Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hi,

What is the cheapest accommodation within a reasonable walking distance to UL? As in somewhere that is just for students like groody?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Hi,

What is the cheapest accommodation within a reasonable walking distance to UL? As in somewhere that is just for students like groody?

Thanks!
    Cheapest, and probably closest too, would be somewhere in Milford/Elm Park/CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

When is the best time to start looking for houses. A soon to be postgraduate student looking for somewhere quiet cheap but with less restrictions.

I take deposits for rooms anytime.

https://www.facebook.com/JCPropertyIreland

If you looking contact me on the Facebook page above

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Do not , do not live in Elm park :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I agree, do not live in Elm park. I live there right now, your clothes will always smell of damp house, it's cold and even if you are new tenants, the house will be quite disgusting (depends which end of Elm you get), also there are two landlords/agents that are not exactly the most honest (I know as I am going through problems with one at the moment).

I lived in Milford last year before co-op and that is a really nice place. It is similar to Elm but a bit cleaner and not as cold. The landlords are nicer and it is also cheap and in a nice area.

Also, just to note guys, two houses in Elm and two cars were robbed this weekend so keep a lookout and make sure you're all locked and secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I experienced the same in Briarfield actually. Massive damp and heating problems. Damp follows me around though, I breathe too much.. :/
    Briarfield, although a little further out of the way, come next week will be almost as bad as Elm park. Noisy, annoying and all the broken glass you could ever want. RAG week's a bad time to be advertising houses though. Haven't had the best experiences with houses in the past so can't wholeheartedly suggest any.
    Seriously though would want to keep an eye out for the damp, left clothes in houses over Christmas a couple of times and came back destroyed :/

I agree completely with Chris here. Unfortunately, damp is a huge problem in any houses such as Briarfield, Elm and Milford. I had a horrible damp problem in Milford and by the end of it, the room had turned green from the damp beneath the wallpaper.

Maybe make sure to get someone t check your house out before moving in.

I am living on campus next year, I am not doing the same **** I've done for the past two years!

For Plassey/Kilmurray, when should I apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Applications just went live.

Am I reading the fees right though? They seem to say it cost the same price for staying for the year and staying for one semester?? Surely thats not right?

Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

phish wrote: »
    Applications just went live.

Am I reading the fees right though? They seem to say it cost the same price for staying for the year and staying for one semester?? Surely thats not right?

Anyone any experience of this?

That must be a mistake. I booked for one semester at at one point and I definitely only had to pay for one semester (so slightly more than half the 4.6k for Dromroe). I would ring just to make sure they're not after hiking it up this year though.

Does anyone have the rental fee payment schedule for 2013/14 by any chance? Can't find out how much the 3rd installment is...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Just re read it there and I was mistaken I think now that it is you pay x amount in Aug if you're staying first semester OR x amount in Dec if you're staying for second semester which makes much more sense.

Think the 3rd installment is somewhere between 800 and 900 but I'm not fully sure on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Application sorted. Limerick here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Need to put money on the card tomorrow and I'm sorted!

Will I be okay if I apply next weekend for Plassey or am I cutting it close? I dunno how packed it gets...

Aragneer wrote: »
    Will I be okay if I apply next weekend for Plassey or am I cutting it close? I dunno how packed it gets...

You should be alright, but the advice is always to get the application in ASAP. From what I can remember from last year, Dromroe filled up within 2-3 days of applications opening, other than that I think the others had places available for a good while. And even if you don't get it, you'll be on of the first names on the list in August when the Leaving Certers start cancelling places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Plassey you should be fine but for Dromroe you need to book right away

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Adam1234567

Any 1st years considering Kilmurry? Also anyone with experience of living their would you recommend it? , Is Plassey really that much better in 1st year? Was also wondering is there a fairly even distribution of fellas and girls in each house? I'm hoping to live with two other friends, this shouldn't be a problem right? thanks.

I lived in Plassey in my first year. I was the only first year in my house. I am going into 4th year next year and will be living in Plassey or Kilmurray (I hope).
    I really feel the two are the same when you're first years and just need a place to live.

I lived with 4 lads and 4 girls (including myself) in the first semester but in the second semester we had 6 lads and 2 girls (me and a friend), so they don't really evenly distribute it if they get stuck with some people they need to place so it shouldn't be a problem being put with your friends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Anyone know where to look for accommodation for next year that will take a group of students going on Coop in the second semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stommy

what courses are most of the first years staying in kilmurry studying?how many are in each appartment and how many bathrooms are there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I've secured a room. That's a weight off my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

stommy wrote: »
    what courses are most of the first years staying in kilmurry studying?how many are in each appartment and how many bathrooms are there

1) Don't think that be public knowledge. Perhaps if you contact the village management they may tell you.

2) Most apartments have 6 living there. a few of them have 4 living there.

3) two bathrooms: 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 marblepaper

Classey Plassey for first year! ! ! Kilmurry is a good laugh too. If you can pick go for Plassey lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I am going into 4th year next year and will be living in Plassey or Kilmurray (I hope).

I'm half tempted to do the same... just wanna be warm for a change :D After living in Kilmurry in first year though, I wonder is it madness for fourth year... (darn you Dromroe and your expensiveness :()

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marteh

Plassey first! Has anyone had any issues with the application? the online induction isnt working and it says I havent paid my fee. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Marteh wrote: »
    Plassey first! Has anyone had any issues with the application? the online induction isnt working and it says I havent paid my fee. :/

It takes time to process your payment and the induction was okay but I don't know if I finished it or not. Got to the page where they show you the video and list everything they've said in that video on the page. Maybe that's it but there a "Continue" button so Idk

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Got to the page where they show you the video and list everything they've said in that video on the page. Maybe that's it but there a "Continue" button so Idk

i think there's meant to be more than that. There's arrival and who's who and a few others, but when i hit 'Next' it just reloaded the same page. With no option to list. Maybe i have to wait until the payment has gone through.

AFAIK you don't have to do the induction until your room is confirmed.

I still find it funny that I get emails about doing "induction" after four years... :pac:

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'm half tempted to do the same... just wanna be warm for a change :D After living in Kilmurry in first year though, I wonder is it madness for fourth year... (darn you Dromroe and your expensiveness :()

Yeah I wanted dromroe too but way too expensive :( You can ask to be put with Erasmus students or anything but first year so you could try that? I might try t myself..

Asked already last week in the official bitch thread but anyone know what the security in Thomond will be like?

My house in Elm will be unbearable to be in next week...

• Advertisement

So having registered and applied for accommodation on Friday (with the fee paid) It still says I haven't paid it? And I haven't got an email or anything? Should I contact someone or is this normal? I'd hate to lose out on a place over something silly.
    Also if I should contact anyone, who should it be?

Advertisement