Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

DarkDusk wrote: »
    EDIT:
    If you have a comparison for internet speed in Plassay and Kilmurry that'd be great too! :)

All on campus accommodation uses the same internet connection. Same as connection as the main college buildings.

Have never had any issue with speed, always super fast. Can be dodgy around exam time (has been known to go down for a few days straight) but so far this year since September it's been superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Got it booked now. Plassey was my first choice. Just have to wait for an e-mail from them. Next? Get 450 points in the Leaving and I'm sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Got it booked now. Plassey was my first choice. Just have to wait for an e-mail from them. Next? Get 450 points in the Leaving and I'm sorted

400ish for me! Hopefully I will see you there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

DarkDusk wrote: »
    400ish for me! Hopefully I will see you there! :)

Good luck! What are you hoping to get into?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Krazylotty123

Hi, has anyone stayed in Courtyard?

I won't get down to see it so am just relying on their 'promotional video' on the website. Also considering Groody as an alternative. If you've heard anything about them, good or bad, what do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Krazylotty123

Hi, Im a 24 yr old starting the masters in OT in September. I recently visited the courtyard village and viewed the 2 bed apt. Its really nice with ensuite rooms, but the lady said I prob wont get it unless I have another person to live with. The 2 beds are the same price as a 4 or 5 bed house and they are in a more quiet location. Anyone want more info PM me.

Hi, I'm pretty much in your position, just a year later. Did you get Courtyard in the end? How come the lady said you probably wouldn't get it unless you found a housemate? Do they not just put you in with a stranger anyway?

Basically I think I'd be happy to take a 2 bed in Courtyard and even pay deposit now but didn't realise there's a chance of 'not getting it' if you apply alone :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Have been offered my masters programme in UL for this coming september. Moving down on my own, don't know Limerick well at all. I've been looking at taking accomodation in Groody Student Park mainly for its pricing and parking. Seems to be some conflicting views on Groody here though, any help would be appreciated on finding decent affordable accomodation! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

blazermel wrote: »
    Have been offered my masters programme in UL for this coming september. Moving down on my own, don't know Limerick well at all. I've been looking at taking accomodation in Groody Student Park mainly for its pricing and parking. Seems to be some conflicting views on Groody here though, any help would be appreciated on finding decent affordable accomodation! :)
    Accomodation wise I have never heard anything bad about groody but beware that it is not very close to the UL campus, would be roughly a 20 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Accomodation wise I have never heard anything bad about groody but beware that it is not very close to the UL campus, would be roughly a 20 minute walk.

I think you could easily walk from Groody to UL in 15. It's not as far out as people seem to think it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Anyone have any off-campus suggestions for places that take students for a semester? (Other than Groody, Brookfield and Courtyard.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Briarfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

biohaiid wrote: »
    I think you could easily walk from Groody to UL in 15. It's not as far out as people seem to think it is :)
    I think it depends how far in you are really. Either way it's not a terribly long walk, good exercise anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Briarfield?

That's nearer to the east gate is it? How far of a walk is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Togepi wrote: »
    That's nearer to the east gate is it? How far of a walk is it?
    Takes me 15 mins from The Birches to the east side of the campus. Pretty short when you walk through Elm Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hiwazup

Does anyone know if Wireless will be put into the accommodation before next year? (At the open day the guy showing off the 6 bed mentioned that they're trying to install it). Also what are the average speeds through the LAN? Finally, what happens if you set up your own wireless and make it hidden, will they still block it?

Hiwazup wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Wireless will be put into the accommodation before next year? (At the open day the guy showing off the 6 bed mentioned that they're trying to install it). Also what are the average speeds through the LAN? Finally, what happens if you set up your own wireless and make it hidden, will they still block it?

Here's the speeds I got just now:

2654717453.png

I don't keep track of upload speeds, but on Steam I get a pretty consistent 5MB/s download. Sometimes as high as 10mb, never lower than 4mb.

I don't know if they'll put it in, but if they do it'd be cool. (Hope it's not just Plassey they're planning on installing it in...)

Set up your own and you should be fine. I've heard stories of people being told to shut theirs down, but not sure if that's just urban legend or not. All I know is, if I look at my WiFi section now, there're about 10 different connections from other people. So again, you should be fine to set up your own if they don't do it.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Here's the speeds I got just now:

2654717453.png

I don't keep track of upload speeds, but on Steam I get a pretty consistent 5MB/s download. Sometimes as high as 10mb, never lower than 4mb.

I don't know if they'll put it in, but if they do it'd be cool. (Hope it's not just Plassey they're planning on installing it in...)

Set up your own and you should be fine. I've heard stories of people being told to shut theirs down, but not sure if that's just urban legend or not. All I know is, if I look at my WiFi section now, there're about 10 different connections from other people. So again, you should be fine to set up your own if they don't do it.
    Awesome, much better than I get at home anyway! So they're fine with you downloading games off steam (as in full 6+ GB games)? Surprising :) Damn I hope I can get WiFi anyway, it's awful being tied down with a connection the whole time!
    Thanks for the info :D

Awesome, much better than I get at home anyway! So they're fine with you downloading games off steam (as in full 6+ GB games)? Surprising :) Damn I hope I can get WiFi anyway, it's awful being tied down with a connection the whole time!
    Thanks for the info :D

There's no limits on usage. I mean, I downloaded about 45GB of games in 2 hours before I went home for Christmas. :P

Torrents are blocked though.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    There's no limits on usage. I mean, I downloaded about 45GB of games in 2 hours before I went home for Christmas. :P

Torrents are blocked though.
    Haha, Nice! :D Streaming isn't through, right? (Like 1channel.ch)

Haha, Nice! :D Streaming isn't through, right? (Like 1channel.ch)

Streaming's fine as long as it's not a MegaUpload type thing where you get a certain daily allowance, because every computer in the entire college has one IP address to the outside world (there's a technical explanation for that, but meh).

Not that I condone that sort of illegal behaviour or anything... ;)

• Advertisement

Awesome :D Nor do I, I'm only finding this out so I can know what not to do next year! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Anyone know if you've to get an appointment with the accom office or can you walk in?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chelseafan2895

hey guys whats groody accom like any body have any advice ?:) hopeing to get pe teaching if that makes any difference :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Reiss Avfc

Anyone looking for a house for 2nd semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

That FB page isnt genuine. The residents assoc dont know anything about it so ignore it, and i have that info from a committee member.
    She told me they couldnt care less whether residents are permanent or not, as long as they respect the area. In fact most students dont cause any trouble, just a few. But if they leave bottles cans and litter in their garden of course the residents (permanent or otherwise) will get annoyed. Who wants to live beside a house that looks like a dump? take a walk around and there's a litter issue with some houses on every street, cars destroying grass verges, curtains pulled down, houses mudballed etc. I'm not a "permanent" resident but i can understand their frustration. Some of the landlords are as much to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

Wrong page... oooops...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2666891670.png
    Thats the broadband speeds Im getting in groody.
    This is on the wired connection thats considerably better than the wireless.
    During the middle of the day before the connection becomes a complete mess.

Anyone else have this issue in groody ?
    Its always been slow but the last few weeks its gone to the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scrabble

Hey, I'm going to UL in September to do the PDE in Business.. I'm from Kerry so I'm able to commute to UL for the 6 weeks in the second semester, so only need to stay in Limerick for the first semester. Applied to the UL accomodation office and they said I'm 6 on a wait list for a one semester stay.. Was just wondering if there's any other student apartments around UL as I'm not familiar with the area? Also read somewhere that UL wireless doesn't support mac computers? So that wouldn't be good for me!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies :) I've decided to go with Groody, just paid a booking deposit there.. And sure the walk will do me good :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 d_n_c

Hey lads, looking for housemates/place to live next year at the moment, I'm 22 going into 2nd year Engineering so not exactly a mature but would rather not live with a group of 18 year olds (again, sorry :P) also fairly broke so looking to pay around 60 a week not bothered where but preferably not a kip ha, if anyone has a room or is looking for a group PM me! Sound :)

Advertisement