Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 patrick92

hey im lookin for a person to move into a 3 bedroom apartment 5 mins from UL, 2 ul students already in there, 1 room available, its 45 a week, reply as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Single room up for grabs for 2nd semester only. 5 bed house in hazzlewood. All 3rd year lads. Nice house in a good location.includes 3 bathrooms, dishwasher, burglar alarm, 32" tv etc.
    PM for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andrea_star

I'm also living at plassey and doing straight psychology :) I walked from there to the health science building, and it's a bit of a walk but not too far! Some of the lectures won't be on there, I asked inside and they said there's no definite building for psychology lectures, and we might be in building 17 (as labelled on the map) ! Which is pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

Is it true that the 4-bedroom apartments in Thomond are for post grads? I seem to be the only person in mine at the moment but surely I've been put with other first years or undergrads at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EweDaSilva

NiaBlack wrote: »
    Is it true that the 4-bedroom apartments in Thomond are for post grads? I seem to be the only person in mine at the moment but surely I've been put with other first years or undergrads at least?

Hey Nia, I'm in the same situation as you but in a 6 bed apartment, its good to have the whole apartment to myself but sometimes its kinda creepy, I guess that those who will live me are either post grads or are from Limerick or Ireland so they can affored to come a bit later since orientation for some is only on the next days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Caisy

If you ask in reception they'll usually be able to tell you who you will be living with!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

EweDaSilva wrote: »
    Hey Nia, I'm in the same situation as you but in a 6 bed apartment, its good to have the whole apartment to myself but sometimes its kinda creepy, I guess that those who will live me are either post grads or are from Limerick or Ireland so they can affored to come a bit later since orientation for some is only on the next days.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too! It's just so strange not knowing anyone and not having any clue how to just go out and meet randomers (I'm a little shy). Would be easier if the people I was living with were here so at least I'd have someone to talk to the first few days!
    Caisy wrote: »
    If you ask in reception they'll usually be able to tell you who you will be living with!

I'll try asking soon, I think. I didn't know I could just ask XD

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Plassey is .. loud. Very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

biohaiid wrote: »
    Plassey is .. loud. Very loud.

Give it a while, it will quiet down eventually once people realise that there's work to be done. It could possibly be loud due to the amount of first years there for Orientation Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lunalee

Hi. I am looking for a room in a house somewhere close to the college. If anyone has one PM me with the details please, and what year and course the rest of the people living there are in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Anyone living in Oaklawns? Any idea what it's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

TheGunns wrote: »
    Anyone living in Oaklawns? Any idea what it's like?

I've a friend living there, she said it's lovely, fairly quiet though, or at least it was the night out was out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mohd123

HI , I am Postgraduate student just arrived to limerick yesterday & looking for room, if someone has one Pls send me a PM.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jessoneal34

I am a resident of the US but planning on studying my Master's at UL next September. I know this is super early but wanted to get an idea. I will be bringing my dog with me - does anyone know of apartments/landlords/rooms for let that are close to the UL campus and allow dogs?

Thanks!
    Jessie from Maryland, USA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Heading to UL next year and was at the open day last weekend (great experience!) but I was given to different opinions about accomodation, "Go for Dromroe" and "Forget Dromoe, Plassey is the way" so which one should I go to? I'll be a first year undergraduate and yeah, I know it's quite early... but can't hurt to ask. Basically, I'm asking where would you recommend a first year to stay on campus?

Cheers,
    Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Heading to UL next year and was at the open day last weekend (great experience!) but I was given to different opinions about accomodation, "Go for Dromroe" and "Forget Dromoe, Plassey is the way" so which one should I go to? I'll be a first year undergraduate and yeah, I know it's quite early... but can't hurt to ask. Basically, I'm asking where would you recommend a first year to stay on campus?

Cheers,
    Jamie

On a scale of 1-5 how much do you get drunk/messy? 1 being almost never and 5 being very regularly.

If you don't like that scale: How much do you study? 1 being loads and 5 being very little.

Answers:
    1. Cappavilla
    2. Dromroe
    3. Thomond
    4. Kilmurry
    5. Plassey

Groody is good too. It's better than Brookfield

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Raquelsp

Jessoneal34, you should rent a house. I mean stay in a private accommodation because they sometimes allow pets. Bru Na Gruadan is next to Courtyard and Brookfield, is a bit far, but it's okay, surrounded by the off campus residences. It's like 20-25 minutes walk from the UL, but you can use the bus of those residences or just buy a bike.
    Elm park has also private accommodations, and it's also near the university. Look for those! and good luck ;-)

Daniel S wrote: »
    On a scale of 1-5 how much do you get drunk/messy? 1 being almost never and 5 being very regularly.

If you don't like that scale: How much do you study? 1 being loads and 5 being very little.

Answers:
    1. Cappavilla
    2. Dromroe
    3. Thomond
    4. Kilmurry
    5. Plassey

Groody is good too. It's better than Brookfield
    Well I think I'll go with Plassey seeing that it'll be better craic than Dromoe :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cheers,
    Jamie

Dromroe: Double bed, ensuite bathroom, 6 people in the house, less than five minute walk to most places on campus, generally quieter than Plassey, so probably easier to get study done, mostly mixed between all years and ages.

Plassey: Single bed, two bathrooms in a house between 8 people, depending on how fast you walk can be ten minutes walk to a lecture, closer to a Spar, Offies and restaurants, more parties, mostly first years, significantly cheaper than Dromroe, newly renovated houses are (IMO) nicer than Dromroe.

It depends what you want really.

Personally, I loved Dromroe in first year because it was the perfect mix of being able to have the craic but also get some study done when necessary. Whereas I've heard stories of people unable to study in Plassey because of house parties (but that can happen anywhere I guess).

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Dromroe: Double bed, ensuite bedroom, 6 people in the house, less than five minute walk to most places on campus, generally quieter than Plassey, so probably easier to get study done, mostly mixed between all years and ages.

Plassey: Single bed, two bathrooms in a house between 8 people, depending on how fast you walk can be ten minutes walk to a lecture, closer to a Spar, Offies and restaurants, more parties, mostly first years, significantly cheaper than Dromroe, newly renovated houses are (IMO) nicer than Dromroe.

It depends what you want really.

Personally, I loved Dromroe in first year because it was the perfect mix of being able to have the craic but also get some study done when necessary. Whereas I've heard stories of people unable to study in Plassey because of house parties (but that can happen anywhere I guess).
    I can manage with the noise levels seeing that I'm deaf so I could just basically turn myself off :p I think I'll go for Plassey as others say it's a good place to meet other first years mainly.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I can manage with the noise levels seeing that I'm deaf so I could just basically turn myself off :p I think I'll go for Plassey as others say it's a good place to meet other first years mainly.

Cheers

The noise levels aren't that bad, it's if they have a subwoofer or a decent set of speakers. It's the shaking that'll piss you off the most.

I would like to ask what's the wi-fi like in Plassey accomodation?

I would like to ask what's the wi-fi like in Plassey accomodation?

AFAIK, non existent.

None of the student villages have WiFi, just ethernet ports in your room.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    AFAIK, non existent.

None of the student villages have WiFi, just ethernet ports in your room.

Cheers mate! Is there any chance of an upgrade to wi-fi in the near future? Also what is the bandwidth of the ethernet?

Cheers mate! Is there any chance of an upgrade to wi-fi in the near future? Also what is the bandwidth of the ethernet?

Doubt there're any plans tbh, but you'd never know. :)

The internet is generally pretty decent. Really fast and generally reliable (at least it's been reliable this year). It's the same system as the rest of the college uses, so naturally during high traffic times (during the day when everyone's on campus, during Study week and exams) it can take a hit to speeds, but it's generally alright.

FYI, torrents are blocked.

Hope there will be something later in the future.

Well I'm screwed for downloading games in Limerick... Is it possible to bypass the firewall for it?

Hope there will be something later in the future.

Well I'm screwed for downloading games in Limerick... Is it possible to bypass the firewall for it?

As a game developer, I refuse to answer that. :P

Nah, I've heard it's possible to get around it, but it's difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's possible and I think I know how, but to be honest the risk of getting caught and being blocked outweighs the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

SWIM told me If you start the torrent on a different server it'll continue on the UL one

Means you gotta go over to the nearest hotspot off campus to start them but swim supposes its not that much effort with the money you're saving...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jessoneal34

Thanks Raquelsp!

Advertisement