Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OM95 wrote: »
    I'm a first year undergraduate coming to UL this September to do business. Me and 2 of my friends just booked Dromroe and put each other down to share with.

I know Dromroe is fairly quiet, but surely something must happen there every now and again?? Do many first years go there?

And what's the likelihood of me and my 2 friends all getting the same apartment? Because they were saying on the website that they'll basically do their best so that, in other words, means we might not be sharing.

Dromroe is quite, but that doesn't mean people don't have parties. Like, as long as you're not being stupid and having 100 people over roaring out the window or music blasting at top volume, you'll be given some leeway by security.

As for sharing, there's a high likelihood that you'll be living with your two friends. When they say they do their best, that's just to cover them in case they can't manage it. You've booked early, so your chances are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OM95

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Dromroe is quite, but that doesn't mean people don't have parties. Like, as long as you're not being stupid and having 100 people over roaring out the window or music blasting at top volume, you'll be given some leeway by security.

As for sharing, there's a high likelihood that you'll be living with your two friends. When they say they do their best, that's just to cover them in case they can't manage it. You've booked early, so your chances are high.

Oh, okay, that's good! :D Yeah we heard Dromroe booked out quickly so made sure to get in there quick!

What are the apartments like? Do they look as nice as the photos on the UL site? And how long a walk is it to the business school?

OM95 wrote: »
    Oh, okay, that's good! :D Yeah we heard Dromroe booked out quickly so made sure to get in there quick!

What are the apartments like? Do they look as nice as the photos on the UL site? And how long a walk is it to the business school?

The apartments are great. Bedrooms are the best on campus IMO, living rooms have real comfy couches and a few decent TV channels.

It's literally a 2-3 minute walk to the Business school depending on how fast you walk. I have classes in Schumann (which is right by Kemmy Business) and I leave at about 10 to and am there at about five to, and I'm a slow walker. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OM95

The apartments are great. Bedrooms are the best on campus IMO, living rooms have real comfy couches and a few decent TV channels.

It's literally a 2-3 minute walk to the Business school depending on how fast you walk. I have classes in Schumann (which is right by Kemmy Business) and I leave at about 10 to and am there at about five to, and I'm a slow walker. :P

Nice one :D I'm looking forward to it now, thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think I got a room there. Cappavilla has the nicest rooms on campus imo but its too far away from the main buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Stupid question, but I'm just filling out the accommodation form now and I want to live with my friend. When it says put in his details, will his name do?

Stupid question, but I'm just filling out the accommodation form now and I want to live with my friend. When it says put in his details, will his name do?

Pretty sure that'll do. Maybe give them a ring on Monday just to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

How late would I be able to put back applying for accommodation, (How long can I leave it and still get a place)

How late would I be able to put back applying for accommodation, (How long can I leave it and still get a place)

If you want to be guaranteed Dromroe, you'd probably want to apply right now.

Thomond will probably still have places up until August (usually does AFAIK), Plassey may be dodgy since they've done it up.

You'll more likely get accommodation somewhere if you apply, it just mightn't be in your first choice village if you don't apply before summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If you want to be guaranteed Dromroe, you'd probably want to apply right now.

Thomond will probably still have places up until August (usually does AFAIK), Plassey may be dodgy since they've done it up.

You'll more likely get accommodation somewhere if you apply, it just mightn't be in your first choice village if you don't apply before summer.

What village is closest to the Engineering building? Looking to do Electronic & Computer engineering or Electronics

• Advertisement

What village is closest to the Engineering building? Looking to do Electronic & Computer engineering or Electronics

Dromroe. Depending on which apartment you get, you could leave your room and be in the engineering building in less than a minute (no exaggeration).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Not many of your classes will be in the engineering building though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EdenGirl

Hi, I will be going to UL as a postgraduate in September, just wondering where the best place for a postgrad to live is?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AdamReynolds

Is Kilmurry really as bad as people seem to be saying it is? I put it down as my first choice mainly because its right beside the gym but im starting to regret it now! :/ Also did anyone that applied already get a text saying they got a place or not? I'd swear it said they would text within a couple of days if you got a place

Is Kilmurry really as bad as people seem to be saying it is? I put it down as my first choice mainly because its right beside the gym but im starting to regret it now! :/ Also did anyone that applied already get a text saying they got a place or not? I'd swear it said they would text within a couple of days if you got a place

Check your emails. I got a confirmation email this week. Have never got a text from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I loved Kilmurry in first year! I would recommend anyone starting to live there. I have a lot of fond memories from the place and miss it :) I'm even considering going back next year, possibly.

Also, I'd imagine you got a place. I applied the day I got my offers and got a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AdamReynolds

Check your emails. I got a confirmation email this week. Have never got a text from them.

Was it just saying thanks for the application and deposit or did yours actually say you got a place?
    Oh right thanks ive heard some people say its deadly and others saying its the worst place on campus, i guess ill just have to wait and see tomake up my own mind :P

Was it just saying thanks for the application and deposit or did yours actually say you got a place?
    Oh right thanks ive heard some people say its deadly and others saying its the worst place on campus, i guess ill just have to wait and see tomake up my own mind :P

I got both. Got a confirmation email saying they'd received my application, then another saying I'd gotten a place. But I applied within an hour of applications opening and I imagine those emails are sent manually so I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't got one yet.

You'll get an email either way, either saying you've got a place or that you're on the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vd95

Yeah, I'm stuck between Kilmurry and Dromroe. Is Kilmurry actually a ****hole as I've heard? The amount of people saying it, there must be something bad about it! The banter is meant to be good there, but in Dromroe the are, again hearsay, meant to be nicer, but being honest people said it's dry enough...anyone any fairly recent experiences? thaanks

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Does anybody know how to change the email address on the CLS accounts ? - the ones you give when you apply for campus accommodation ? Cant access the address I gave in first year anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Buzzer95o

Hey lads. I'm feeling a little panicked after seeing this forum. Planning to go to UL in September and haven't booked accomadation yet. I want plassey. Will I be booked out now? What are my chances of getting it now like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

Buzzer95o wrote: »
    Hey lads. I'm feeling a little panicked after seeing this forum. Planning to go to UL in September and haven't booked accomadation yet. I want plassey. Will I be booked out now? What are my chances of getting it now like

I think Plassey books faster than Kilmurry, but I'm sure both villages still have places, because accommodation only opened about two weeks ago. Still, I'd book as soon as possible just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Buzzer95o

inthezone wrote: »

I think Plassey books faster than Kilmurry, but I'm sure both villages still have places, because accommodation only opened about two weeks ago. Still, I'd book as soon as possible just to be safe.

Thanks for that! Have you any idea what happens wen you book? Do they email you straight away like nd let you know what place you get of how soon do you find out what you got like?

Buzzer95o wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Have you any idea what happens wen you book? Do they email you straight away like nd let you know what place you get of how soon do you find out what you got like?

When you apply, you select which village you want.

After you apply, you'll get a confirmation email that just confirms they've received your application.

Then a while after that, you should receive an email that'll either say "You've got a place." or "You didn't get a place, you're on the waiting list."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

After this week,
    Next year I want to live on my own.
    Blissfully underated seclusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

After this week,
    Next year I want to live on my own.
    Blissfully underated seclusion :)

I do :P Its glorious although there was no getting away from anything this week, I feel like I could sleep for weeks now.

If any first years incoming are wondering I would live off campus. Anytime Ive been on campus to friends the staff are a pain. I'm a first year living off campus and plenty others do too so give it some thinking as an available option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

1st Year too (technically,)
    And off campus.
    Just I'm in a house of 6 :/
    Who invited more over for RAG week...
    When I'd an assignment to do...
    But you'll get that anywhere... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Plassey or Kilmurry for Electronic and Computer Engineering?

And in general, Plassey or Kilmurry for an incoming first year?

Thanks a million guys, I need to book ASAP.

EDIT:
    If you have a comparison for internet speed in Plassay and Kilmurry that'd be great too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Plassey or Kilmurry for Electronic and Computer Engineering?

And in general, Plassey or Kilmurry for an incoming first year?

Thanks a million guys, I need to book ASAP.

EDIT:
    If you have a comparison for internet speed in Plassay and Kilmurry that'd be great too! :)

Both are early the same distance to the computer science building. kilmurry is closer to the main campus.. plassey isnt far though.
    Kilmurry is beside the arena..
    both are near shops
    plassey is nearly all first years.

either way they're both grand for first year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Thanks, I applied to Plassey anyway. Do you think I'll be safe enough getting into Plassey, or am I a bit late? :/

Advertisement