Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

SWIM told me If you start the torrent on a different server it'll continue on the UL one

Means you gotta go over to the nearest hotspot off campus to start them but swim supposes its not that much effort with the money you're saving...

I will neither confirm nor deny this, but what I will say is that hypothetically I've heard people who get caught doing this by certain System Admins around the place aren't exactly given a cup of tea and Jaffa Cakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What's the idea of places on daft.ie been advertised for 1 year? Have landlords change their stance on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Heading to UL next year and was at the open day last weekend (great experience!) but I was given to different opinions about accomodation, "Go for Dromroe" and "Forget Dromoe, Plassey is the way" so which one should I go to? I'll be a first year undergraduate and yeah, I know it's quite early... but can't hurt to ask. Basically, I'm asking where would you recommend a first year to stay on campus?

Cheers,
    Jamie

Im a 1st year in Plassey this year and it's definitely the perfect place for a first year!
    People tell you that it's mad with parties and all that, but honestly its not that mad. The perfect amount of maddness.
    You can have the craic but you'll definitely be able to get study done too.
    And it's in the perfect location, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

biohaiid wrote: »
    People tell you that it's mad with parties and all that, but honestly its not that mad.

I've heard Plassey is really quiet this year, and that was off a security guard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 whistlerblow16

runamok80 wrote: »
    i was thinking of staying in kilmurry village next term, but was told some scary things bout the village manager there. not very freindly, dos,nt like students very much, loves to hand out fines for everything and anything.
    been hearing this quite a lot from more than one.
    is this true cos if it is il give it a miss....

so so right about that manager, what a total pain. what is the story with her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Hope there will be something later in the future.

Well I'm screwed for downloading games in Limerick... Is it possible to bypass the firewall for it?
    Just start the download somewhere else and then bring it into the 100mb internet you get on campus and your sorted. Did it all last year. No problems at all. You are never gonna get in trouble for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

clonadlad wrote: »
    Just start the download somewhere else and then bring it into the 100mb internet you get on campus and your sorted. Did it all last year. No problems at all. You are never gonna get in trouble for it.

*cough* PRIVATIZEVPN */cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevo873

Hi, I was considering moving into brookfield next semester or next year and I am curious as to whether the 80 euro has to be payed every week or in one lump sum payment at the beginning of the semester.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

stevo873 wrote: »
    Hi, I was considering moving into brookfield next semester or next year and I am curious as to whether the 80 euro has to be payed every week or in one lump sum payment at the beginning of the semester.

Thanks.

One lump sum as far as I know. Also most people I know (myself included in this) would recommend a Groody 6 bed house over Brookfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

stevo873 wrote: »

Thanks.

steer well clear of brookfield, nice place if it was looked after, which its not. take a look at the thread "brookfield deposits" and you'll know all you need to know about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Hi, I live in hazelwood and am going on coop for 2nd semester. Im looking for a person to moove in and take my place. PM me for further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

On campus Vs Off campus:

Going to UL next year, looking at plassey, but money is tight. Would off campus accom like the places over near groody work out cheaper? Taking into account bills and all. I know they're included in the fee for on campus so that looks appealing but which works out cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

On campus Vs Off campus:

Going to UL next year, looking at plassey, but money is tight. Would off campus accom like the places over near groody work out cheaper? Taking into account bills and all. I know they're included in the fee for on campus so that looks appealing but which works out cheaper?

I live in Groody, and at the start of the year you pay 600 euro for the deposit - 200 goes to actual deposit and then the 400 goes towards bills and stuff, so you don't have to worry about that, unless you go over it. And then you get back whatever you didn't used at the end of the year. The only thing with Groody is that it's a bit out, but if you have a bike you can get there in about 7 minutes, the same time it takes to walk from Plassey to the main building

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

iLaura wrote: »
    I live in Groody, and at the start of the year you pay 600 euro for the deposit - 200 goes to actual deposit and then the 400 goes towards bills and stuff, so you don't have to worry about that, unless you go over it. And then you get back whatever you didn't used at the end of the year. The only thing with Groody is that it's a bit out, but if you have a bike you can get there in about 7 minutes, the same time it takes to walk from Plassey to the main building

Thanks that sounds like a good system, so what do you pay rent wise for the year if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Can you connect to Xbox live to use Netflix on the accommodation internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

It's 68 for a 3 bed or 75 for a 6 bed. The 6 beds all have their own ensuite's while the 3 beds have a shared toilet. Have you had a look at their website?
    http://www.groodyvillage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Can you connect to Xbox live to use Netflix on the accommodation internet?

Others told me that they can access Xbox Live without hassle so I wouldn't think that Netflix isn't forbidden

Others told me that they can access Xbox Live without hassle so I wouldn't think that Netflix isn't forbidden

Great, Are there any wired points in the accommodation or just WiFi?

No hassle with Netflix on campus. Only thing that you'll have issues with are P2P stuff (torrents) and filesharing sites that give you a certain quota every day.

Great, Are there any wired points in the accommodation or just WiFi?

No WiFi in on campus places. Only wired connection point in each bedroom.

• Advertisement

OK, thanks for your help. Hopefully will be in limerick next year

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

sup_dude wrote: »
    I've heard Plassey is really quiet this year, and that was off a security guard :D

It is, compared to what I've heard about other years!
    Suits me grand though, it's not completely quiet but not completely mad either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 whistlerblow16

biohaiid wrote: »
    Im a 1st year in Plassey this year and it's definitely the perfect place for a first year!
    People tell you that it's mad with parties and all that, but honestly its not that mad. The perfect amount of maddness.
    You can have the craic but you'll definitely be able to get study done too.
    And it's in the perfect location, IMO.

ya plassey is the place to be,its all good, great buzz but not messy, nice houses nice staff nice location close to shops n all that, short walk to campus so no prob there.
    you could also try kilmurry but only if your stuck, the place is going to hell in a handbag,its pretty much the last resort its messy and run down, it needs a makeover and new staff badly, it seems to be the village time forgot pity id say it was some place back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MelissaaJ

Will be moving to limerick sept 2013 to go to UL .. I don't want to live on campus by myself so is there such as renting rooms with other students & how do I go about that? Also need somewhere safe & reliable .. It will be the first time living on my own & the story's I hear about limerick frighten me !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

MelissaaJ wrote: »
    Will be moving to limerick sept 2013 to go to UL .. I don't want to live on campus by myself so is there such as renting rooms with other students & how do I go about that? Also need somewhere safe & reliable .. It will be the first time living on my own & the story's I hear about limerick frighten me !

On Student Campuses, you don't live on your own. You have the option to stay in a 4/6/8 Bed house which will be shared by other students going to UL. You are probably better staying on campus as you will get to know others much better.

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want to live on campus in your situation tbh.

I'm assuming you're coming to UL and don't know anyone? In which case living on campus is by far the best option IMO. You'll be living with other first years and it's a great way to make friends. And it's far more secure than the estates as well, which would help allay the fears of the stories.

But of course it's your decision, that'd just be what I'd suggest anyway. :)

Of course, if you're a postgrad then you can disregard all of that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

& the story's I hear about limerick frighten me !
    You'll find a lot of it is hearsay, and all cities have their bad areas. Castletroy is pretty peaceful.

Are you allowed to plug in a wireless router or Ethernet switch into the fixed Internet points in the bedrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

on campus, technically your not allowed and you can be fined if they see it but in reality I know a good few houses do use wireless routers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Are you allowed to plug in a wireless router or Ethernet switch into the fixed Internet points in the bedrooms?
    All I'll say is if you are going to use one, best to make the SSID (the name that appears when you scan hotspots) hidden.

Advertisement