ESB is shared between all of us normally about €30-35 every month. Sharing with 4 fourth year MMPT students.

PM for more details...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Does anyone know if there is bills on top of the lump sum for groody or is it all inclusive like on campus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

For now...

muhahaha-s202x184-173786.jpg

I haven't a hope of getting them working... :(
    Peter T wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is bills on top of the lump sum for groody or is it all inclusive like on campus ?

I was there last year, I think they chage €400 for the year and any extra comes from the deposit. Whatever the deposit/bills were, I ended up get €259 back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 blondie94

Hi I have been offered a course in ul,but only student accommodation left is thomand which i cant really afford and also have not heard great reports about it. Where should I start looking for off campus , just looking for something close by and half decent. Also should I just wait and hope to get a place in plassey when people cancel. Sorry about the long message.

blondie94 wrote: »
    Hi I have been offered a course in ul,but only student accommodation left is thomand which i cant really afford and also have not heard great reports about it. Where should I start looking for off campus , just looking for something close by and half decent. Also should I just wait and hope to get a place in plassey when people cancel. Sorry about the long message.

This was posted on the ULSU Facebook page earlier, and the link might be a good place to start:
    Hey Everyone,

The updated available off campus accommodation list 2012 can be found here http://ulsu.ie/student-info/accom
    (first yellow download link on the right). And the Postgrad only 2012 list just below it!

If you need any thing else be sure to let us know!
    Make sure to inspect the house before you move in and to read the lease in full.

Need any help let me know.

All the best,

Cathal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

blondie94 wrote: »
    College Court is probably the closest to the college. Some decent houses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Im looking for room for first semester only. Could anyone help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi Im hoping to get into UL and try and get on campus accommodation next year, and I was wondering if it is possible to get your own internet service in the house like UPC or Eircom as the provided internet is touch and go.

Thanks

Hi Im hoping to get into UL and try and get on campus accommodation next year, and I was wondering if it is possible to get your own internet service in the house like UPC or Eircom as the provided internet is touch and go.

Thanks

AFAIK, no. You could get Vodafone/O2/Three, but those are capped and crap.

The provided internet is, in general, high-speed and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleahy18

Booked into groody village for this year with 5 other fellas, wats the place like usually? in terms of security the craic and anyting elses noteworthy.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sleahy18 wrote: »
    Booked into groody village for this year with 5 other fellas, wats the place like usually? in terms of security the craic and anyting elses noteworthy.

Thanks

Security guy is sound. He'll give you directions to the house parties.

No hassle with people staying unlike college accommodation where you'll get kicked out at 10.

sounds good. have you stayed there before or just a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sleahy18 wrote: »
    sounds good. have you stayed there before or just a friend

Stayed there 2 years ago. Internet is normally crap for the first week there till they get used to the usage amount.
    A router is also handy so you have internet access downstairs.
    If you are not in the a private landlord block the tv channels arent great but you do get sky sports one.

The worst thing about groody is you're living beside 4seasons and its just way too damn nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

garv123 wrote: »
    Stayed there 2 years ago. Internet is normally crap for the first week there till they get used to the usage amount.
    If you are not in the a private landlord block the tv channels arent great but you do get sky sports one.

The worst thing about groody is you're living beside 4seasons and its just way too damn nice.
    If you're in house 2, the controls to all the sky/satellite boxes are in the attic.

Also, Subway.... Mmm...

yera we will get over all of that once security dont be at us about anyting, by any chance did u do the HEAR orientation week when u first came any idea what it is like or what goes on during it?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Security guy is sound. He'll give you directions to the house parties.

No hassle with people staying unlike college accommodation where you'll get kicked out at 10.

Ah it's a great place to stay! Lucas is the security guard, just offer him a cup of tea and you'll be fine. Great accommodation, just one problem with groody is walking in for 9 o'clock starts, it is a bit far off campus but you'll get used to it.

Ah it's a great place to stay! Lucas is the security guard, just offer him a cup of tea and you'll be fine. Great accommodation, just one problem with groody is walking in for 9 o'clock starts, it is a bit far off campus but you'll get used to it.
    its sounding good so, no 9 o clock starts so no problems at all, sweet as

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SavC

NiaBlack wrote: »
    Hi!

Yaaay! Finally another first year in thomond! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OisinOGorman

So I'm a first year moving into kilmurry, anyone else?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cchaney

Starting MMPT this year and looking for accommodation around the elm park, briarfield area.. If any other 1st years have a room available let me know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

So we're bribing the security guard with tea? Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darinaaa

does anybody know any decent places for first year accomodation? on campus is gone :( and im clueless so any help would be great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So I'm a first year moving into kilmurry, anyone else?? :D

Ohh I lived in Kilmurry last year! Had a brilliant time :D If you end up in, or know anyone in number 89, you have to tell me!

Does anyone know if the Accommodation Office is open? Tried ringing them today about Dromroe for repeats and got no reply... or do I ring Dromroe itself?

Advertisement